Best Game you ever saw !!

121 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Homer Gain said:

Town V Darlington, 1982 ish.  2-0 down. Brilliant Bobby Davison hat-trick in front of a raucous Skircoat to make it 3-2, only for Darlington to get a last minute equalizer.  Game didn't mean much in itself but really stuck in the memory.  Other than that, the City FA Cup match in 1980 would have to be the top memory. 

Billy Ayre netted a header from a corner, Davison got two.

1 person likes this

Best game I ever saw- HTFC's next victory.

9 minutes ago, chadders said:

Best game I ever saw- HTFC's next victory.

11555898-C42A-4A8C-AB31-9C458A231CEC.jpeg

1 person likes this

Stockport 1 Halifax 3

Dinger Bell two and did Bob Mountford score the other ?

Two less sung games than the glory ones 

both away games 

beating Huddersfield 2-1 1973??? 

Then winning at Walsall 1-0 ( so great agame I struggling for the score) and avoiding the drop,, 19 seventies 

SHAYMUS

I had the fortune to be at the game when we beat Swindon 4. 3.   And was stood directly in line with Brian Redfern,s winner

Cannot remember the year but we won 4. -  0   Against Doncaster  away  We travelled there in fog avoiding the motorway and arrived 20 minutes late. We got in the ground and found that Town were already winning  4  -  0

22 hours ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Agree with all those and would add Wimbledon away in ‘82 and Swindon away around the same time. Derby away in the League Cup was a night I will never forget either. 

Bobby Davison's winner at Swindon5be49629db776_BobbyDavisonlastminutewinn

2 people like this

23 hours ago, Juryeff said:

I’ll go with a 5-2 home win v Walsall. Think it was 1990. We were 2-0 down in no time and Jonny Gould got injured. Tommy Graham went in goal and we were awesome. Graham made a decent save in the 2nd half too. 

5be497156dd4c_JonathanGouldsubbedwithfac5be4974b69b04_SteveNorrismobbedWalsallH0

2 people like this

22 hours ago, Jmc said:

Walsall at home fa cup Xmas eve was awesome ,obviously  City In cup, terriers when we won in front of 10,000

John Smith's winner vs Walsall

5be4982d4ed24_JohnSmithscoresthewinner.j

Edited by AndyStafford
typo
1 person likes this

22 hours ago, Jmc said:

Walsall at home fa cup Xmas eve was awesome ,obviously  City In cup, terriers when we won in front of 10,000

Mick Kennedy scores vs Huddersfield

5be4989b08a6f_MickKennedyslotsballpastRa

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, Jmc said:

5be4997670b42_JoeCorriganconcedescorneru5be4998069505_FootballSpecialManCityHFAC

2 people like this

On 11/7/2018, 4:36:46, Derbyshayman said:

For me, Aston Villa away in 1970's. Can still see Dave Chadwick's goal in my dreams

Think this may be Yorkshire Post

5be49a06510c1_DaveChadwickequalisesAston

2 people like this

__2_0032.jpg.41375b1cec0c766d06d7b1480dc

20 hours ago, shaymanjecs said:

So many ..

Kidderminster wasn’t bad if I recall ! Super Geoff and Jamie.

Ice station Gateshead in FA Trophy year...last minute goals.. ET...then Brownies Pen. 

Brackley play off final.

Lincoln away.. Middleton’s last minute goal.  stayed up

Man U Watney Cup

Town 1 City 0 FA Cup. Probably the most underated giant killing that seems to gets overlooked by the media.

But following Town thru the decades of darkness has to be the win at Wembley. brought tears to grown men. Not the greatest of games but for emotion can’t and probably won’t be beat 

19 hours ago, Forever a Shayman said:

Man City FA Cup 1980 also beating Huddersfield Town Boxing Day 1979 in front of 10,000 ,Best away day experience Bolton Wanders away in FA Cup 1980 they said 7,000 Shaymen travelled over the Hill it was more like 10,000 we had behind both goals.Coming out of Bolton railway station was crazy and unreal that day.

8.jpg.d141d802925a1e86f3d341f14173d3d8.j

8 hours ago, Bubba said:

I ripped my shell suit bottoms on that bloody fence.

Is Chadders still lodged on it

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Forever a Shayman said:

Man City FA Cup 1980 also beating Huddersfield Town Boxing Day 1979 in front of 10,000 ,Best away day experience Bolton Wanders away in FA Cup 1980 they said 7,000 Shaymen travelled over the Hill it was more like 10,000 we had behind both goals.Coming out of Bolton railway station was crazy and unreal that day.

5be49c40cae27_BoltonAFAC26-01-80.jpg.8de

12 hours ago, kirkbymoorsidesteve said:

stoke city 4th round of the cup

we actually DID take 10,000 to stoke and nearly won the tie ,when we hit the bar in the last few seconds,with Gordon banks left stranded

the replay saw us well beaten 3-0 but the crowd was the largest I ever saw at the shay,just short of 26,000

5be49ca9c1c26_1968-69StokevTownStoketick

9 hours ago, greygoose said:

For the occasion and memorys its created i find it hard to see past the Wembley win but it wasnt a very good game in reality.

Doncaster Rovers away in the early 90s for me, i can't remember if we were 3-0 at HT but we were 3-0 down and came back to win 4-3. Pretty sure Brain Butler scored but other than that i really cant remember.

Richardson & Butler goals from the away end

5be49fcc87ef6_NickRichardsonequalisesDon5be49fd664fad_BrianButlerdrivesinthewinn

Edited by AndyStafford
typo
2 people like this

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Two less sung games than the glory ones 

both away games 

beating Huddersfield 2-1 1973??? 

Then winning at Walsall 1-0 ( so great agame I struggling for the score) and avoiding the drop,, 19 seventies 

I've always remembered that Huddersfield game.  Went with a friend from work and it was the first away game I'd ever seen.  I'd never seen a crowd that big and I seem to remember it was a very tense match, possibly a relegation clash.  We stood behind the goal and Town scored two goals in quick succession.  Bobby Scaife scored a great goal from outside the box and the other might have been Gwyther.  Was hooked from then on.

29 minutes ago, AndyStafford said:

Think this may be Yorkshire Post

5be49a06510c1_DaveChadwickequalisesAston

We played well that day. Could have won, could have lost. Is that Bruce Rioch in the background?

1 minute ago, Tony Flower said:

We played well that day. Could have won, could have lost. Is that Bruce Rioch in the background?

Looks like him

46 minutes ago, AndyStafford said:

5be49ca9c1c26_1968-69StokevTownStoketick

went on the special train full of Shaymen

Think that police dog put the keeper off just before he scored and that would have bought the green team leader out. Great memories Andy but the Bod wont be happy putting on these great times in our history but what the heck we love em..

On 11/7/2018, 4:48:35, born to moan said:

Beating an all star Manchester United team in 1971, in a full Shay including Speedway track. That will take some beating.

4 of Masahide Tomikoshi's photos from the Watney Cup match

5be4baa85f4e0_ManUtdH31-07-71copyrightMa5be4baac2c27f_ManUtdH31-07-71copyrightMa5be4baafd54e2_ManUtdH31-07-71copyrightMa5be4bab393898_ManUtdH31-07-71copyrightMa

3 people like this