Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where did it all go wrong?

32 posts in this topic

Too much of a coincidence it all started going pear shaped after the Lenighan signing?

Discuss.

Completely agree. Worst mistake the club's ever made.

4 people like this

We were reliant on set pieces early in the season. It worked. 

We still only try to score from set pieces it has now been worked out and now it doesn't work. 

Players not getting played in the right positions to the wrong tactics. I'm not surprised if some of them have had a go at Fullashite. Yet another manager that puts his ego above whats best for the team. 

Obviously had a negative influence. On the field he was simply dreadful ability wise, but clearly had a negative effect in the dressing room too.

3 minutes ago, last_chance_saloon said:

Too much of a coincidence it all started going pear shaped after the Lenighan signing?

Discuss.

Nothing to discuss, your bang right.

1 person likes this

Preseason I had my doubts. His new ‘full time’ players looked weak and not ready for competitive football. The back line looked good, as did King. The season starts and we win 5 in a row. We didn’t play great and most goals were from set pieces. People got giddy but the performances weren’t great. Roll on 6 months and here we are today. The defence and ‘keeper would get you in the top 5 in this division. Sadly those in front of them are powderpuff footballers who simply aren’t good enough.

I’m never one to sack a manager without reason but what I saw today was worse than any other manager has served up. Billy Heath and Neil Aspin did exactly what the said on the tin, they weren’t pretty but you were guaranteed effort and they didn’t pretend to be anything else.

This chancer promised us how great his contacts list was and how good the football would be. It doesn’t matter if you have 1000s of names on your list or you raid your ex club for half the players, if they aren’t good enough then it’s going to cost you.

4 people like this

Appointing a manager who actually stated that this was his last chance having been a flop at Notts County, who then proceeded in damage limitation with us, to scared to lose, but no guts to be cavalier to take an 'entertainment' chance as promised. Glib replies from an empty vessle.

1 person likes this

Indeed. We were laughing in the stand today how clueless the management team are.

To quote Assistant Manager Phil Hughes in his latest interview, 'Aldershot are a very good side' based on what? B

Just sums up how little they know.

JF completely out of his depth, would be best heading back to his soccer school in Spain not that it seems to have any pedigree. His contacts are/were nonexistent and   I could take it if we were trying to play the beautiful game but this is a farce. JF and DB are being disrespectful to a proud if flawed football tradition at Halifax Town over the last 100 years.

1 person likes this

Neither care because they can f... off at anytime without a backward glance. We are the people who have to pick up whatever pieces are left. 

1 person likes this

Away at Salford shaymen had just equalised through Kozzy and then Fullarton takes him off... shaymen then lose and ever since it’s been downhill 

Phil Hughes interview at courier website is pathetic. They are as bad as each other.

1 person likes this

He'll say this or that then betray it with his actions.

He says he's a family man, then he signs a woman beater.

He says he wants to make football exciting again, then he goes worse than Heath in the entertainment stakes.

He says they're doing great things in training, then they half-arse it on a match day and seem to deliberately avoid making efforts on goal.

He says we're that close to clicking by actually scoring a few goals, then we drop points, then he says we're that close to clicking by actually scoring a few goals again, then we drop points again, then he refuses to be interviewed and his assistant says we're that close to clicking by actually scoring a few goals.

I've known people who are good to get along with or have hearts of gold, but don't deliver owt and are nightmares to work with. If you're not scoring game after game then it involves a lot more than waiting for it to click and urging the supporters to do more in the meantime to ensure that. If you're a chef at the best restaurant in town and can never get that soufflé to rise despite all your endless bluster, then eventually you'll go out for a cigarette break and not be allowed back in.

Lenighan was when the results turned but Fullarton's a huckster in many ways, sadly.

2 people like this

You know, maybe we'll win at Maidstone and he'll get a double-page spread in next Saturday's Yorkshire Post where he explains to the sports editor that he's a humble little patio heater in a world of rainbow suspenders. We've had that cycle of events before.

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, last_chance_saloon said:

Discuss.

I think it went wrong after Tomlinson's injury. That was the key moment. We looked a t settled side and although most of our goals came from set pieces we looked solid and a threat on the break 

The problem then was we lost Staunton through injury, if memory serves me right and then we brought Lenigjan. This was another pivotal moment. There were far better midfielders available on loan but DB and JF went for the cheap option of Lenigjan. You not only had all the baggage of his personal life following round, he isn't a very good footballer. So, add the two together and it wasn't going to go well. 

