Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Disappointing

106 posts in this topic

It's really disappointing that once again we came away from a game having lost. When we had four games left I wrote in a thread that I genuinely thought we could win three. What makes it doubly disappointing is that we have lead in both previous games and let both games slip. Someone has asked in a thread what's happened to our defence, seemingly unbeatable only a couple of weeks ago??? Well it would seem that safety has been our undoing, since we secured our place in this league for next season the team seem to have gone on holiday!!! With both Wrexham & Fylde left to play I'm not holding out for to much of a happy ending to the season, and the chance to impress the maybe brigade into possibly buying a season ticket hasnt been helped at all!!!! Very Disappointing!!

2 people like this

Agreed

Come on now Archie. Can’t believe these impossible-to-please fans who expect us to win more than once a month.

A game that makes pre season friendlies sound important . This is our equivalent of the rugby season

We need not only to impress supporters but also our loan players and others 

Rodney will not want to join a losing team.. he will stay at Salford or join a team that he thinks can win 

nick 

Oh fickle fools.

Go back two games, and 2-1 up at Leyton Orient until the 94th minute and we were world beaters on here. 

Yesterday but for their keepers desperate last minute tackle on Dave we’d have equalised in the 93rd minute. 

Results don’t matter for us now,relax Archie, enjoy the summer. Ignore the experts who will constantly tell you all about every new signing, stress about pre season results and examine the league table in August. Nothing is decided nothing is known until many weeks into each season. There’s certainly nothing new to be gained from these last two games just enjoy the football without any pressure.

I think was is disappointing is the complete loss of momentum and feel good factor that will impact on next season and also season ticket sales, another self implicated nail .

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Oh fickle fools.

Go back two games, and 2-1 up at Leyton Orient until the 94th minute and we were world beaters on here. 

Yesterday but for their keepers desperate last minute tackle on Dave we’d have equalised in the 93rd minute. 

Results don’t matter for us now,relax Archie, enjoy the summer. Ignore the experts who will constantly tell you all about every new signing, stress about pre season results and examine the league table in August. Nothing is decided nothing is known until many weeks into each season. There’s certainly nothing new to be gained from these last two games just enjoy the football without any pressure.

The signs aren't great though, are they? I think there are positives, such as Sam, Brown, Clarke, Hanson has potential and so does King. Maher has done well in his blocking and hoofing role. 

The problem is that the game is all about getting the ball in the the opposition's net more times than they get it in yours. That requires a player or players who are capable of doing just that. Can Fullarton sign the right players that enable us to do just that or  is he just a one trick, defensive pony? It looks like the latter to me. 

The thing is, it's not just about the players we sign. It is also about our formation, our shape and our intent. Our intent for most of the season has been not to lose. Good idea. If you don't lose then you achieve one point and maybe even a clean sheet. The problem with this plan is that it should never be the case unless you are playing against a higher up team in the cup and you want the revenue from a replay. Every team should set out to win a game and the only way to achieve this is to pick a team and formation that can win a game. Ok, he might not have had the firepower he needed until his decent loanees came in but he signed all the duds. 

I really do hope he can sign some decent forwards for next season. If he doesn't and he continues with this defensive formation and mindset then there's a good chance we'll go down next time because teams will know what to expect and they'll pick a side and train them accordingly.

Going back to yesterday's game, it was an important game. If we'd beaten them then we'd go out of their range for a game or two. Instead, they won and went above us in the table, if I remember rightly. The club are trying to grow the fanbase and are offering discount season tickets. Everyone at the club should be hoping and trying to achieve wins for the rest of the season so that fans will buy a ticket. If we lose all our games that chances of fans and especially new fans buying them decreases.

I can't wait for this season to end. It honestly feels like it's gone on for a few years. It's been one of the most boring that I can remember and I watched Halifax Town for decades.

Anyway, let's all put our false smile on and pretend everything is ok and just buy a season ticket. Whatever you do don't complain and sit there and clap. North Korean style 

Edited by Erik Everhard
3 people like this

36 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

The signs aren't great though, are they? I think there are positives, such as Sam, Brown, Clarke, Hanson has potential and so does King. Maher has done well in his blocking and hoofing role. 

