Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Online Courier

52 posts in this topic

I keep my PC reasonably up-to-date and yet it always struggles to deal with the online Courier website. I tried to visit again today after a long self-imposed break and the same thing happened. I took a look at the source code and, well, have a look yourself.

If you're using Microsoft Edge on a PC or a laptop, right-click on any blank area of this website and you'll see that each page pulls data and code from about 4 different sources. Most websites use about 10 to 15 sources. Now, with the debug window open, load the Evening Courier website. The list will be so full of sources that it won't even fit on your screen.

What the hell are they playing at? How many people are they sharing my data with?

2 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I keep my PC reasonably up-to-date and yet it always struggles to deal with the online Courier website. I tried to visit again today after a long self-imposed break and the same thing happened. I took a look at the source code and, well, have a look yourself.

If you're using Microsoft Edge on a PC or a laptop, right-click on any blank area of this website and you'll see that each page pulls data and code from about 4 different sources. Most websites use about 10 to 15 sources. Now, with the debug window open, load the Evening Courier website. The list will be so full of sources that it won't even fit on your screen.

What the hell are they playing at? How many people are they sharing my data with?

I can never get on.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Don’t even understand what hoddie is talking about.... this time the fault is mine :(

normally it’s usually his ;););) 

Edited by Nick
3 people like this

I take it as a loving tribute of the Halifax Town website from 2008–2012.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Hoddie said:

It is by far the worst website I look at and easily the most frustrating. You click on one article and a different one opens. You start to read it and the screen goes blank and then an advert appears, and so on and so forth.

I have noticed that if I go on a clothes website before I go on the Courier, an advert with appear for the clothes website on the same page as the Courier one. So that does tie in with what you say.

Edited by Erik Everhard

1 hour ago, Pliny Harris said:

I take it as a loving tribute of the Halifax Town website from 2008–2012.

Don't know if its me. But every time I go on Towns own website it starts playing radio commentary of a game. Most annoying.

1 person likes this

Just now, Macam blue said:

Don't know if its me. But every time I go on Towns own website it starts playing radio commentary of a game. Most annoying.

It's the National League footage when I go on it. Depending on the day though.

The Courier website loads shite from over 60 sources, at least half of which contains JavaScript or other run on load code. This is what's slowing everything down. Time to put it on permanent hiatus.

Bring back Ebb and Flo.

All newspaper site are loaded with spam and, just like their journalists, in the gutter

3 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I have ever noticed that I I go on a clothes website before O go on the Courier, an advert with appear for the clothes website on the same page as the Courier one.

English translation please

at least the courier website is easy to read

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Grayski said:

English translation please

at least the courier website is easy to read

I've altered it for you. 

37 minutes ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Whinge whinge whinge 

Troll troll troll.

3 people like this

43 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Probably the cookies :( nasty little things

I thought were on about johngrantsnumber1 :lol:.

On the subject of cookies, when it asks do you accept these cookies, is it best to click on yes or no?

6 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I thought were on about johngrantsnumber1 :lol:.

On the subject of cookies, when it asks do you accept these cookies, is it best to click on yes or no?

My options are normally accept or **** off :lol: is there a no option ?

20 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

My options are normally accept or **** off :lol: is there a no option ?

Some sites still slow access if you click no. Maybe limited access compared to if you click accept.

The Courier is tolerable on a desktop but a waste of time on a mobile. Wrong pages open upon clicks and pop up hell. 

9 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

Troll troll troll.

Whinge whinge whinge is a fact. When does said poster post anything positive? Answer me that. You as well Pliny? 

12 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

It is by far the worst website I look at and easily the most frustrating. You click on one article and a different one opens. You start to read it and the screen goes blank and then an advert appears, and so on and so forth.

I have noticed that if I go on a clothes website before I go on the Courier, an advert with appear for the clothes website on the same page as the Courier one. So that does tie in with what you say.

'Clothes' mmm!

4 minutes ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Whinge whinge whinge is a fact. When does said poster post anything positive? Answer me that. You as well Pliny? 

You're a little obsessed with me aren't you? I'm in England in April, if I get chance I'll pop down to Elland and buy a shed or two from you.

1 hour ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

:lol: Am I answerable to anyone who's ever said owt bad about owt now?