Mick Kennedy

64 posts in this topic

I feel ashamed,wish Fullarton would start taking some.

For any Town fans who may be in Ireland and wanting to pay their respects, Mick's funeral is this Thursday, 14 February, at 11.00 am at Connolly Church, Kilmaley Parish. This is situated around 20 miles from Shannon Airport.

1 person likes this

Sometimes I wonder why I support our club with not even a mention of the sad loss of Mick Kennedy. Its thanks to people like Shaymus  who keeps us informed of all our former players and the wonderful memories they gave us so a big thank you because with your support it will always be regardless of anybody at the club SHAYMEN TILL I DIE.

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, dj funky said:

Sometimes I wonder why I support our club with not even a mention of the sad loss of Mick Kennedy. Its thanks to people like Shaymus  who keeps us informed of all our former players and the wonderful memories they gave us so a big thank you because with your support it will always be regardless of anybody at the club SHAYMEN TILL I DIE.

Mick Kennedy played for Bosomworths beloved Bradford City too, he most probably saw him play more than some here did.

Edited by Shaytrev

Is the Gentleman on the right, Mr Vinyl, Sowerby Bridge record shop man

On 10/02/2019, 19:14:52, Mick Kennedy said:

Sad news indeed. The best player we had by miles in the two seasons that got me hooked on following Town in 78/79 and 79/80. Remember him scoring in the 2-1 league win over Walsall and was easily man of the match in the fantastic 2-1 Boxing Day win over the Poodles. Was chuffed to see him go on to play for Ireland. How we could do with a midfielder with half his ability now!

His was the first name I thought of when I joined this message board years ago.

God be with you Mick. One of the all time Town greats!

I also remember that game well, one of many great performances by (in my opinion) the best midfielder I've seen at the Shay in 48 years of watching Town. Also remember him outplaying Steve Daley the 1.5 million pound footballer when we knocked city out of the cup and it typified his appetite in every game even one played on a pitch resembling a quagmire! RIP Mick - a true legend

11 hours ago, pen21 said:

Is the Gentleman on the right, Mr Vinyl, Sowerby Bridge record shop man

Yes I think you are right there. Is Tim Gregory his name? I know his first name is Tim.

RIP Mick it’s a long time ago but the memories are still good what a great few weeks we had especially in 1979/80 season Walsall ,Huddersfield,Man City and Bolton great times.

2 people like this

Update from the fund-raising page ‘Shaymus’ posted earlier: ‘We're now less than £900 away from our target in less than 24 hours. Brilliant support from fans of all of Mick’s former clubs. Thank you to each and every selfless person who has shared and donated.’

Edited by themanwhowasntthere
1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Scouse Shayman said:

Club hasn't been going long enough for a Hall of Fame. Everything before 2008 is a figmant of our imaginations or the effects of your "happy pills"

I presume this post is on irony alert as I am sure I recollect watching Halifax Town play at The Shay before this date! I can’t recall seeing the holy trinity at those games though apart from when we played away at Valley Parade!

3 hours ago, vinnyweknuts said:

I presume this post is on irony alert as I am sure I recollect watching Halifax Town play at The Shay before this date! I can’t recall seeing the holy trinity at those games though apart from when we played away at Valley Parade!

Irony ? I don't know the meaning of the word. I certainly know that I only dreamed of travelling from all over the place when I was in the Army. It never really happened because no team existed before 2008 !! I never listened to a team beating Man City on an old army A40 radio whilst patroling the Falls Road in Belfast, it could not have been real.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Scouse Shayman said:

Irony ? I don't know the meaning of the word. I certainly know that I only dreamed of travelling from all over the place when I was in the Army. It never really happened because no team existed before 2008 !! I never listened to a team beating Man City on an old army A40 radio whilst patroling the Falls Road in Belfast, it could not have been real.

For some posters you are obviously a part time fan, having a wander on the Boulevards of Belfast rather than walking the cinder of the Hunger Hill 

1 person likes this

Update from fundraiser: 'We have smashed our original target and We've even smashed the £4000! As you know funerals are expensive and it would be good to be able to make as much as we can. We've decided to keep the target at £4000 for now as we will know more once we know how much is needed. Please feel free to keep donating as every penny will be given to Mick's family. Thank you all again, I can't believe the support from fans of all of Mick's previous clubs. Amazing.'

4 people like this