Mick Kennedy

64 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, vinnyweknuts said:

I would back an 8 man team of MKs against our current team!

Wouldn´t need 8.

Very sad news one of the old greats. RIP Mick Kennedy.

Really sad news. A real workhorse who could also play a bit. RIP  Mick

RIP Mick Kennedy. Right up there with  Paul Hendrie, Steve Bushell, Kieran O'Regan, Kevin Hulme, Jon Brown and Tom Baker, some of my all time favourite Town midfielders. Thank you for the memories.

2 people like this

Sad news indeed. The best player we had by miles in the two seasons that got me hooked on following Town in 78/79 and 79/80. Remember him scoring in the 2-1 league win over Walsall and was easily man of the match in the fantastic 2-1 Boxing Day win over the Poodles. Was chuffed to see him go on to play for Ireland. How we could do with a midfielder with half his ability now!

His was the first name I thought of when I joined this message board years ago.

God be with you Mick. One of the all time Town greats!

3 people like this

Mick Kennedy at the reunion of Halifax Town players, organised by Tony Thwaites, South Ward WMC, 9 May 1989.

2019-02-10.png

4 people like this

57 minutes ago, Mick Kennedy said:

Sad news indeed. The best player we had by miles in the two seasons that got me hooked on following Town in 78/79 and 79/80. Remember him scoring in the 2-1 league win over Walsall...

That was my first ever match at The Shay, and Kennedy scored from outside the box in the 2nd minute. Francis Firth got the second. It’s a sobering thought that they have both died in such relatively quick succession. Fond memories of them both and of that era.

Edited by themanwhowasntthere
1 person likes this

Anyone remember the last minute equiliser he scored against Darlington or Hartlepool? It was an absolute cracker from outside the box at the bus shed end. Think the score was 2 2 or 3 3. can anybody help me?

So sad. How we could do with someone like him at the moment. A class act.

Let’s have none of this applause nonesense on Saturday but a proper and respectful minutes silence to honour his memory. 

3 people like this

32 minutes ago, quizmaster said:

Anyone remember the last minute equiliser he scored against Darlington or Hartlepool? It was an absolute cracker from outside the box at the bus shed end. Think the score was 2 2 or 3 3. can anybody help me?

Mick Kennedy only scored two goals at the bus garage end - the opener in a 2-1 victory over Walsall on 20 October 1979, and a spectacular effort for the only goal of the game v Aldershot, 29 March 1980. 

1 person likes this

Portsmouth pay tribute - worth the 6 minutes of your time this video runs! 

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Shaymus said:

Mick Kennedy only scored two goals at the bus garage end - the opener in a 2-1 victory over Walsall on 20 October 1979, and a spectacular effort for the only goal of the game v Aldershot, 29 March 1980. 

Must have been that game then. Remember the goal well but obviously the mists of time have played tricks on my memory about which game it was. Was he the lad who was given free meals when he was an apprentice by the owner of the Shay cafe as some kind of sponsorship deal ?

1 minute ago, quizmaster said:

Must have been that game then. Remember the goal well but obviously the mists of time have played tricks on my memory about which game it was. Was he the lad who was given free meals when he was an apprentice by the owner of the Shay cafe as some kind of sponsorship deal ?

I am not sure they were free but I remember the article in the Courier. Apparently the manager told him he was too lightweight!

Thanks for that SS nice when a club as a Hall Of Fame, still not that kind of club are we

2 people like this

Sad day Think it is imperative we sort out a hall of fame for Halifax Town before it is too late. Looking at the players in Andy Stafford,s photograph makes you realise how far our playing standards have fallen

13 hours ago, Shaymus said:

Mick Kennedy at the reunion of Halifax Town players, organised by Tony Thwaites, South Ward WMC, 9 May 1989.

2019-02-10.png

Strangely enough last week I started editing the video I did that this photo is taken from.

Anyone know the name of the gentleman on the right? Need to put him in the credits.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, dj funky said:

Thanks for that SS nice when a club as a Hall Of Fame, still not that kind of club are we

His death won't even get mentioned on the club's website. Shameful. All the other clubs he played for have posted warmfelt tributes, but nothing coming out of The Shay corridors.

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, Larriden100 said:

Strangely enough last week I started editing the video I did that this photo is taken from.

Anyone know the name of the gentleman on the right? Need to put him in the credits.

I'm sure his second name was Conway.

27 minutes ago, Bill Atkins said:

Sad day Think it is imperative we sort out a hall of fame for Halifax Town before it is too late. Looking at the players in Andy Stafford,s photograph makes you realise how far our playing standards have fallen

It's all down to the present chairman, who won't associate himself with anything to do with the old club, without which, I might add, there wouldn't be his present incarnation.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

I'm sure his second name was Conway.

Is it Geoff Lynne?

4 people like this

3 hours ago, Larriden100 said:

I think that's Tim Gregory.

The "Conway" that Shaymus is thinking of is probably Tim Conway that used to run the Brown Cow.

Sadly both gentlemen passed away in the last few years.

3 hours ago, Bubba said:

Is it Geoff Lynne?

My thoughts entirely!

19 hours ago, dj funky said:

Club hasn't been going long enough for a Hall of Fame. Everything before 2008 is a figmant of our imaginations or the effects of your "happy pills"

1 person likes this