Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Off the Radar

18 posts in this topic

One thing that I watched out for over the course of the last few days were comments relating to Tuesdays embarrassing loss to Ossett. Strangely there have been very few. And those that were posted took me by surprise. I was expecting more of a lambasting, but it seems that we are now not bothered about the West Riding Cup.

I only raise this as an issue due to yesterdays shortcomings!!!! Frankly, we are supposedly a Professional Football Club. We were taken to pieces by a team who on paper are far inferior to us?? We are a struggling team desperately searching for any kind of goal scoring opportunities, we'd just had a Saturday off!! Why then did we not field a team not only capable of beating Ossett, but beating them convincingly. It was a chance to get our front men onto a pitch where theoretically they could have had some shooting and scoring practice. Remembering where the goal posts are, building their confidence. Most goal scorers will admit that confidence plays a huge part in their game, and the only real cure is scoring!!!!! It doesn't matter who against?? And before my attackers line up to rip this thread to shreds, remember this :- The history books only show results, not teams, and as a Professional Club playing against Ossett, 4 - 1 is nothing short of embarrassing. This is not meant to be a put down against Ossett, they are probably a decent team in their league, but if we cant be bothered against these teams then dont enter the competition. 

4 people like this

7 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

One thing that I watched out for over the course of the last few days were comments relating to Tuesdays embarrassing loss to Ossett. Strangely there have been very few. And those that were posted took me by surprise. I was expecting more of a lambasting, but it seems that we are now not bothered about the West Riding Cup.

I only raise this as an issue due to yesterdays shortcomings!!!! Frankly, we are supposedly a Professional Football Club. We were taken to pieces by a team who on paper are far inferior to us?? We are a struggling team desperately searching for any kind of goal scoring opportunities, we'd just had a Saturday off!! Why then did we not field a team not only capable of beating Ossett, but beating them convincingly. It was a chance to get our front men onto a pitch where theoretically they could have had some shooting and scoring practice. Remembering where the goal posts are, building their confidence. Most goal scorers will admit that confidence plays a huge part in their game, and the only real cure is scoring!!!!! It doesn't matter who against?? And before my attackers line up to rip this thread to shreds, remember this :- The history books only show results, not teams, and as a Professional Club playing against Ossett, 4 - 1 is nothing short of embarrassing. This is not meant to be a put down against Ossett, they are probably a decent team in their league, but if we cant be bothered against these teams then dont enter the competition. 

We have to enter the Competition unless we pay a huge amount of money like Leeds, Huddersfield and Bradford City do. They can afford it, we cannot

Edited by Shaytrev

7 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

Fair enough Archie, but the book The Complete History of the West Riding Cup will struggle to make the Booker prize. Don’t lose any sleep over it.

Shaytrev

• Long in the tooth
  •  
  • photo-thumb-1282.jpg
  • Members
  • 6,598 posts
12 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

We have to enter the Competition unless we pay a huge amount of money like Leeds, Huddersfield and Bradford City do. They can afford it, we cannot

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Based on that Shaytrev the least we should do is go and bloody win it???

Edited 4 minutes ago by Shaytrev

And just imagine what this forum would be like if we had won at Ossett with the first team and then they lost at Chesterfield.

Or even we lost a player through injury. No sorry.

Riders of Rohan

•  
  • photo-thumb-798.jpg
  • Members
  • 2,019 posts
15 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

Fair enough Archie, but the book The Complete History of the West Riding Cup will struggle to make the Booker prize. Don’t lose any sleep over it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Certainly wont RoR, but I'm really trying to make a bigger point!!!! 

1 person likes this

Riders of Rohan

•  
  • photo-thumb-798.jpg
  • Members
  • 2,020 posts

And just imagine what this forum would be like if we had won at Ossett with the first team and then they lost at Chesterfield.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

We are a Professional Football Club, every game is massively important. We dont have the luxury of picking and chosing. It was a game that we could and should have won. Perhaps if one or two more of the 1st teamers had turned out at Ossett then they might have faired better at Chesterfield.

I think the key to our defeat at Ossett is that they are playing to a system that suits their players and, added to that they have a good team spirit, which will probably have been built by the players and manager. 

Modern technology is needed in today's game. If you don't build a good a team spirit and togetherness and play to a system that suits your squad and works on practice then you can have all the technology you want but you won't get anywhere.

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

League clubs can opt to pay a nominal fee not to be entered into it but I'm fairly sure its mandatory for non league sides.

54 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

As opposed to?!!

I said about shooting practice against Ossett yesterday on our depressing journey to Cleethorpes. 

I was  slightly lifted by seeing part of Grimsby management today who thought we would be OK? 

8 minutes ago, Paul H Cleethorpes said:

I was  slightly lifted by seeing part of Grimsby management today who thought we would be OK? 

Not sure what that means to be honest, is it cryptic?

anyway with our first choice strikers on show against Ossett I think we would have struggled to score

stood in the stands yesterday freezing my nuts off and embarrassed with the football on offer, Chesterfield looked pretty hopeless and we actually looked worse!!!

1 hour ago, chadders said:

League clubs can opt to pay a nominal fee not to be entered into it but I'm fairly sure its mandatory for non league sides.

Actually, looking at the WRFA rules, it appears that we pay to enter the County Cup, not the opposite

1 person likes this

It's a sad state of affairs if we now care about the West Riding Cup. Have things got that bad?

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, greg45 said:

It's a sad state of affairs if we now care about the West Riding Cup. Have things got that bad?

No greg but we have not got the winning mentality so need to start it somewhere and that should have been the easiest place.

greg45

•  
  • 84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default
  • Members
  • 4,534 posts

______________________________________________________________________________________

But that's exactly the point Greg45!!! What do you actually mean by "if we now care about the West Riding Cup"?? That's exactly where we are, we are a struggling 5th tier Professional Football Club who cant be bothered to send out a decent enough team to beat (no disrespect intended) Ossett. Every single game a team plays should be played with the intent of winning. I you dont then it is completely disrespectful. Not only to your opponents but to your fans and the history of the club. Im old enough to remember the days when (whether we like it or not) Leeds Unt were probably the best team in Europe, but they turned out their full starting 11 for every game. They played at the Shay on a Tuesday, Wembley on a Saturday and a European game the following Tuesday (ish)!!! If the WRC holds no sway with Town any more then dont enter.

greg45

•  
  • 84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default
  • Members
  • 4,534 posts

It's a sad state of affairs if we now care about the West Riding Cup. Have

I agree with you Archie, when we play  Aldershot next Saturday we will have played one game in three weeks and lost it. For a team out of form at scoring goals, Ossett was an ideal opportunity to get some much needed match practice and Fullarton blew it.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, andrich said:

Actually, looking at the WRFA rules, it appears that we pay to enter the County Cup, not the opposite

Still mandatory for non league teams though I believe.