Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aspin getting the sack?

135 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

I refer you to this post from the thread Barrow that you liked. Somebody celebrating me reacting to a post trying to wind me up by deliberately being confrontational. You sir are a hypocrite. Carry on liking 

Out. Dummy. Spat.

Quad Erat Demonstrandum

1 person likes this

Just now, BartC said:

Quad Erat Demonstrandum

That’s right. You like posts that are anti me because I’m confrontational yet like posts celebrating me reacting to posts that are confrontational against me. You and your bum chums are well suited. Carry on liking 

8 minutes ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

That’s right. You like posts that are anti me because I’m confrontational yet like posts celebrating me reacting to posts that are confrontational against me. You and your bum chums are well suited. Carry on liking 

"Carry On Liking" ah my favourite of the lot and I watch it every Christmas, Sid James and Hattie Jacques give a wonderful performance. 

4 people like this

24 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

"Carry On Liking" ah my favourite of the lot and I watch it every Christmas, Sid James and Hattie Jacques give a wonderful performance. 

I missed that one, along with Carry On Licking, Carry On Contradicting and Carry On Managing

2 people like this

10 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I think it's more to do with the league titles and the play off win and the future England star he signed and the Championship standard players he signed and the National League se mi final he reached, all as a part time club.

However, you say that Fullarton will deliver and keep us up, despite the worst run over 20 odd games of any of our managers. I hope he does turn out to be a decent manager with us but he doesn't have that weight of previous success like NA had.

Most of that success was against the likes of Ramsbottom United in the glue leagues (pub leagues) Got higher and lost the plot.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Trev. You change your mind more than you change your underpants. You seem to value strikers that can’t hit the net but hey ho 

Which strikers are you referring to?

11 hours ago, olitheshayman said:

Absolute and utter rubbish. As great as Trevor Stanuton was and as tragic as his death was, we continued to ahcieve as much if not more without him. Aspin signed some incredible players for us, two of whom are currently playing tonight in the Premier League. Set up a team that was so, so boss and came so close to getting us to a Wembley play off final. Watch the 'goal of the season so far' video from 13/14 and name a goal that we have scored in the last 3 seasons that comes close to that standard of individual and all round team play.
After Staunton's passing Aspin oversaw Gregory's development into a Championship quality player and then the signings and development of Marc Roberts, Matty Pearson and James Bolton. And despite his inability to keep the team up to the high standards that we'd become accustomed to after his budget was reduced he still picked up some real talents who then went to show with the FA Trophy win and the relegation that they had only let themselves down.

Since Aspin left the conditions have not changed. We have hit our ceiling in terms of what our budget will afford- something that precariously hovers around the lower half of the conference. Without the momentum that got young, talented players on board and allowed them to play winning but progressively more difficult football we cannot tempt exciting young players to play for us, and neither are we willing to risk playing players who aren't quite physically ready to play conference football.
There is a slim, slim chance that one season in 10 we will have a squad that really gets on well and does their job professionally, and that will be enough to see us challenge for the play-offs again, but otherwise this is our standard. Aspin would be as good as anyone else at separating the wheat from the chaff in our transfer market and disiciplining them to this level's standard.  

Thanks for clarifying. 

30 minutes ago, Spud said:

Thanks for clarifying. 

No worries. It just gets my back up because it was continually used as a stick to beat Aspin and Nogan with despite it being doemnstrably false, which I find a bit sickening.

In a separate point, Aspin would not come back to the club with our board of directors. He knows our baord's way of budgeting and he knows that 3 promotions, 2 play-off finishes and a top ten finish in the conference counted for nothing as soon as things did start to go wrong. Of cours ehe was culpable for this but knowing his eye for talent and his work ethic it would have been just as reasonable to let him work his way out of that mess. That's all in hindsight, though it is interesting that we haven't found anyone better 4 and a half years on.  

1 person likes this

Fans say his transfers in the final summer were rubbish but, Whitehouse,Tuton,Maguire,Macdonald, not exactly rubbish any of them.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Fans say his transfers in the final summer were rubbish but, Whitehouse,Tuton,Maguire,Macdonald, not exactly rubbish any of them.

He also brought in Matty Brown that season, even Kingsley James & Hamza came here as good signings on paper that didnt work out but according to some on here if you go on a bad run you've lost the plot.

You also have to look at how many players NA lost due to their success here, Gregory, Roberts, Pearson & Maynard all left and were never realistically going to be successfully replaced. To put that into perspective we cant even replace the like of Denton and Josh Wilde these days so what chance has the club got of replacing really good players?

