Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Management Style

17 posts in this topic

I'm probably wrong but here goes

I think Fullerton is too much a theorist. It's almost  like he's playing Football Manager and tweaking every little factor about every player and then trying to combine the results and produce a winning team. This GPS stuff sums is up really, if you don't run far enough in training then you don't get picked - regardless of how good you might actually be.. When he first arrived and we got good results he'd not had time to muck about with the squad so they played to the "best" of their own abilities. Now he's trying to manage his perceived abilities which don't match up to what the players can actually do. In short he's over-complicated things. Look at Man U now (sorry!!) - manager lets them play on the deck to a basic shape - after that it's up to the team on the pitch to play to their strengths. Not a complicated game unless you make it so

2 people like this

Just now, Derbyshayman said:

I think Fullerton is too much a theorist. It's almost  like he's playing Football Manager and tweaking every little factor about every player and then trying to combine the results and produce a winning team. This GPS stuff sums is up really, if you don't run far enough in training then you don't get picked - regardless of how good you might actually be.. When he first arrived and we got good results he'd not had time to muck about with the squad so they played to the "best" of their own abilities. Now he's trying to manage his perceived abilities which don't match up to what the players can actually do. In short he's over-complicated things. Look at Man U now (sorry!!) - manager lets them play on the deck to a basic shape - after that it's up to the team on the pitch to play to their strengths. Not a complicated game unless you make it so

Coaching in Britain is a proven failure. Just look at the most successful Coaches around today, None of the four home countries, 1966 apart, have ever won a bean

2 minutes ago, Derbyshayman said:

And of course Man Utd don’t use gps! 

Fact is professional football uses gps, has done for a while, even 19 other teams in this part time league.

when did anyone say if you don’t run around in training you don’t get picked? Let’s think a different way, supposing you are in a job and not trying, not carrying out intructions simply because you are too lazy. Do you deserve promotion?

We lost to a soft penalty decision, otherwise neither team would have scored. 

Is it too complicated. I’m sure I saw Fullarton jesture to King to come deeper away from his marker and try to get on the ball. King never got the ball yesterday and was fouled twice with the ball nowhere near him, after the first time he went to the referee but clearly he didn’t want to know. Is it complicated? Trying to get your best player on the ball, I hope not as we need to have worked out what to do as no doubt every team will do a Chesterfield on him from now on.

Youre right you are wrong.

13 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

And of course Man Utd don’t use gps! 

Fact is professional football uses gps, has done for a while, even 19 other teams in this part time league.

when did anyone say if you don’t run around in training you don’t get picked? Let’s think a different way, supposing you are in a job and not trying, not carrying out intructions simply because you are too lazy. Do you deserve promotion?

We lost to a soft penalty decision, otherwise neither team would have scored. 

Is it too complicated. I’m sure I saw Fullarton jesture to King to come deeper away from his marker and try to get on the ball. King never got the ball yesterday and was fouled twice with the ball nowhere near him, after the first time he went to the referee but clearly he didn’t want to know. Is it complicated? Trying to get your best player on the ball, I hope not as we need to have worked out what to do as no doubt every team will do a Chesterfield on him from now on.

Youre right you are wrong.

You can have all the technology in the world.If you have no one on the pitch who can hit the net.You are bound to struggle to win football matches.

24 minutes ago, ashy1966 said:

You can have all the technology in the world.If you have no one on the pitch who can hit the net.You are bound to struggle to win football matches.

Technology won’t score a goal, unless the ball hits someone on their back and bounces off the transmitter! No it won’t. 

Have you ever watched Sky sports? Where do you suppose all those player stats come from? Teams of Gnomes with pencil and notepad each watching a player and recording every metre he moves?

You know what my guess is some sort of technology.

i just don’t get this Luddite attitude amongst our supporters. 

32 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Technology won’t score a goal, unless the ball hits someone on their back and bounces off the transmitter! No it won’t. 

Have you ever watched Sky sports? Where do you suppose all those player stats come from? Teams of Gnomes with pencil and notepad each watching a player and recording every metre he moves?

Statts do not win games. 2/26 is a stat.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Benjamin Disreali.

46 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

If the team are playing well and actually putting the ball in the net from time to time then you probably wouldn't have e these comments. The team aren't and this is just another issue to use against the manager. I think most fans know it's needed in this day and age. The problem is that this and the new gym and the new office, which are positive steps in the right direction are the only signs of improvement this season. Oh,we haven't conceded a lot of goals. I suppose that's an improvement. Relegation would obviously be a bit of negative but maybe we can buy some new track suits to off set that negative. Maybe yoga sessions or pilates? Monkey tennis?

2 hours ago, Derbyshayman said:

Our style is supposed to be a strong pressing game closing down space and the opposition when they have the ball and high energy passing when in possession.

To do that successfully you need to be fit.

The players need to do it together because if everyone doesnt press it opens up where we dont.

However we've lost, its all the managers fault and we are getting relegated. 

3 minutes ago, shaymenRup said:

Our style is supposed to be a strong pressing game closing down space and the opposition when they have the ball and high energy passing when in possession.

The players need to do it together because if everyone doesnt press it opens up where we dont.

How many games does he enforce this tactic before accepting he apparently doesn't have the players for it? Another 10 or so?

Just now, shaymenRup said:

Despite Duckworth playing well our player of the season is sat on the bench.

I obviously don't want us to go down. If we do, and it's before the end of the season, I would like to see the new manager adopt a different style. I would like to see us play with 3 centre halves which would probably be Brown Staunton and Duckworth. I would then put Hanson on the right of a five man midfield and sellers on the left. Berrett and Ferry would be left and right inside midfielders with King in the middle who would then break forward too. Two forwards would probably be Kosylo and Southwell.

His formation isn't working. If he goes 4 4 2 I do fear our starting centre halves might not be quick enough and will be exposed without cover and I feel it's time to try new formations and start one or two other players.

Other teams will have noticed how easy it was to stop King playing . Quigley was running too many blind allies and Berrett was sitting far too deep . It just isn't happening for Kosylo at the moment and Preston was forced right outside his comfort zone . It's no good having a management style if it doesn't suit your players or the league you are in . Fullarton thinks we are a team of League One players when we are really a team of National North players

1 person likes this

Chesterfield played 3 5 2 and completely over ran our non existent deep lying midfield. According to BBC Radio Sheffield,they made 5 changes from last week when they lost to Brackley. Does our joker make any changes when things are clearly not working? Does he chuff. Our most consistent player this season didn't even make the bench. 2 wins in 24/25 says it all. 

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Other teams will have noticed how easy it was to stop King playing.

What does worry me is that neither the players nor the management team seemed to be able to react to the Chesterfield tactics and find a way to get King on the ball. The obvious thing was for King to come deeper and Berrett to push up, get King on the ball and keep possession.

Perhaps King was just having a bad day and nowt to do with tactics. We did improve when King came off.

If only Squiggers had scored with that header at the end.

2 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

Statts do not win games. 2/26 is a stat.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Benjamin Disreali.

Any relation to Disraeli?

3 minutes ago, Lammie said:

Any relation to Disraeli?

Doubt it, never checked.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Riders of Rohan said:

What does worry me is that neither the players nor the management team seemed to be able to react to the Chesterfield tactics and find a way to get King on the ball. The obvious thing was for King to come deeper and Berrett to push up, get King on the ball and keep possession.

Perhaps King was just having a bad day and nowt to do with tactics. We did improve when King came off.

If only Squiggers had scored with that header at the end.

The Chesterfiield 3 in midfield nullified our midfield my the sounds of things.