Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Today’s game Hartlepool

113 posts in this topic

Maybe my brain became addled listening to the endless get it forward drivel from those sat in front of me, but when the Pool fans started singing “your support is flipping crap” I nearly joined in.

Entertaining first half from both sides. Second half both sides cancelled each other out, with the exception of their goal. Started from a poor pass on half way line by Berrett, two further attempts to clear failed and the ball fell to their player unmarked in the penalty box. A cool finish. Brown blamed Staunton for it.

Their first goal was from poor defending on our left, not from Skarz but from Kossy. A few players had a pop at him for switching off which sent him into his usual sulk for a few minutes.

Too many had an off day today. King was embarrassing at times his passing was as though he was blindfold. Kossy had no impact whatsoever other than on their first goal. Hanson very poor game, switching off too much and out of position.

For those of you convinced that Fullerton’s half time team talk alters the game so that we lose it deliberately, have you ever considered that the opposition also play a part and may indeed have their own team talk and tactical adjustments. Today our players mistakes cost us the game not any appreciable change in tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Southwell 8

Kosylo 7

Rodney 6

Clarke 5

Preston 4

Edwards 3

Duku 3

Grim reading

Ouch! Cheers for that!

Go for gold Rodney! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

For those of you convinced that Fullerton’s half time team talk alters the game so that we lose it deliberately, have you ever considered that the opposition also play a part and may indeed have their own team talk and tactical adjustments. Today our players mistakes cost us the game not any appreciable change in tactics.

If so, then it follows that our second half team talks are consistently not up to scratch. Even if he motivates them and changes tactics to whatever degree, he's usually doing less than the dressing room opposite.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

If so, then it follows that our second half team talks are consistently not up to scratch. Even if he motivates them and changes tactics to whatever degree, he's usually doing less than the dressing room opposite.

More a case of us stopping them and they stopping us, today second half. My view always has been that players influence games more than managers do, our mistakes cost us today not our tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We have achieved safety in our first season as a semi full time club. 

I honestly don't know what to expect out of the next two games. We normally play well against good opposition although it's the last two games of the season. I do expect Kossy to put a shift in and maybe even score. He will be playing against two teams that could potentially sign him, if he plays well against them.

Just read the chap from't Couriers report from today's game and he gave Cameron King as his man of the match. I can't remember whose post or may e even posts that said King had a poor game.

 

Edited by Erik Everhard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

King definately had a bad day at the office. MOM for me was probably Staunton or Big Sam for a couple of cracking saves.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did OK in the first half attacking with purpose and had a couple if chances to go 2 up before they scored. Not the best view of their equaliser but looked to be an avoidable one. Second half we were flat and lost the tempo sitting deeper and inviting them on but not able to counter attack with any degree of success. Lost the midfield battle and missed Mahers bite and tenacity plus his protection of the back four. Too many poor and wayward passes gave the ball away cheaply in key areas and Kings game too was affected by Maher not bring there and having to play a slightly different role. Customary good saves from Big Sam and was left exposed for both goals particularly the second. Hope Jabba is OK and it was only a precautionary move bringing him off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nick said:

Maher perhaps ?

Just by chance has anybody else noticed that since Maher has been out injured I think we have conceded two goals a game... but certainly more goals than usual 

maybe the guy was doing a far better holding midfield role than anybody on here gave him credit for ... 

nick 

and Duckworth 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Scot said:

and Duckworth 

Yes since Hanson has come back in, we’ve conceded nearly two goals a game, shows to me that while Hanson has the potential, Duckworth is a lot more experienced and prob more reliable as a right back at this current time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We miss Duckworth and Maher for sure.

I also think we’ve missed Ferry’s energy. Berrett is decent, but not as mobile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nick said:

Maher perhaps ?

Just by chance has anybody else noticed that since Maher has been out injured I think we have conceded two goals a game... but certainly more goals than usual 

maybe the guy was doing a far better holding midfield role than anybody on here gave him credit for ... 

nick 

I have been saying here how good Maher is for some time. Got abuse for it, one of the experts asked me why I was drooling over him.

Not to worry. I rarely agree with the self appointed experts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

I have been saying here how good Maher is for some time. Got abuse for it, one of the experts asked me why I was drooling over him.

Not to worry. I rarely agree with the self appointed experts.

Maher is an unsung hero, once played in his correct position he is as good as any in this league as is Staunton. (both young) 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nick said:

Maher perhaps ?

Just by chance has anybody else noticed that since Maher has been out injured I think we have conceded two goals a game... but certainly more goals than usual 

maybe the guy was doing a far better holding midfield role than anybody on here gave him credit for ... 

nick 

Yes they have. Somebody pointed out on another thread yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appalling marking of their goalscorer for their winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I’m probably going to get pelters for this, but... I’d like to see Staunton alongside Brown at centre half next season.

We have defended excellently this season, in no small part due to a set up and a way of playing which has protected that centre half pairing. Don’t get me wrong they’ve also been very good as well.

It’s shown that when we’ve tried to a bit more expansive, and remove some of the protection that we’ve conceded goals.

Clarke absolutely deserves another contract (money dependent) but he’ll be 36 next season and Staunton didn’t captain England C as a centre half for nothing..

Edited by shaymandownsouff
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

I’m probably going to get pelters for this, but... I’d like to see Staunton alongside Brown at centre half next season.

We have defended excellently this season, in no small part due to a set up and a way of playing which has protected that centre half pairing. Don’t get me wrong they’ve also been very good as well.

It’s shown that when we’ve tried to a bit more expansive, and remove some of the protection that we’ve conceded goals.

Clarke absolutely deserves another contract (money dependent) but he’ll be 36 next season and Staunton didn’t captain England C as a centre half for nothing..

It’s too slow of a partnership unfortunately. They have been fantastic I agree but I’d also like to see him there. 

Staunton played CB at woking and was one of their favourite players and also England C Captain at playing CB. 

I’d seriously look at getting rid of Johnson, yes he does some good saves every now and then but he’s too slow, distribution is horrendous and doesn’t have a clue what to do when the ball is whipped into the box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Staunton & Brown CBs for me and offer Clarke player/coach to help the team along with Maher sat in front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, TJAshton said:

It’s too slow of a partnership unfortunately. They have been fantastic I agree but I’d also like to see him there. 

Staunton played CB at woking and was one of their favourite players and also England C Captain at playing CB. 

I’d seriously look at getting rid of Johnson, yes he does some good saves every now and then but he’s too slow, distribution is horrendous and doesn’t have a clue what to do when the ball is whipped into the box. 

Don’t disagree with any.. if you look at the start of the season we had four centre halves 

two older guys brown and Clarke .. experience but risk around injury and speed 

two younger guys Staunton and Maher younger talented but learning .. in some ways we had a perfect centreback squad 

the surprise in reality is that both brown and Clarke stayed injury and suspension free and played great .. leaving both Staunton and Maher out of position playing midfield roles due to our failure to get decent mid fielders in .. 

stuanton and Maher are the future and I believe contracted for next season, but I would like Clarke and brown next season too and perhaps a bit more open rotation .. but Maher seems to have adjusted to the holding midfield role.. 

we need to strengthen our mid field with a play maker and a box to box guy 

and the attack we know what we want :) 

nick 

Edited by Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TJAshton said:

It’s too slow of a partnership unfortunately. They have been fantastic I agree but I’d also like to see him there. 

Staunton played CB at woking and was one of their favourite players and also England C Captain at playing CB. 

I’d seriously look at getting rid of Johnson, yes he does some good saves every now and then but he’s too slow, distribution is horrendous and doesn’t have a clue what to do when the ball is whipped into the box. 

Wind your neck in. You haven’t been to games this last half of the season, and while Johnson positioning sometime catches him out, he’s been immense in goals. 

Also not once have we been done for pace this season in defence. 

Clarke and Brown have earnt their wages this season. And while I really like Staunton, and am glad he’s on a two year contract. He was also captain of a team as a CB that got relegated...

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shaymen down under said:

Wind your neck in. You haven’t been to games this last half of the season, and while Johnson positioning sometime catches him out, he’s been immense in goals. 

Also not once have we been done for pace this season in defence. 

Clarke and Brown have earnt their wages this season. And while I really like Staunton, and am glad he’s on a two year contract. He was also captain of a team as a CB that got relegated...

 

Completely agree, and I’d say Big Sam’s aerial command has improved massively this season. 

Staunton and Maher are both good footballers too and can certainly do a job in either holding midfield or at the back. Crux is that Brown and Clarke have been immense this season and made themselves undroppable. And for as bad as our injuries have been this season we’ve had a full year out of both of them (but for Brown’s red). That may not happen again next season so we will need players who can play a few positions and cover at the back when needed.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shaymen down under said:

Wind your neck in. You haven’t been to games this last half of the season, and while Johnson positioning sometime catches him out, he’s been immense in goals. 

Also not once have we been done for pace this season in defence. 

Clarke and Brown have earnt their wages this season. And while I really like Staunton, and am glad he’s on a two year contract. He was also captain of a team as a CB that got relegated...

 

As I’ve said they’ve played well. Johnson does good saves but that’s his job. Makes many mistakes as from crosses he’s terrible. 

I’ve watched him for 3/4 seasons is it now. And seen games this season as well so I’ve got a good enough reason for my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, shaymen down under said:

Wind your neck in. You haven’t been to games this last half of the season, and while Johnson positioning sometime catches him out, he’s been immense in goals. 

Also not once have we been done for pace this season in defence. 

Clarke and Brown have earnt their wages this season. And while I really like Staunton, and am glad he’s on a two year contract. He was also captain of a team as a CB that got relegated...

 

Completely agree with you regarding Sam.

Have to disagree on the centre halves though. Our full backs sit back to protect against a lack of pace and the fear of being caught impacts how we play.

Don’t think the comment on Staunton being relegated is fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

As I’ve said they’ve played well. Johnson does good saves but that’s his job. Makes many mistakes as from crosses he’s terrible. 

I’ve watched him for 3/4 seasons is it now. And seen games this season as well so I’ve got a good enough reason for my opinion 

The last few games down the Shay I've noticed that Sam has commanded his area and has been very vocal even against big teams that have tried to bully us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0