Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Disappointing

106 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TJAshton said:

Fans don’t win you games.

As if! Us fans can be like a 12th player generating a great atmosphere! How many times over the years have players come out and acknowledged the contribution of the fans in a team's victory? Admittedly, not so much this season at the Shay!! 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Che Bentos said:

As if! Us fans can be like a 12th player generating a great atmosphere! How many times over the years have players come out and acknowledged the contribution of the fans in a team's victory? Admittedly, not so much this season at the Shay!! 

I’m not on about the atmosphere. I’m on about how many people go home and away. 

Look at Wrexham for example, good atmosphere and brought over 1000 away but were absolutely dire on the pitch. Fans don’t win games 

Fullarton has earnt the right to build again for next season, a lot of mistakes have been made this time around but there have been signs in the last few months that he’s learning.

One thing he can’t do next season is complain about finances and blame that if we struggle. It doesn’t wash. We have a budget that would put us in a comfortable spot if that’s how the league was worked out. He’s right though, we don’t have loads of money, so he can’t afford to waste wages and in some cases transfer fees. Odelusi,  Preston, Edwards, McLeod, have all been shocking. Southwell is on good money and hasn’t produced enough, I’d argue Berrett has been average at best on the whole as well. We paid money for Hanson then wouldn’t play him, we’ve spent good wages on players with lots of cover in certain positions and neglected others - did we really need Maher and Staunton, or both Hanson and Duckworth, or Tomlinson, Odelusi, Preston, McLeod and Kosylo for the 2 wingers spots?

Hopefully he’s gained a bit of experience and knowledge about squad building for this close season.

4 people like this

7 hours ago, TJAshton said:

I don’t agree that dropping prices is ambitious it’s just enticing more fans down. Fans don’t win you games. It’s great that they’ve done it but he has said that whatever the ST sales hit it doesn’t depend on playing budget. 

If we grow out fanbase it enables us to increase our turnover. If we do that then we can increase our budget and attract better players.

That is the idea behind the cheap season tickets. Whether you agree or not it's a fact TJ. I can't put it any simpler than that. :doh:

31 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

If we grow out fanbase it enables us to increase our turnover. If we do that then we can increase our budget and attract better players.

That is the idea behind the cheap season tickets. Whether you agree or not it's a fact TJ. I can't put it any simpler than that. :doh:

The fact is Our chairman has said ST sales aren’t depending on playing budget. Hence why I said it mate. 

Just now, TJAshton said:

The fact is Our chairman has said ST sales aren’t depending on playing budget. Hence why I said it mate. 

It's about future growth TJ. Not next season but seasons after that. It's about trying to build out fanbase in the future. Trying to attract fans who don't normally buy a season ticket and who might watch say ten home games and a few away to watch every game and hopefully even attract new fans as well. They are doing this to try and grow our fanbase for seasons to come. If the club had done this prior to our promotion to the National League the first time, when the likes of Lee Gregory were at the club then who knows where we might have been now. But at least they've taken the brave step to try and help the club grow. 

Without a big investor or huge sponsorship deals which you're unlikely to get at this level, it's our only hope.

The scheme is all about future growth in seasons to come, not so much next season mate 

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Bobbins said:

Fullarton has earnt the right to build again for next season, a lot of mistakes have been made this time around but there have been signs in the last few months that he’s learning.

One thing he can’t do next season is complain about finances and blame that if we struggle. It doesn’t wash. We have a budget that would put us in a comfortable spot if that’s how the league was worked out. He’s right though, we don’t have loads of money, so he can’t afford to waste wages and in some cases transfer fees. Odelusi,  Preston, Edwards, McLeod, have all been shocking. Southwell is on good money and hasn’t produced enough, I’d argue Berrett has been average at best on the whole as well. We paid money for Hanson then wouldn’t play him, we’ve spent good wages on players with lots of cover in certain positions and neglected others - did we really need Maher and Staunton, or both Hanson and Duckworth, or Tomlinson, Odelusi, Preston, McLeod and Kosylo for the 2 wingers spots?

Hopefully he’s gained a bit of experience and knowledge about squad building for this close season.

Excellent post

On 24/04/2019, 13:49:32, Bobbins said:

- did we really need Maher and Staunton, or both Hanson and Duckworth, or Tomlinson, Odelusi, Preston, McLeod and Kosylo for the 2 wingers spots?

On Monday both Duckie and Hanson were injured, Maher filled right back. Preston replaced the Gondola as sub, Kosylo played the rest were injured except Staunton an unused sub. On Saturday Staunton played for Maher who was injured.

so I would say they were needed, as over the season only McLeod hasn’t reach double figures in appearances of those you listed. (I think).

Surprised to see Odelusi has made so many appearances this season. Admittedly, I've missed a few matches but I don't think I've ever seen him on the pitch. Perhaps he was there but I just didn't notice him! 

