Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Colwyn Bay

43 posts in this topic

Still got the t-shirt they produced for our double back to back promotions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, shaymen down under said:

In a blast from the past. It looks like we won’t be meeting colwyn bay in a fixture anytime soon as they have voted to apply to join the Welsh league from next season. 

Had plenty a decent tussle with colwyn bay as a newly reformed club and always enjoyed our games there. 

Vardys last game and goal for the shaymen were against the bay if I remember.

Wasn't last game against Corby?

Edited by Kay Shay-ra Shay-Ra
Game / Goal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kay Shay-ra Shay-Ra said:

Wasn't last game against Corby?

No :) he scored at Blyth, Worcester and against Colwyn as pointed out in the 11/12 season before moving to Fleetwood 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always enjoyed the visits to Colwyn.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good on Colwyn. I can think of another four clubs that might want to follow suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, YD175 said:

2009 game, NA first game was a great day. Deano 

And night.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good day out. Loved the Wetherspoons in the town centre which was an old cinema converted into a pub. Happy days.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fond of our times playing Clown Bay and they tended to provide a good challenge. One of the managers that did so well for them went on to take Chester up with three consecutive promotions, while the other has done what's to be expected with AFC Flyde's big money. In the '90s they were pressurised to join the League of Wales for so long that they were prohibited from playing in the country for a few years, with fans attending "home" matches 60 miles away in Northwich before a stint at Ellesmere Port. It's ironic that now they're forced to due to expenses. They tended to do OK for fans when we played them and involved the youth a lot, but it sounds like their relegations back down put that interest on hold.

The League of Wales must feel like a low ceiling for them now, and I hope they can find ways to take the pain off trips to Rhyl and Putmadog Down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose you'll just have to wait until both teams meet in European competition  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame to see them in decline, but hopefully they'll be top contenders in the Welsh league. 

I concur, great days out to Colwyn they were, and they always put up a good fight, beating us and frustrating us a fair share of times. Best of luck to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/03/2019, 12:24:51, Bubba said:

Always enjoyed the visits to Colwyn.

Totally agree, nice place, nice club far better than many of the Southern shitholes we visit now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Great place to go and watch football, loved that big hill on one side. Say what you want about the glue leagues but I cherish memories like those from Colwyn way more than trips to hobbyist clubs that litter the Conference

Edited by francisfirth
4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/03/2019, 17:16:24, olitheshayman said:

Shame to see them in decline, but hopefully they'll be top contenders in the Welsh league. 

I concur, great days out to Colwyn they were, and they always put up a good fight, beating us and frustrating us a fair share of times. Best of luck to them.

Could have to start in 2nd or 3rd tier according to NLP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, andrich said:

Could have to start in 2nd or 3rd tier according to NLP

Crikey in Wales that'll mean visits to the Llandudno Anglers 2nd X1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vinnyweknuts said:

Crikey in Wales that'll mean visits to the Llandudno Anglers 2nd X1

I love that the Welsh Rugby Union Premier League has a team called 'Cross Keys'. Pub leagues! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed visiting Colwyn Bay but this decision is outrageous.

Why should Colwyn Bay have the opportunity to switch national competitions just because of geography? No other club has this choice. If the going gets tough, man up and do what other clubs have to do, near neighbours Vauxhall  Motors are a great example.

We should either embrace all Welsh teams in the English league system that chose to switch or remove the all.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we should follow suit. Less travel time compared to the grounds of many of our southern based opponents plus the opportunity to play in Europe. Nice holiday destinations too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

Maybe we should follow suit. Less travel time compared to the grounds of many of our southern based opponents plus the opportunity to play in Europe. Nice holiday destinations too. 

Think we should join the Bajan Premiership, Mr B to fund all travel!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Going off on a slight tangent I was thinking about our league and the league below being regionalised.

I feel that the time has come to give this idea a lot of thought and for the league's to look at what's in loved in implementing regionalised non league's.

It would benefit every clubs finances on increased attendances and cut down on travel times and for all the environmentalists out there it would be better for the environment too.

A no brainer in my opinion.

Edited by Erik Everhard
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Evostick regional leagues cover quite a few miles, the idea of progressing up league is the challenges of leagues that are national . If you want to play local you have to move down leagues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

The Evostick regional leagues cover quite a few miles, the idea of progressing up league is the challenges of leagues that are national . If you want to play local you have to move down leagues

I'm talking about changing the national League to a regional one. It would mean current national and north league merging. You can then potentially split the league into two, or take some Midlands based teams into the North League. Blue league's would stay as they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:

I'm talking about changing the national League to a regional one. It would mean current national and north league merging. You can then potentially split the league into two, or take some Midlands based teams into the North League. Blue league's would stay as they are.

er, how can you ignore National League South, where do they fit into this? Since they are the same level as North, they should be involved shouldn't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, awaydays said:

Really enjoyed visiting Colwyn Bay but this decision is outrageous.

Why should Colwyn Bay have the opportunity to switch national competitions just because of geography? No other club has this choice. If the going gets tough, man up and do what other clubs have to do, near neighbours Vauxhall  Motors are a great example.

We should either embrace all Welsh teams in the English league system that chose to switch or remove the all.

 

 

 

When the "national" Welsh league was set up, I seem to recall that Colwyn Bay and Merthyr Tydfil refused to join it, and were then forced to play their home matches in England. The Welsh league obviously wanted them involved at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0