Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DB's Interview In't Courier

73 posts in this topic

When asked what happens if the club doesn't sell the required number of season-tickets,  Bosomworth said this doesnt impact on our playing budget.  We're saying this is what we're trying to build off the field.

This is good news indeed. My only criticism of this is that this should of been done on the back of the success we were having in the glue leagues. Never-the-less I applaud Mr B for this incentive. I think Erik's hope that we will shift 1500 is a little high but I sincerely hope we can hit four figures.

1500 optimistic but I’m certainly considering my first season ticket since 1998/99.

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, shaykehands said:

...  Bosomworth said this doesnt impact on our playing budget.  We're saying this is what we're trying to build off the field.

Very curious, I'd love to know how this is suddenly affordable, yet wasn't possible during all those years of 6-figure windfalls. Regardless, it's a cracking offer and the BoD deserve huge respect for taking the risk. Until and unless they tried something like this, nobody knew how the Calderdale public would react.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

When he says "there's nothing more we can do. The balls in your court"

That bit concerns me as there is a lot more they could do. Not on the offer front but certainly on the marketing and  publicising it bit. 

What we are trying to do here is get new fans. They won't be on the main promotion channels. May not have us liked on facebook. Follow on twitter or even log onto the official site. We need to be out there. Players/manager in schools. Billboards all around the town. Flyers in the John at pubs. A stall in the town centre. Selling them and promoting it on a daily basis. I'm sure there would be volunteers willing to help promore it. But all these things must be done. 

I don't think the "normal channels" will reach the people they want it to. Yes we as fans can do our bit. 

However the club needs to up there game and explore different Marketing channels if they want this to be a massive success. 

As he says there are people there for the big big games. 

Didn't we promote wembley on a giant screen in town though. 

Not sure how we marketed the Chorley game. 

I hope they are doing all they can

I have to again stress that i think this is a fantastic move and i'll be doing my bit and getting one 

Edited by Greggs
1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Greggs said:

That bit concerns me as there is a lot more they could do. Not on the offer front but certainly on the marketing and  publicising it bit. 

What we are trying to do here is get new fans. They won't be on the main promotion channels. May not have us liked on facebook. Follow on twitter or even log onto the official site. We need to be out there. Players/manager in schools. Billboards all around the town. Flyers in the John at pubs. A stall in the town centre. Selling them and promoting it on a daily basis. I'm sure there would be volunteers willing to help promote it. But all these things must be done. 

Promotion and information from the club incessantly until the start of next season.

None of the usual hibernation of the club's existence over the summer.

'Shaymen stats' type info circulating from the club to generate a build up of interest until the season starts.

Then it s over to JF to deliver

1 hour ago, Greggs said:

What we are trying to do here is get new fans. They won't be on the main promotion channels. May not have us liked on facebook. Follow on twitter or even log onto the official site. We need to be out there. Players/manager in schools. Billboards all around the town. Flyers in the John at pubs. A stall in the town centre. Selling them and promoting it on a daily basis. I'm sure there would be volunteers willing to help promore it. But all these things must be done. 

I don't think the "normal channels" will reach the people they want it to. Yes we as fans can do our bit. 

However the club needs to up there game and explore different Marketing channels if they want this to be a massive success. 

I have to again stress that i think this is a fantastic move and i'll be doing my bit and getting one 

30 000 followers on Twitter is great.

2 minutes ago, Bill Atkins said:

If Hoddie thinks it is a good marketing initiative it is good enough for me. After  longer supporting town for longer than I care to remember (Peter Tilley onwards)I will be purchasing my first ever season ticket

Foregot he made over a 100 appearances for Arsenal.

One thing that would definitely help promote this fantastic offer from the club would be to get the ball rolling and finish this season on a high!!! After last weeks dismal game/result the team/club has the opportunity to turn their fortunes around and go all out for maximum points. I know this is probably unlikely, but at least 2 of the remaining games are definitely winnable and the others?? Well, we could probably spoil their parties and take valuable points from them as they will be edgy and nervy in their chase for promotion/playoffs!!!

With our fantastic defence and the pace up front, if I were JF I'd certainly be looking to end the season on a high and get those ticket sales up.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Greggs said:

What we are trying to do here is get new fans.

Sorry but I don't believe season tickets attract new fans. No-one punts £199 on something they might use.

Season tickets are about 1. Regulars 2. Occasionals.

1.'s should buy them anyway.

2.'s are the ones this should attract. These are people who have been before and attend games "of interest" or when family or friends are attending, they might presently average 5-12 games per season and the pricing makes 10 games as break even. This offer is a perfect tempter.

Well done BoD.

Flyers and advertising boards for these people are not necessary and are a waste of money. Messaging through the usual channels will find these people OK.