The problem is that the game is all about getting the ball in the the opposition's net more times than they get it in yours. That requires a player or players who are capable of doing just that. Can Fullarton sign the right players that enable us to do just that or  is he just a one trick, defensive pony? It looks like the latter to me. 

The thing is, it's not just about the players we sign. It is also about our formation, our shape and our intent. Our intent for most of the season has been not to lose. Good idea. If you don't lose then you achieve one point and maybe even a clean sheet. The problem with this plan is that it should never be the case unless you are playing against a higher up team in the cup and you want the revenue from a replay. Every team should set out to win a game and the only way to achieve this is to pick a team and formation that can win a game. Ok, he might not have had the firepower he needed until his decent loanees came in but he signed all the duds. 

I really do hope he can sign some decent forwards for next season. If he doesn't and he continues with this defensive formation and mindset then there's a good chance we'll go down next time because teams will know what to expect and they'll pick a side and train them accordingly.

Going back to yesterday's game, it was an important game. If we'd beaten them then we'd go out of their range for a game or two. Instead, they won and went above us in the table, if I remember rightly. The club are trying to grow the fanbase and are offering discount season tickets. Everyone at the club should be hoping and trying to achieve wins for the rest of the season so that fans will buy a ticket. If we lose all our games that chances of fans and especially new fans buying them decreases.

I can't wait for this season to end. It honestly feels like it's gone on for a few years. It's been one of the most boring that I can remember and I watched Halifax Town for decades.

Anyway, let's all put our false smile on and pretend everything is ok and just buy a season ticket. Whatever you do don't complain and sit there and clap. North Korean style 

If you really thought yesterday’s game was important then feel free to be disappointed. 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

If you really thought yesterday’s game was important then feel free to be disappointed. 

Gutted.

1 person likes this

Until a system is created where clubs and players are rewarded based upon league position, you will struggle for end of season excitement

4 hours ago, TJAshton said:

World beaters? Yes we were winning but my god it sounded like we were battered. Sat so deep inviting pressure would only mean they were gonna score. 

Again going back to stats but 1 win in 8 now and the 2 in 25 or whatever embarrassing stat it was is not a decent season at all and no wonder people are undecided on a season ticket. 

I am undecided and the only thing stopping me buying a season ticket is Fullarton. He’s just not the man for the job to progress this club. 

Get rid I say .. I’d be happy if the club did to be honest 

The reality is that the club doesn’t have the finance to compete in all reality to some people’s expectations.

JF is looking at sources all across the country to try and find players for next to nothing (trust me I’ve been involved).

its a really frustrating picture as other teams in the NL just offer much more money and to get players who can actually kick the club on isn’t easy. There are loads of examples 

For once I agree with you TJ.. I think maybe it’s time for JF to move on.. he has burst his balls trying to find players who can make up squad numbers when the bigger earners eat up most of the budget .. but also finding folk with enough quality to help out at a price.

What happens is you have a squad where the majority of the budget is on your big hitters and the rest is spread on guys who may or may not do the business at a small price.

Everyone wants a solid defence ... a playmaker .. and goalscorers .. that costs money ... but you also need a squad.

It’s a hard equation and I know I bang on about money but it is how it is.

So in summary .. maybe you are right , maybe someone else needs to try and work their magic to improve things 

25 minutes ago, Scot said:

The reality is that the club doesn’t have the finance to compete in all reality to some people’s expectations.

JF is looking at sources all across the country to try and find players for next to nothing (trust me I’ve been involved).

its a really frustrating picture as other teams in the NL just offer much more money and to get players who can actually kick the club on isn’t easy. There are loads of examples 

For once I agree with you TJ.. I think maybe it’s time for JF to move on.. he has burst his balls trying to find players who can make up squad numbers when the bigger earners eat up most of the budget .. but also finding folk with enough quality to help out at a price.

What happens is you have a squad where the majority of the budget is on your big hitters and the rest is spread on guys who may or may not do the business at a small price.