1 minute ago, Che Bentos said:

Surprised to see Odelusi has made so many appearances this season. Admittedly, I've missed a few matches but I don't think I've ever seen him on the pitch. Perhaps he was there but I just didn't notice him! 

He must have ghosted past the oppos and subjected them to blind pressure.:o

2 people like this

13 hours ago, Riders of Rohan said:

so I would say they were needed, as over the season only McLeod hasn’t reach double figures in appearances of those you listed. (I think).

McLeod made 10 appearances for Town, however that includes 2/3 WRCC matches? 

12 hours ago, Che Bentos said:

Made 19 appearances but mostly as a sub. 

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Che Bentos said:

Think yourself lucky - he’s played every time I’ve seen us.

2 hours ago, greg45 said:

Think yourself lucky - he’s played every time I’ve seen us.

Poor sod

On 4/21/2019, 5:48:23, Hoddie said:

Town's history may be littered with financial black holes, but that's as much to do with mismanagement as it is our lack of cash-generating abilities. There are teams who for years were on a par with Town, supporter wise I mean, yet have found that their natural level is higher than history suggests it should be. Town on the other hand have stubbed their metaphorical little toes on every possible obstacle over the last 30 years and more, and consequently most supporters now believe that tier five is our natural level. Some even think Conference North is our natural level.

It's a lack of ambition and I struggle to accept the excuses. Of course having Huddersfield and Bradford on our doorstep will have some bearing on us, but not to the point where our ability to push past the lower half of tier 5 is completely retarded. Having a "successful" rugby league club in the town (and typing that was a struggle believe me) also dilutes our support. But Town is not in a unique position. Hull/Grimsby, Orient/a dozen London clubs, Man City/United/every other club in Greater Manchester. If all these other 'small' clubs can find their own way despite being the small fish in a small pond full of big fish, why can't Town?

Cash would certainly help but we've literally proved before that the club can achieve the (almost) impossible despite being skint. Look at 1997, the club was on its arse both on the field and in cash terms. Within 12-18 months we'd won the league and paid a hefty share towards two brand new stands.

We need to look up and forward rather than behind and sideways. Stop accepting mediocrity because we've been fortunate enough to see some fantastic players come through this club, and we've had more success than we probably deserve in recent times. We should be striving for more of the same, not suggesting that 5th bottom after spending more money than we have in over a decade is in any way acceptable.

If our future is to be defined by our past, let's give up now. Seriously.

Agree with every word 

our weaknesses or toe stubbing as you put it is every time we have money and we have had times when we have had cash in the bank we have blown it wasted it .. crazy ground development.. big wages on journeymen who never delivered.. ridiculous transfers ( how much was Tate) 

We need ambition.. it about getting better and going forward every year standing still is not an option 

no club shop after all these years, no agreement to share the revenue from the east stand, hit and miss local engagement.. no locally developed players .. non of these cost money.. but a total failure to achieve any of these means we are standing still 

ambition = desire to get better on and off the field each year 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

Agree with every word 

our weaknesses or toe stubbing as you put it is every time we have money and we have had times when we have had cash in the bank we have blown it wasted it .. crazy ground development.. big wages on journeymen who never delivered.. ridiculous transfers ( how much was Tate) 

We need ambition.. it about getting better and going forward every year standing still is not an option 

no club shop after all these years, no agreement to share the revenue from the east stand, hit and miss local engagement.. no locally developed players .. non of these cost money.. but a total failure to achieve any of these means we are standing still 

ambition = desire to get better on and off the field each year 

I agree Nick and by and large this BoD have achieved that, but at glacial speed off the field which will undoubtedly have hampered the on-field progress. This season has been a disaster but it was a tentative first step at going full time. Build on that, learn from the players that were signed and make better decisions going forward. I have every confidence in this BoD now that their off-field activities have improved. Again, it's taken a decade to get to this point but we're here now so let's celebrate that, and at the same time believe there's much more can be done. A football club should be a focal point of a community, not a leech on it, and the opportunities are almost limitless.

Commercial activities have come on leaps and bounds these last few seasons. Getting shirts and season tickets out early, having some fan involvement in the designs of the former, and the collaboration with Harveys is all positive stuff, arguably better than most previous BoD's have achieved in this direction. The training days for the kids are fantastic, having a youth team is a great leap in the right direction. I'm not exactly sure what's changed, perhaps it's the staff, perhaps it's DB that's mellowed or maybe a slow-burn approach was his plan all along, who knows?