JF signed King and he's a decent player on his day. Well done JF. However, he then decided that he's rather go with a player that was playing in the lower league's, and was a loan player with very questionable off the field antics in his past and a centre half, rather than a player who can hold the ball up, pass and find a man, dribble and who has good control of a football. JF then seemed to realise that this lad may help to keep him a job and that's exactly what he did in the FA Cup. If we'd lost in this competition then JF wouldn't have e made it till Christmas, but we won and gave it a damn good go in the first half against Wimbledon and the two star men were King, surprise surprise and Kosylo. Then King gets injured going in for a ball that wasn't there to be won. Poor judgement on his part meant he received an injury that's kept him out for a few months. Another key factor in where things went wrong.

Added to the poor judgement of not playing King and signing Lenigjan, is JF's inability to change a game and fully utilise his bench to change things round. He went through long periods of not even filling up his bench, sometimes due to injuries. He seems a  rediculously stubborn manager who will hardly ever answer a straight question with a straight answer and is someone who is refusing to admit defeat, or, more importantly, to admit his team selections and formations are not working and to try and rectify his mistakes.

All in I would say he's never got over the Tomlinson injury early doors and a good manager wide have done so, IMO. JF isn't and I feel that this will be his last management position.

Only himself to blame.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, fchtnico1 said:

Away at Salford shaymen had just equalised through Kozzy and then Fullarton takes him off... shaymen then lose and ever since it’s been downhill 

Correct

We were winning but not playing well. Tomlinson was our best player yet pre season i said to be challenging for playoffs we needed better quality players than him and i stand by that, doubt he would get into any team in top 7. Salford away i thought we actually played well yet ended up losing and it went downhill from there. Summer recruitment was really poor,mekhi,odelusi,Preston, all conf north standard.

The signing of lenighan just showed he’s a fraud with no contacts , woman beating aside , if we hadn’t signed lenighan we’d have been in the same position

would say the signing and continued playing of Preston damages us more 

2 people like this

Went wrong last season when the calibre of player he brought in was Connor Thompson and he carried on playing him game after game. This seasons have been on a par or indeed worse in some cases. If that's having contact in the game lord help us. 

10 minutes ago, malifax said:

Went wrong last season when the calibre of player he brought in was Connor Thompson and he carried on playing him game after game. This seasons have been on a par or indeed worse in some cases. If that's having contact in the game lord help us. 

No. He did what he could to keep us up and improve our squad with what he could.  He achieved keeping us up. His error this season was his own recruitment during pre season and he has failed massively on building on what was a good end to a terrible season last season 

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

No. He did what he could to keep us up and improve our squad with what he could.  He achieved keeping us up. His error this season was his own recruitment during pre season and he has failed massively on building on what was a good end to a terrible season last season 

This is the confusing part for me. He did a brilliant job of steering us clear from relegation, from exactly this point onwards last season. We were good to watch, and actually had some attacking cohesion after the dire stuff of Heath’s later days. Pre season people were saying will we hold on to Fullarton. Is it simply recruitment which has been the issue? The few performances I saw early on in the season, we looked a very decent side. Wrexham away against a side fighting for the title we were excellent, should’ve won. The disappearance of Kosylo seems to have hurt us. 

We almost sound equally as terrible as the Kelly days, but at the opposite end of the pitch. 

A Kelly/Fullarton hybrid needed?!

35 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Agree but why didn't he offer Collins and Denton full time contracts, Collins came in and showed what he could do and Denton does a job and if not starting gives you something different from the bench 

Quite simply he's put a poor squad together and has been unable to make a coherent midfield and attack. Our good form at the start of the season was because Tommo had the music in him with his set pieces which meant our defenders and goalie weren't merely salvaging a point. 

Lenighan's signing was as offensive as it was nonsensical. Our performances quickly went downhill from there as we sort of held out for a draw in most games. Then once Tommo got injured we were really screwed, and to be honest even as he fights back from said injury he appears to be playing better and tackling harder than any other player.

I'm really puzzled how the football changed under Fullarton. It went from fluid at the end of last season, to solid at the start of this season, but now all we have is a load of hot air. 

3 hours ago, olitheshayman said:

Quite simply he's put a poor squad together and has been unable to make a coherent midfield and attack. Our good form at the start of the season was because Tommo had the music in him with his set pieces which meant our defenders and goalie weren't merely salvaging a point. 

Lenighan's signing was as offensive as it was nonsensical. Our performances quickly went downhill from there as we sort of held out for a draw in most games. Then once Tommo got injured we were really screwed, and to be honest even as he fights back from said injury he appears to be playing better and tackling harder than any other player.

I'm really puzzled how the football changed under Fullarton. It went from fluid at the end of last season, to solid at the start of this season, but now all we have is a load of hot air. 

Spot on