Everyone wants a solid defence ... a playmaker .. and goalscorers .. that costs money ... but you also need a squad.

So in summary .. maybe you are right , maybe someone else needs to try and work their magic to improve things 

Eye opening post

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, vinnyweknuts said:

Eye opening post

I think we can guess who our big earners are. Maybe it's time to renegotiate with our big earners. I'm not talking a huge drop in their salary. Just enough to free up some cash to attract a striker who can find the back of the net more than 8 times in a season.

Edited by Erik Everhard

1 hour ago, Scot said:

How does that make a difference to a side that has played reasonably well in the first half, which has enabled them to take a one nil lead, and  then they come out and sit back, once again, in the second half, and then concede two goals? 

Tactics. Tactics don't cost money. A decent coach or manager would know how to make effective changes when needed and which tactics to adopt to win the game.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Scot said:

Previous Town managers have built sides to challenge for the playoffs where JF seems to be struggling, despite having the new club's biggest ever budget and best ever facilities. What's so different? You're seemingly suggesting that JF really can't lose. If he does well, he's a fantastic manager succeeding against the odds, and if he fails, it's the club's fault for not having Chelsea's finances. Hyperbole obviously but that's your generic argument. It's never his fault.

It is the tactics that are more to blame, not the finances. Scot would make a great defence lawyer but his client would still hang.

One simple solution going off the evidence  would be to ban Fullarton from the dressing room at half time 

Riders of Rohan

•  
  • photo-thumb-798.jpg
  • Members
  • 2,058 posts

Oh fickle fools.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry Rider, but your the one that's partially wrong!!!! Theres everything to play for. Next least ticket sales for next season. Players looking for contracts etc. But more importantly, pride and the club shirt. Next season will take care of itself, we'll know by late September/October how things will pan out (again). But in the here and now things are it's extremely disappointing that we cant be bothered to dig out a couple of results to give the long suffering supporters something to cheer about. Us fools realise that its specifically the result against Leyton Orient that makes the Bromley & Hartlepool results so poor. Orient, very likely Champions or at worst Runners up and we made them scramble until the 94th minute for a point, Orient, a really good footballing side that have taken most of the teams in this league to pieces!!! Probably the best result of the season for us (IMO), and yet two poor teams in and around us in the league and we seemingly cant be bothered. We could have ended this season on a relative high with a good mid table finish and some good results to get some interest generated for next season, as it stands I dont think we will take anything from the remaining two games and we will finish 5th bottom. Disappointing.

:lol: finishing 5th bottom makes finishing higher next season an easier challenge :shh: we could take the handbrake off a finish 6th bottom :doh:

2 people like this

10 hours ago, Scot said:

Blimey even Scot , or is it Dave ?? Has given up the ghost 

I think it’s fair to say we’d have to significantly over achieve our finances to make the play offs.

Not saying it’s impossible and we should absolutely have that mission in mind. But, it also doesn’t mean every manager who doesn’t make the play offs is a failure.

It’s been a disappointing season, but enough seen to give Fullarton another IMO.

8 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

How does that make a difference to a side that has played reasonably well in the first half, which has enabled them to take a one nil lead, and  then they come out and sit back, once again, in the second half, and then concede two goals? 

Tactics. Tactics don't cost money. A decent coach or manager would know how to make effective changes when needed and which tactics to adopt to win the game.

Erik, only replying to TJ’s post about JF in general

Just trying to give some context that’s all 

30 minutes ago, Jmc said:

Blimey even Scot , or is it Dave ?? Has given up the ghost 

Not given up anything but I do see the effect it has on him and any pal would look after his mate 

3 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Previous Town managers have built sides to challenge for the playoffs where JF seems to be struggling, despite having the new club's biggest ever budget and best ever facilities. What's so different? You're seemingly suggesting that JF really can't lose. If he does well, he's a fantastic manager succeeding against the odds, and if he fails, it's the club's fault for not having Chelsea's finances. Hyperbole obviously but that's your generic argument. It's never his fault.

It’s not about blame ... it’s about expectations