The lack of a club shop is a negative for sure, but one that's been mitigated by the deal with Harveys and having a reasonable selection of stuff available online. I can't help but think back to when Bubba was commercial manager and he oversaw the introduction of a club shop in the Westgate Market - a profitable venture for the entire time it remained open. It proves its possible. I remember Tony Thwaites' shop outside the Co-Op, the two run by Elaine and the Jim Brown-era one by the Royal Oak. I used to send my mom down to buy stuff all the time, book me on coaches, queue for tickets for the occasional big cup games, etc. There's no way she would ever do any of that if it means a long schlepp down to the Shay. 

I hope this BoD are not 'happy' with Conference football. That's my biggest concern now. I also hope they don't stop pushing on. And, again, I wish they'd stop trying to be a halfway house for thugs. It simply isn't necessary and carries far more risk than it does a chance of reward.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

I agree Nick and by and large this BoD have achieved that, but at glacial speed off the field which will undoubtedly have hampered the on-field progress. This season has been a disaster but it was a tentative first step at going full time. Build on that, learn from the players that were signed and make better decisions going forward. I have every confidence in this BoD now that their off-field activities have improved. Again, it's taken a decade to get to this point but we're here now so let's celebrate that, and at the same time believe there's much more can be done. A football club should be a focal point of a community, not a leech on it, and the opportunities are almost limitless.

Commercial activities have come on leaps and bounds these last few seasons. Getting shirts and season tickets out early, having some fan involvement in the designs of the former, and the collaboration with Harveys is all positive stuff, arguably better than most previous BoD's have achieved in this direction. The training days for the kids are fantastic, having a youth team is a great leap in the right direction. I'm not exactly sure what's changed, perhaps it's the staff, perhaps it's DB that's mellowed or maybe a slow-burn approach was his plan all along, who knows?

The lack of a club shop is a negative for sure, but one that's been mitigated by the deal with Harveys and having a reasonable selection of stuff available online. I can't help but think back to when Bubba was commercial manager and he oversaw the introduction of a club shop in the Westgate Market - a profitable venture for the entire time it remained open. It proves its possible. I remember Tony Thwaites' shop outside the Co-Op, the two run by Elaine and the Jim Brown-era one by the Royal Oak. I used to send my mom down to buy stuff all the time, book me on coaches, queue for tickets for the occasional big cup games, etc. There's no way she would ever do any of that if it means a long schlepp down to the Shay. 

I hope this BoD are not 'happy' with Conference football. That's my biggest concern now. I also hope they don't stop pushing on. And, again, I wish they'd stop trying to be a halfway house for thugs. It simply isn't necessary and carries far more risk than it does a chance of reward.

Wow completely agree again .. will you marry me :) 

think the kids training initiative is great .. more more more of these things 

while this BOD has been glacial in its speed they are a million miles from some of the cowboys we have had 

nick 

2 people like this

13 minutes ago, Nick said:

Wow completely agree again .. will you marry me :) 

think the kids training initiative is great .. more more more of these things 

while this BOD has been glacial in its speed they are a million miles from some of the cowboys we have had 

nick 

I don't know how to tell you this Nick but I'm engaged to JGN1 :)

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

I don't know how to tell you this Nick but I'm engaged to JGN1 :)

Cue Paula Abdul...

Just thinking. How does Amazon manage without a shop?

2 people like this

Just now, Riders of Rohan said:

Yes, online merch and the pop-up shop is fine now. 

16 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Tax dodging and union busting. Worker conditions including surveillance handcuffs that force them into precise movements like cattle prods, toilet breaks so extensively surveilled that many workers urinate in bottles, welfare standards so poor that ambulance call-outs vastly outstrip similar workplaces, forcing heavily pregnant women to stand constantly for 10-hour shifts, constant harassment through telemetric monitoring of delivery vehicles, paying workers in Scotland so poor that they sleep in tents in a wood beside the warehouse...

Just now, Pliny Harris said:

Tax dodging and union busting. Worker conditions including surveillance handcuffs that force them into precise movements like cattle prods, toilet breaks so extensively surveilled that many workers urinate in bottles, welfare standards so poor that ambulance call-outs vastly outstrip similar workplaces, forcing heavily pregnant women to stand constantly for 10-hour shifts, constant harassment through telemetric monitoring of delivery vehicles, paying workers in Scotland so poor that they sleep in tents in a wood beside the warehouse...

Obviously all that would be different if only they had a shop.

50 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Two points... unlike Town, Amazon doesn't have clients without internet access. And they do have shops and other convenient pick-up points.

18 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Two points... unlike Town, Amazon doesn't have clients without internet access. And they do have shops and other convenient pick-up points.

Similarly you don’t visit the Amazon warehouse every fortnight. Whereas Town supporters do visit the Shay from time to time. Having run a shop business for last 6 years I know the costs involved, and I think they have done a great job securing the Harvey’s deal for merchandise. Tickets sales are from The Shay like every other football club. The rest of us can manage with the internet. 

The choice is pay a landlord or pay a player, which is it?

1 person likes this