Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Welcome to Huddersfield - EX premier league town

31 posts in this topic

I'm a little sad for their supporters, I know a couple and they're decent people who just like good, honest football. Let's be honest, clubs like Huddersfield shouldn't be in the Premier League but I think it's great that even in this day and age, such unfashionable clubs (for want of a better term) can still achieve the dream of reaching the top. I don't know their recent backstory and no doubt they risk following Bradford City's post-Premier League trajectory, but it's the achievements of clubs like Huddersfield that deserve the most respect imo.

All that said, they consistently voted against Town's re-election bids over the decades for purely selfish reasons, so feck 'em :)

4 people like this

13 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I'm a little sad for their supporters, I know a couple and they're decent people who just like good, honest football. Let's be honest, clubs like Huddersfield shouldn't be in the Premier League but I think it's great that even in this day and age, such unfashionable clubs (for want of a better term) can still achieve the dream of reaching the top. I don't know their recent backstory and no doubt they risk following Bradford City's post-Premier League trajectory, but it's the achievements of clubs like Huddersfield that deserve the most respect imo.

All that said, they consistently voted against Town's re-election bids over the decades for purely selfish reasons, so feck 'em :)

Exactly & what about all those so called fans that live in Halifax & should be supporting their own club :doh: not just hangers on for when the good times are there.

2 people like this

I know quite a few folk from Brighouse and Elland who support Huddersfield rather than Halifax. Fair play to The Terriers and erstwhile manager Wagner. I'd sooner be in their position than ours! 

1 person likes this

Just now, Che Bentos said:

I know quite a few folk from Brighouse and Elland who support Huddersfield rather than Halifax. Fair play to The Terriers and erstwhile manager Wagner. I'd sooner be in their position than ours! 

Brighouse is a HD code is it not Che? & as for Elland, the Huddersfield Trolley bus terminated there, so I will give them an out. But as for someone living in Halifax :shh:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Macam blue said:

Brighouse is a HD code is it not Che? & as for Elland, the Huddersfield Trolley bus terminated there, so I will give them an out. But as for someone living in Halifax :shh:

If footballing allegiances were based on postcodes, our brethren over in Todmorden would be bothering Boundary Park every other week. Whereas, in actual fact, they are more likely to be at Turf Moor...or actually on the moors bothering the ovine population. 

Edited by Che Bentos
1 person likes this

Can't really celebrate a team having risen so high that they have to come down. They'll still be irritatingly popular in the Championship and will have built up a decent fan base and probably a nest egg including parachute payments to come. 

The reason I resent Huddersfield Town is the same as why I love Halifax Town. Just this deep feeling in my gut. Can't quite place it, but the place has always been the Shelbyville to my Springfield. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

My main gripe is that Winning Moves selected Huddersfield over Halifax! We were invited to state a case for our hometown, which I did under various nom de plumes. As far as I see it, Huddersfield has a better football team and a superior train station...and that's it! The final insult was when I visited The Piece Hall recently and they were actually selling the Huddersfield-themed property based game. Now I know how Jesus felt in the temple! It's not as if I'm even a fan of the board game. At Bentos Towers, the winner is usually the one who doesn't tip the board up first. 

Edited by Che Bentos
2 people like this

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

No they didn’t vote against our reelection bid stop talking shite 

Just now, Jmc said:

No they didn’t vote against our reelection bid stop talking shite 

Yes they did..... 

Just now, Hoddie said:

Yes they did..... 

Proof ? 

Mentioned this to girl who works for the poodles and said no idea where this story originated from , terriers quite happy for a local game and 3/4 points in the bag , and a 20 min away game 

54 minutes ago, olitheshayman said:

Can't really celebrate a team having risen so high that they have to come down. They'll still be irritatingly popular in the Championship and will have built up a decent fan base and probably a nest egg including parachute payments to come. 

The reason I resent Huddersfield Town is the same as why I love Halifax Town. Just this deep feeling in my gut. Can't quite place it, but the place has always been the Shelbyville to my Springfield. 

Here Oli, have you tried this? I only scored 33. :( 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hanifahrahman/worst-quiz-ever

I'm not old enough to remember the re-election days and if true that they voted us out then for that reason I'll hate them. 

On the other hand I don't mind them. What gets my goat is folk from Halifax jumping on board. WE HAVE OWN PROFESSIONAL TEAM FFS. 

The same reason I hope Leeds bollox it up. 

My mate is a Leeds fan but supports halifax rugby!! He preached to me saying town need investment. Yet he goes to Leeds? Does the dirty on his own town? But hates Leeds rugby compared to halifax? I don't get the reasining apart from filling a void in an empty life. 

We maybe poor at times but it's my town and I'm proud of them. Mancunians, scousers and Leeds folk have more respect for us than their hangers on. Trust me. My ex was Scouse and I found out a lot. 

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'm an elland lad exiled to Huddersfield for 3/4 of my life. Many close friends are poodle touchers but still doesn't stop me being happy in their fall back down. Same again next year please.

Edited by noelm1979

50 minutes ago, Jmc said:

Mentioned this to girl who works for the poodles and said no idea where this story originated from , terriers quite happy for a local game and 3/4 points in the bag , and a 20 min away game 

I always found this rumour a strange one. If you think back to reelection days we were obviously in the 4tj division and they were in the second. We were absolutely no threat whatsoever and their main rival and most hated team was and still is Leeds United. Ok, they were repeated a few years later and Bradford City became their main rival for a few a while but Leeds are their main rival 

Most Terriers I've known and ha e spoke to have in the main, had a soft spot for Town.

5 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Most Terriers I've known and ha e spoke to have in the main, had a soft spot for Town.

In the same way we don't mind Brighouse. 

3 people like this

Just now, Che Bentos said:

In the same way we don't mind Brighouse. 

Yes, very much so.

I know there was local rivalry in the 70's but that's more or less gone now. Maybe one or two blokes on their 60's or late 50's might bear a grudge but not many.

They’ve appointed a manager who has only managed at our level previously can see them dropping again next season

on another note we’re almost certain to be a division below bratfud next year , and let’s all hope Yeovil can put a run together , DB will be mortified at an overnighter in Yeovil having missed out playing notts county 

John Crowther was the guy who went round teams cap in hand canvasing for votes to keep us in the league and also went to the meetings where the votes were cast and he said on more than one occasion that Huddersfield never voted for us to stay in.

27 minutes ago, townmad said:

John Crowther was the guy who went round teams cap in hand canvasing for votes to keep us in the league and also went to the meetings where the votes were cast and he said on more than one occasion that Huddersfield never voted for us to stay in.

I was with him on 1 occasion when Hudds vote went against us.

It's a matter of record in at least one of the 50+ books of football history I own. Maybe the Rothmans annuals or the Football League history book. It isn't so much that Huddersfield saw us as rivals, rather that they saw Calderdale and surrounds as fertile areas for increasing their own support/income. Getting rid of the local FL club would clearly increase their chances.

14 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

I was with him on 1 occasion when Hudds vote went against us.

fair enough