Who knows there may be some "supporters" on this board who can be tempted to actually attend matches. Stranger things have happened.

4 people like this

11 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Sorry but I don't believe season tickets attract new fans. No-one punts £199 on something they might use.

2.'s are the ones this should attract. These are people who have been before and attend games "of interest" or when family or friends are attending, they might presently average 5-12 games per season and the pricing makes 10 games as break even. This offer is a perfect tempter.

Well done BoD.

Flyers and advertising boards for these people are not necessary and are a waste of money. Messaging through the usual channels will find these people OK.

Who knows there may be some "supporters" on this board who can be tempted to actually attend matches. Stranger things have happened.

Plenty (1)'s don't buy season tickets because they can't usually afford, know they're going to miss a handful of games or don't want to commit in case circumstances change. This offer should tempt plenty regulars who otherwise wouldn't even consider a season ticket.

(2) I agree with.

You forgot (3) - lapsed supporters, a handful of whom have already signalled they're going to buy one (or have already bought one).

This scheme will probably result in being break even at best. Lower prices but more buyers, with a potential to impact on mid-season income both positively (more supporters, more merchandise, more meals perhaps), and negatively (fewer people paying on the day). It's a risk but DB seems confident and I think it's a risk worth taking.

Just now, Hoddie said:

Plenty (1)'s don't buy season tickets because they can't usually afford, know they're going to miss a handful of games or don't want to commit in case circumstances change. This offer should tempt plenty regulars who otherwise wouldn't even consider a season ticket.

(2) I agree with.

You forgot (3) - lapsed supporters, a handful of whom have already signalled they're going to buy one (or have already bought one).

This scheme will probably result in being break even at best. Lower prices but more buyers, with a potential to impact on mid-season income both positively (more supporters, more merchandise, more meals perhaps), and negatively (fewer people paying on the day). It's a risk but DB seems confident and I think it's a risk worth taking.

For once I think we agree, it's a good move that will attract buyers. (But these are unlikely to be "new" supporters which was the point I was making, and consequently marketing for it doesn't need to be expensive etc.).

18 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Well done BoD.

But we charged these prices 2 years ago or have in the past i'm sure. Did we really see the numbers a price that cheap should taking up the offer? 

The normal advertising channels will surely reach the same people they always do. Which isn't what DB is hoping for with this offer. 

19 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Well done BoD.

Totally agree Riders. My cousin always said he didn’t come because of price. Now the ST offer on there is no longer that excuse. But he still won’t buy one. 

Thought this was a good idea 

“It will be promoted through all the channels available, and we’re asking businesses to embrace it as well, and buy a few season-tickets to share between their employees or customers.”

Nick 

1 person likes this

According to the  'The Football League Players Records' Peter Tilley certainly did not play 100 matches for Arsenal. He played 1 match.   

2 hours ago, Greggs said:

Agree, the club don't sell themselves, they do good things in the community but don't link it to matchday attendance. It's obvious on field success goes hand in hand with crowd numbers, we can attract 2,000 plus if we are up there, success breeds success, hell we took regular 500's away as we progressed through the glue leagues. Over to you JF, still to be convinced you are up to it.

43 minutes ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Totally agree Riders. My cousin always said he didn’t come because of price. Now the ST offer on there is no longer that excuse. But he still won’t buy one. 

If you can't sway/bully family into buying one your not the shed salesman I thought you were.

4 people like this

I think the club needs to hold a stall at some of the big football carnivals/galas that are held from may through July. 

Load up with free junior season tickets, scarves, etc 

A prime example would be the Shay Workd Cup with Lee Ashforth it’s held at the shay every year around may/June. Loads and loads of local juniors over a two day period and good thousand or two in attendance.

Freddie the Fox for a few hrs, maybe JF for a hr.

It’s a win/win situation Your at a place that has the sort of people we are targeting. With Young Kids (7,8,9,10yrs old) who will bug their parents and if they are offering free stuff for the kids and payment plans for adults, you may get a good few extra sales..

2 people like this

As loyal and devoted fans I think it's our duty to share this fantastic offer via social media as much as we can. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I think people are massively underestimating the reach of the ‘usual’ channels.

Surprisingly enough, the reach of facebook and twitter are far more effective than a billboard in town.

A far more effective way is to make sure every supporter shares on facebook and retweets the offer on twitter.

The reach if everyone did that would be immense.

That’s one thing everyone can do on here to make a positive impact without spending a penny.

Edited by shaymandownsouff
2 people like this

4 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

As loyal and devoted fans I think it's our duty to share this fantastic offer via social media as much as we can. 

Beat me to it and much more succinctly put! :D

1 person likes this