Shay Pitch

191 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, born to moan said:

And someone who sits near us keeps breaking wind.:o

They must be Fullarshite.

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Whilst a cover sounds impressive, how much of an answer would it be ? Might have just about got the Ebbsfleet game played but wouldn't have prevented the damage on Sunday

Surely if the rain had been kept off the pitch it wouldn’t have been damaged as badly on Sunday

1 person likes this

Just now, andrich said:

Surely if the rain had been kept off the pitch it wouldn’t have been damaged as badly on Sunday

If the swamp donkeys had been kept off it it wouldn`t have been damaged at all on Sunday.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Angus said:

If the swamp donkeys had been kept off it it wouldn`t have been damaged at all on Sunday.

That's the crux of it. The pitch might have stood a chance without the squatters playing on it on Sunday. For Mr florimo and his cronies to say the pitch was wrecked before they played on it takes the biscuit really. Look at the difference there game has made to the pitch  

Do the rugby club have a second team that play on it and/or, do they train on it?

If so this needs to stop. Also, I hope all the relevant people are giving these rain covers that Rochdale use serious consideration. 

3 hours ago, born to moan said:

And someone who sits near us keeps breaking wind.:o

A completed Shay annexe would provide an ideal wind break. It's so unsightly! 

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

A completed Shay annexe would provide an ideal wind break. It's so unsightly! 

A wind break for BTM.

8 hours ago, Big D said:

In July I had David Chadwick and 18 of his family visit the Shay, on aUK tour from the States!

Dave got player of the season in early 70’s!

he couldn’t believe that our surface was REAL grass, it was perfect, they must of asked the same question 6 times!!

He never played on a surface that good in his day, speedway track and all!

How things can change or be changed!!

Good player for us and a really nice chap. Got us a lift on the team coach back from Gillingham back in the day.

What contingency plans do we have in place to complete our last five home games. I don't think I have ever seen the pitch look as bad. Apart from using tons of sand and compacting it, I can't see any other solution. The rugby will have to seek another venue, the work required to rectify the situation will take months to put it right. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:

Do the rugby club have a second team that play on it and/or, do they train on it?

If so this needs to stop. Also, I hope all the relevant people are giving these rain covers that Rochdale use serious consideration. 

I believe the rugby are allowed so many reserve games and so many training sessions on the pitch to make it equal use for both teams. I also believe these are on a Thursday but I may be incorrect.

35 minutes ago, shaycrazy said:

What contingency plans do we have in place to complete our last five home games. I don't think I have ever seen the pitch look as bad. Apart from using tons of sand and compacting it, I can't see any other solution. The rugby will have to seek another venue, the work required to rectify the situation will take months to put it right. 

I can remember it being bad the season we played Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup (was it 88), when the pitch had lots of patches of the pitch covered in sand. That was before the rugby club played on it.

The goal mouth looks like it'll have to be dug up and relayed now. 

1 hour ago, shaycrazy said:

Well that’s not going to happen is it?  The pitch is fine for what they use it for

On 13/03/2019, 21:04:35, Erik Everhard said:

Sorry of already mentioned but it's in the Courier online that the pith will be renovated and the work will start at the end of May. The top level will be removed and it will be reseeded underneath.

I couldn't copy and paste the article but this in't Courier.

Basic work and the minimum required might be a short term fix

5 hours ago, andrich said:

Correct and would not have been as bad prior to our game.

5 hours ago, Angus said:

What's below the surface of the pitch is the underlying issue.

3 hours ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

That's the crux of it. The pitch might have stood a chance without the squatters playing on it on Sunday. For Mr florimo and his cronies to say the pitch was wrecked before they played on it takes the biscuit really. Look at the difference there game has made to the pitch  

He's right the pitch was really struggling after our home game v Barnet and further rain in the days prior to the Ebbsfleet game was the final straw. However had the clay not being blocking the drains i reckon our game would have been played and sure the pitch would have been heavy but not wrecked as it is now. Finally who sorts the rugby fixtures out as there has been two home games after we have played at home already with another double header weekend coming up shortly. To be fair to the rugby when I worked at the Shay they did their best to avoid being at home the same weekend as us but bit sure what gives with this seasons clashes.

Presume the rugby are front loading if the pitch is unavailable in May

15 hours ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

I believe the rugby are allowed so many reserve games and so many training sessions on the pitch to make it equal use for both teams. I also believe these are on a Thursday but I may be incorrect.

All the reserve and friendley games have been away so far this year.

32 minutes ago, eddies mate said:

All the reserve and friendley games have been away so far this year.

But still train on the pitch?

8 minutes ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

Not sure but they didn't last friday as some have reported.

17 minutes ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

as you pointed out earlier they are allowed a number of reserve games / training sessions to equate to the pitch time the football club have.

14 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Presume the rugby are front loading if the pitch is unavailable in May

The pitch is always unavailable in May and don't recall there being so many "double header" weekends in recent seasons. 

Posted (edited)

The rugby club in the past have used the local Rugby Union Clubs - Heath and Rishworthians and possibly Old Crossleyans to train on and use for second team games and guess what? They were kicked off for non-payment of rent and wrecking the pitches. No surprise there then.  

Edited by quizmaster
grammar
1 person likes this

Good news is, it'll soon be spring and the rugby season doesn't start until summer

Posted (edited)

On 14/03/2019, 18:50:05, crowtherjcbravo said:

You whingeing ??

Edited by Jenna

7 hours ago, Jenna said:

You whingeing ??

No I'm having an opinion in a reasoned debate.

The good news is from Monday the forecast for next week is a very dry week with temperatures in the teens so hopefully we should be playing against Solihull.

51 minutes ago, Forever a Shayman said:

The good news is from Monday the forecast for next week is a very dry week with temperatures in the teens so hopefully we should be playing against Solihull.

.... . with the rugby at home the day after.

On 13/03/2019, 21:04:35, Erik Everhard said:

Sorry of already mentioned but it's in the Courier online that the pith will be renovated and the work will start at the end of May. The top level will be removed and it will be reseeded underneath.

I couldn't copy and paste the article but this in't Courier.

Basic work and the minimum required might be a short term fix

On 14/03/2019, 16:10:22, andrich said:

Correct and would not have been as bad prior to our game.

On 14/03/2019, 16:13:00, Angus said:

On 14/03/2019, 18:50:05, crowtherjcbravo said: