Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Disappointing

106 posts in this topic

Just now, Hoddie said:

So many contradictions in there Archie. Yes, Halifax Town have a lot of big teams within travel distance, but so do 90% of every lower league club. Rochdale are much closer to the Manchester clubs yet consistently do better than the Shaymen. You mention Orient who are surrounded by a plethora of much bigger clubs, but they reached the top division after having played alongside Town in the lower leagues.

It is possible. The biggest problem with Town - at least in my opinion - is a lack of ambition and a collective sense of "well it's Halifax Town, what do you expect?"

As I’ve said all season and for many seasons, this BOD have no ambition at all. Dropping ST prices isn’t ambition at all it’s just trying to get more fans which is all good but when performances and results don’t follow then neither will attendances. 

Basically Hoddie we are agreeing!!! My point was that such as Orient & Wrexham have played much higher levels and their fan base's are much bigger than ours outright. There are countless teams who have skirted the lower leagues with us over the years, Rochdale, Torquay, Hartlepool, Darlington, Crewe!! You get my drift?? There are teams that have gone from the very top to the very bottom, Huddersfield, Bradford, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Fulham. The real point I'm trying to get out of my system is:- We are what we are. We've never moved higher than the old 3rd Division, I know we only just missed out that one time, but our history is one of basically perpetual struggle and unless a financial backer is found who would be willing to inject squillions we are where we will be forever!!! Sorry but that's just a fact mate.

1 person likes this

If you want a definition of disappointing the just look at Man U 

some of their big names are just greedy deluded lazy good for nothing fools

nick 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Town's history may be littered with financial black holes, but that's as much to do with mismanagement as it is our lack of cash-generating abilities. There are teams who for years were on a par with Town, supporter wise I mean, yet have found that their natural level is higher than history suggests it should be. Town on the other hand have stubbed their metaphorical little toes on every possible obstacle over the last 30 years and more, and consequently most supporters now believe that tier five is our natural level. Some even think Conference North is our natural level.

It's a lack of ambition and I struggle to accept the excuses. Of course having Huddersfield and Bradford on our doorstep will have some bearing on us, but not to the point where our ability to push past the lower half of tier 5 is completely retarded. Having a "successful" rugby league club in the town (and typing that was a struggle believe me) also dilutes our support. But Town is not in a unique position. Hull/Grimsby, Orient/a dozen London clubs, Man City/United/every other club in Greater Manchester. If all these other 'small' clubs can find their own way despite being the small fish in a small pond full of big fish, why can't Town?

Cash would certainly help but we've literally proved before that the club can achieve the (almost) impossible despite being skint. Look at 1997, the club was on its arse both on the field and in cash terms. Within 12-18 months we'd won the league and paid a hefty share towards two brand new stands.

We need to look up and forward rather than behind and sideways. Stop accepting mediocrity because we've been fortunate enough to see some fantastic players come through this club, and we've had more success than we probably deserve in recent times. We should be striving for more of the same, not suggesting that 5th bottom after spending more money than we have in over a decade is in any way acceptable.

If our future is to be defined by our past, let's give up now. Seriously.

I would say that Burnley FC has more of an effect on our attendances than Bradford. Once you're past Mytholmroyd they're pretty much all Clarets.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Bill Atkins said:

Having supported the club for over sixty the number of times people at work, in pubs and friends have said Halifax Town are s***e and then when you ask have you watched them the answer is no that relates to a number of posters on this site. Alex Ferguson was once asked if he had the hardest job in football he replied no Mickey Bullock at Halifax Town has. All of us want success but due to financial restraints success only rears its head infrequently. Financial constraints apply to ever professional club in any sport. Yorkshire Carnegie in rugby union have ploughed 3million pounds trying to get promoted to the Rugby Union premiership. Having failed they have released all but six players and gone part time and reduced their playing budget by 40%. Nearer home David Brook ploughed money into both Halifax rugby clubs and look where they both reside. Comments on the side,s playing ability are valid as well as the manager,s tactics but sometimes they seem shallow when the most vociferous contributors have not watched the game. Very similar to saying I listened to my mates or read it on the internet. Very similar to posting adverse comments about Rodney because they appeared on the internet. We have not been relegated and are still solvent I know these are only small acorns but let’s hope next season sees some growth

It was actually Ron Atkinson when he was at ManUtd who said Mickey Bullock had the hardest job in Football,Bullock and Atkinson were teammates at Oxford Utd,Shortly after Atkinson said that he would sent a team to the Shay for a friendly everyone thought that Atkinson was going to send a decent team and it was there reserves which included a certain Peter Beardsley who was on loan from Vancouver Whitecaps.