Edited by greygoose
3 people like this

3 minutes ago, greygoose said:

He also brought in Matty Brown that season, even Kingsley James & Hamza came here as good signings on paper that didnt work out but according to some on here if you go on a bad run you've lost the plot.

You also have to look at how many players NA lost due to their success here, Gregory, Roberts, Pearson & Maynard all left and were never realistically going to be successfully replaced. To put that into perspective we cant even replace the like of Denton and Josh Wilde these days so what chance has the club got of replacing really good players?

Pearson & Maynard both threw the towel in during Aspins penultimate season. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, olitheshayman said:

No worries. It just gets my back up because it was continually used as a stick to beat Aspin and Nogan with despite it being doemnstrably false, which I find a bit sickening.

In a separate point, Aspin would not come back to the club with our board of directors. He knows our baord's way of budgeting and he knows that 3 promotions, 2 play-off finishes and a top ten finish in the conference counted for nothing as soon as things did start to go wrong. Of cours ehe was culpable for this but knowing his eye for talent and his work ethic it would have been just as reasonable to let him work his way out of that mess. That's all in hindsight, though it is interesting that we haven't found anyone better 4 and a half years on.  

I agree. And i wasn't using it as an excuse or a stick. It was a genuine question as i was unsure of the timeline. For what it's worth I have very fond memories of NA and believe given time he would have turned it around but as you say it's all hindsight 

1 person likes this

Just now, Spud said:

I agree. And i wasn't using it as an excuse or a stick. It was a genuine question as i was unsure of the timeline. For what it's worth I have very fond memories of NA and believe given time he would have turned it around but as you say it's all hindsight 

I think the vast majority of managers given time will sort it out, but only a certain number of clubs can gain success in any one season. 

Because of Aspins successful signings for our club. I would offer him a scouting role if he is interested. You never know he might unearth another gem or two, as well as watching the opposition for Fullarton. I'm not sure whether the two could work together though. 

1 person likes this

We could have been in the Football League under Aspin if he hadn't raised the white flag before the play off 2nd leg at Cambridge.It was a gutless display for such a high profile game.

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, shaycrazy said:

Because of Aspins successful signings for our club. I would offer him a scouting role if he is interested. You never know he might unearth another gem or two, as well as watching the opposition for Fullarton. I'm not sure whether the two could work together though. 

I’d rather have ShayTrev in charge than them two running it. 

Somewhat missing the fact that the level we were playing at when Storton was with us was never going to attract the likes of Pearson, and Storton had to work miracles to bring players like Vardy and Hogan to the club in the face of stiff opposition

1 hour ago, shaycrazy said:

Did he unearth those gems at Port Vale? Not sure it was NA that went out to find these players 

3 hours ago, ashy1966 said:

We could have been in the Football League under Aspin if he hadn't raised the white flag before the play off 2nd leg at Cambridge.It was a gutless display for such a high profile game.

If DB had loosened the purse strings and let NA bring in a decent centre half to replace Danny Lowe we probably would have been.

We couldn't cope with their lad up front. I think the occasion got to the players too and Cambridge were up for it. The team had still come a long way from the opening game of the season though and went out 2-1 on aggregate against the team that would eventually go on and win the play off final.

We did well that season.

1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:

If DB had loosened the purse strings and let NA bring in a decent centre half to replace Danny Lowe we probably would have been.

We couldn't cope with their lad up front. I think the occasion got to the players too and Cambridge were up for it. The team had still come a long way from the opening game of the season though and went out 2-1 on aggregate against the team that would eventually go on and win the play off final.

We did well that season.

Ainge  should have played instead of Chris Smith.He should have gone like for like.

Edited by ashy1966

15 minutes ago, ashy1966 said:

Singer should have played instead of Chris Smith.He should have gone like for like.

Who is Singer?

Just now, Erik Everhard said:

Who is Singer?

He means Ainge:lol:

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, greygoose said:

Really? Maynard scored 12 goals from midfield that season (probably more than he's got in the 4 seasons since) and Pearson wouldn't throw in the towel at tiddlywinks.

Did you go to Barnet after we got hammered and saw Pearson laughing leaving the pitch and didn't Maynard have as "season ending injury"? A similar one to Scot Boden 

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

He means Ainge:lol:

Ainge should have played to be honest. Lowe was our weak link though.