Best Game you ever saw !!

121 posts in this topic

Pickering and Rhodes 

what a great Centre back pairing 

I am as there behind that goal 

always believed we would get past gravesend 

3 hours ago, Bill Atkins said:

SHAYMUS

I had the fortune to be at the game when we beat Swindon 4. 3.   And was stood directly in line with Brian Redfern,s winner

Cannot remember the year but we won 4. -  0   Against Doncaster  away  We travelled there in fog avoiding the motorway and arrived 20 minutes late. We got in the ground and found that Town were already winning  4  -  0

Sounds like the game on 21 October 1988 - Town 4-0 up after 14 minutes. Won 4-1.

Some of you showing your age now. I realise Town have had a history more full of downs than ups, but those occasional ups must remain so memorable thanks to how little they came along. I'd love to see Town back in the Football League just to see those times back. I'd much rather the club struggled in League Two than see us bobbling along at the top of Conference North.

A memorable win over Huddersfield Town or a solid victory over Spennymoor United. No contest. 

12 hours ago, AndyStafford said:

5be497156dd4c_JonathanGouldsubbedwithfac

Physio Robert Swire, who went on to become head physio at Manchester United.

Not the best I have seen us play but one of the most entertaining was Bishop Auckland away in the FA Cup. A snow covered pitch and us playing for a replay. During the second half we did little other than kick the ball as far into the cricket pitch (that bordered most of one side)  as they could. The snow must have been about a foot deep and their players had to wade through it. There was very little time added on in those days if any at all, if there had been there would have been about half of that half to add on.

Nearest anybody came to scoring that day was when our fullback Norman Bodell hit fis own post with a back pass. Lines marked out in blue and orange. Friends at school aked me to get them programmes ended up buying 16 total cost 20p for the lot

49 minutes ago, townmad said:

Not the best I have seen us play but one of the most entertaining was Bishop Auckland away in the FA Cup. A snow covered pitch and us playing for a replay. During the second half we did little other than kick the ball as far into the cricket pitch (that bordered most of one side)  as they could. The snow must have been about a foot deep and their players had to wade through it. There was very little time added on in those days if any at all, if there had been there would have been about half of that half to add on.

Bloody cold but the replay warmed you up.

Town 2 Fulham 1. The season before we’d lost 8-0 under floodlights. The winner came from a very unlikely source (Wallace) but was a really well worked goal. Happy days. 

14 minutes ago, Richmond96 said:

Town 2 Fulham 1. The season before we’d lost 8-0 under floodlights. The winner came from a very unlikely source (Wallace) but was a really well worked goal. Happy days. 

That was the game that Barry Holmes scored with a header, great picture of it in the courier.

5 hours ago, townmad said:

That was the game that Barry Holmes scored with a header, great picture of it in the courier.

Barry Holmes' headed goal was, in fact, the winner.

1970-71 Town v Fulham Holmes winner.jpg

Edited by Shaymus
4 people like this

5 hours ago, Richmond96 said:

A good servant to the club !!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Richmond96 said:

What a great season that was. Playing and beating the likes of Aston Villa at home.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Shaymus said:

Sounds like the game on 21 October 1988 - Town 4-0 up after 14 minutes. Won 4-1.

It was-and there were a few,probably on here who came in at 4-0 up.....:lol:

4 days later we beat Peterborough 5-0 at Shay after it being 0-0 at half time-they were obviously watching for our fast start...:lol:

As Hoddie says odd little halcyon days in our long history....

5 hours ago, townmad said:

The 8-0 result I read in the Express stock press on the back page as I was in Germany and thought it was just a misprint.:(

No it was eight and we had more shots on goal than them.  Johnny  Haynes ran the from start to finish. Now he was a midfielder.

1 hour ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

The 8-0 result I read in the Express stock press on the back page as I was in Germany and thought it was just a misprint.:(

Great minds think alike Steve I was in Italy and saw the result in a London edition of the Express and told everybody it was a mis print

2 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Horrendous night. We hadn’t conceded at home up until then. 0-8 after 65 minutes and I think they declared. I was at school in Bradford. Not a good place to be the following morning!

44 minutes ago, Tony Flower said:

Horrendous night. We hadn’t conceded at home up until then. 0-8 after 65 minutes and I think they declared. I was at school in Bradford. Not a good place to be the following morning!

Alex Smith was ready for them the following season

5be5dcf8e102d_AlexSmithboardsupgoalTownv

3 people like this

On 08/11/2018, 11:21:46, eddies mate said:

Probably my fave league game too.0-3 at half time then Cook,Barr,Richardson and Butler won it for us.

Still people going today carrying the scars of being dragged off the fence by the dibble....:D

It's a paper cut

46 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's a paper cut

Maimed for life but i wont make a song and dance about it ;)

16 minutes ago, shaykehands said:

Maimed for life but i wont make a song and dance about it ;)

It's the only thing I remember about the game

On 8 November 2018 at 19:56:04, Bill Atkins said:

SHAYMUS

I had the fortune to be at the game when we beat Swindon 4. 3.   And was stood directly in line with Brian Redfern,s winner

Cannot remember the year but we won 4. -  0   Against Doncaster  away  We travelled there in fog avoiding the motorway and arrived 20 minutes late. We got in the ground and found that Town were already winning  4  -  0

Aye that frequently happens, arrive at the ground late to find we are 4-0 up!

On 11/8/2018, 10:54:07, never_shay_die said:

Great to read so many memories on this thread! 

I've supported Town for 20 years so not old enough for some of the suggested games, but in my time nothing has ever come remotely close to Grays away in the play off semi-final in 06. 

It had occasion, drama, atmosphere. It ebbed and flowed. Great football, a great goal, a captain's brace. 

We were the underdogs. Grays blew many teams away that season. Mark Stimson had said before the first leg that if he could have chosen a team to play in the play offs it would have been us, which gave the tie some added bite. 

Going 3-0 up in the first half an hour of the home leg in front of 4000+ fans was incredible (the best first half I've ever seen from Town), but at the end of the game after Grays fought back to finish 3-2 I think most of us knew if would take a mammoth effort to see Grays off in the second leg.

But what a mammoth effort it was. I went from being elated with the early goal, to biting my nails as Grays turned the screw.  The silence in the Town end when Grays went 2-1 up indicated we were all thinking the same thing...that was it. It was all over. Grays would win the tie from here. But then there was THAT Foster penalty. 

The courier headline the next day got it spot on. It was simply "What a night". 

I had forgot how good that first goal was. What a great night. Wonder what happened to the manager? 

2 people like this