Edited by Forever a Shayman
1 person likes this

Just now, Forever a Shayman said:

It was actually Ron Atkinson when he was at ManUtd who said Mickey Bullock had the hardest job in Football,Bullock and Atkinson were teammates at Oxford Utd,Shortly after Atkinson said that he sent a team to the Shay for a friendly everyone thought that Atkinson was going to send a decent team and it was there reserves which included a certain Peter Beardsley who was on loan from Vancouver Whitecaps.

83/84 season?

Just now, Erik Everhard said:

83/84 season?

Think it was 83/84I think we got beaten 2-3 with them scoring the winner in the last minute .

1 hour ago, Forever a Shayman said:

Think it was 83/84I think we got beaten 2-3 with them scoring the winner in the last minute .

December 1982.

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I think we can guess who our big earners are. Maybe it's time to renegotiate with our big earners. I'm not talking a huge drop in their salary. Just enough to free up some cash to attract a striker who can find the back of the net more than 8 times in a season.

Well one of them will be on his way 

21 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I think we can guess who our big earners are. Maybe it's time to renegotiate with our big earners. I'm not talking a huge drop in their salary. Just enough to free up some cash to attract a striker who can find the back of the net more than 8 times in a season.

20 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Erik are you thinking of Southwell ? he has got another 12 months on his contract he will not renegotiate unless it's in his favour and why should he?        Papa are you thinking off Edwards? I Reckon Preston will also be going too.

49 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Odelusi?

21 minutes ago, Forever a Shayman said:

Erik are you thinking of Southwell ? he has got another 12 months on his contract he will not renegotiate unless it's in his favour and why should he?        Papa are you thinking off Edwards? I Reckon Preston will also be going too.

I would think that Brown and Clarke will be up there. The experience of Clarke won't come cheap. 

It wouldn't surprise me if both Odelusi and Southwell are on decent money.

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I would think that Brown and Clarke will be up there. The experience of Clarke won't come cheap. 

It wouldn't surprise me if both Odelusi and Southwell are on decent money.

Is Odalusi contract up I would expect him also to go ,When you get the likes of Clarke who wants to stay and Brown still under contract for another 12 months they won’t come cheap you peanuts for poor quality players 

Edited by Forever a Shayman

20 hours ago, Forever a Shayman said:

Kosy

20 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

Odelusi?

Kosy 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Kosy 

I wonder where to.

Edited by Erik Everhard

4 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Kosy

That’s been nailed since the club took up an option on his contract when he really wanted to leave .

1 hour ago, Forever a Shayman said:

That’s been nailed since the club took up an option on his contract when he really wanted to leave .

We can get better and he will be on decent money. 

On 21/04/2019, 08:27:41, archietaylor7 said:

Riders of Rohan

•  
  • photo-thumb-798.jpg
  • Members
  • 2,058 posts

Oh fickle fools.

Go back two games, and 2-1 up at Leyton Orient until the 94th minute and we were world beaters on here. 

Yesterday but for their keepers desperate last minute tackle on Dave we’d have equalised in the 93rd minute. 

Results don’t matter for us now,relax Archie, enjoy the summer. Ignore the experts who will constantly tell you all about every new signing, stress about pre season results and examine the league table in August. Nothing is decided nothing is known until many weeks into each season. There’s certainly nothing new to be gained from these last two games just enjoy the football without any pressure.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry Rider, but your the one that's partially wrong!!!! Theres everything to play for. Next least ticket sales for next season. Players looking for contracts etc. But more importantly, pride and the club shirt. Next season will take care of itself, we'll know by late September/October how things will pan out (again). But in the here and now things are it's extremely disappointing that we cant be bothered to dig out a couple of results to give the long suffering supporters something to cheer about. Us fools realise that its specifically the result against Leyton Orient that makes the Bromley & Hartlepool results so poor. Orient, very likely Champions or at worst Runners up and we made them scramble until the 94th minute for a point, Orient, a really good footballing side that have taken most of the teams in this league to pieces!!! Probably the best result of the season for us (IMO), and yet two poor teams in and around us in the league and we seemingly cant be bothered. We could have ended this season on a relative high with a good mid table finish and some good results to get some interest generated for next season, as it stands I dont think we will take anything from the remaining two games and we will finish 5th bottom. Disappointing.

Hope you are a bit happier tonight Archie than you were on Saturday. 

I am too, but in the scheme of things for us the result doesn’t matter, finishing 16th or 18th or whatever matters for nothing.

1 person likes this

On 20/04/2019, 22:36:39, Scot said:

Get rid I say .. I’d be happy if the club did to be honest 

The reality is that the club doesn’t have the finance to compete in all reality to some people’s expectations.

JF is looking at sources all across the country to try and find players for next to nothing (trust me I’ve been involved).

its a really frustrating picture as other teams in the NL just offer much more money and to get players who can actually kick the club on isn’t easy. There are loads of examples 

For once I agree with you TJ.. I think maybe it’s time for JF to move on.. he has burst his balls trying to find players who can make up squad numbers when the bigger earners eat up most of the budget .. but also finding folk with enough quality to help out at a price.

What happens is you have a squad where the majority of the budget is on your big hitters and the rest is spread on guys who may or may not do the business at a small price.

Everyone wants a solid defence ... a playmaker .. and goalscorers .. that costs money ... but you also need a squad.

It’s a hard equation and I know I bang on about money but it is how it is.

So in summary .. maybe you are right , maybe someone else needs to try and work their magic to improve things 

Scot, don't let them grind you down.

If we were top of the table the same people would not be satisfied and saying we can do better. They exist in all walks of life, its just football is a public entity and the players and management team's work is on show, whereas most peoples work is limited in its exposure.

I am disappointed with your conclusion. Its a tough and frustrating job, but that was known before he applied. I also doubt any other better jobs are likely to be offered to him as his CV is somewhat limited. Keeping FCHT in the National League twice may not be enough to convince a future employer (unless in dire straits in the relegation zone). 

There is a job to be done here by someone, the next few weeks will be important for whoever is at the helm, your friend should take the bull by the horns as he is in the driving seat and may not get another chance at it (anywhere).

2 people like this

RoR's right, we've always had the moaners and the malcontents and it's their way of venting. You don't have to take what they say too seriously, cos frankly they never appreciate a good squad and manager when it gets them into the playoffs anyway. 

I really wish every manager the best. Jamie Fullarton'sgot himself another season to really become the manager he should be. Personally, I can't see us getting where we want to be with him, because though I like his modern coaching style, and I feel the people who nitpick over his jargon are doing so because they already don't like him, I don't think he instils this sense of confidence and winning attitude into our players. Yes, such a manager would annoy a fair share of our fans cos they may be chronic whingers like a certain Chris Wilder was. In my view there's been too much settling for draws, and too few examples of us fighting to win outright rather than just by the skin of our teeth. I think we beat Braintree, Maidstone, Barnet and Solihull by 2+ goals all season. The latter two came from a loan market booster, but credit where credit's due for that. I want to see that sort of tenacity in our play much, much more. Will he do it? I'm not so sure, but as Michael Stipe once sang, 'Everyyybody leaaarns, sometimes...' 

On 21/04/2019, 17:00:44, TJAshton said:

As I’ve said all season and for many seasons, this BOD have no ambition at all. Dropping ST prices isn’t ambition at all it’s just trying to get more fans which is all good but when performances and results don’t follow then neither will attendances. 

Trying to get more fans is ambitious. If you have more fans then you stand a chance of increasing your income, which in turn gives you more money to spend on transfer fees. The season ticket offer shoes ambition. You've ki d of contradicted yourself but maybe not quite understanding the reasons behind a drop in price.

13 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

Trying to get more fans is ambitious. If you have more fans then you stand a chance of increasing your income, which in turn gives you more money to spend on transfer fees. The season ticket offer shoes ambition. You've ki d of contradicted yourself but maybe not quite understanding the reasons behind a drop in price.

I don’t agree that dropping prices is ambitious it’s just enticing more fans down. Fans don’t win you games. It’s great that they’ve done it but he has said that whatever the ST sales hit it doesn’t depend on playing budget. 

45 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

I don’t agree that dropping prices is ambitious it’s just enticing more fans down. Fans don’t win you games. It’s great that they’ve done it but he has said that whatever the ST sales hit it doesn’t depend on playing budget. 

A potential Increase in ST sales will help cashflow (The lifeblood of running a company) If the board,s gamble leads to producing a pot of money upfront the club may be in a position to bid/attract/offer deals to potential signings earlier. The board seem to always be on the defensive with some contributors on this forum 

1 person likes this