Best Game you ever saw !!

121 posts in this topic

Best part about that Guiseley game was Wally missing the sitter moments after we went 2 up as that was when you knew the game was up. Made even more sweet due to the bellends at Guiseley trying to wind us up by deliberately putting him on the front cover of the match day programme. In the lead up to the game they had either the chairman/manager/programme editor on the radio giving it the big un and laughing about how much Wally loved them, hated us and that putting him on the front page was done to show us who was better. 

After that 90 mins it was clear who were better.

1 person likes this

Guiseley had spent the entire season a definite second against a freakishly on-form Chester who still hold the record for points tallied in that league by a considerable distance. Our "we can still catch up with Chester" mantra got more ironic as the season went on, and now despite having a dull 18 months watching Town I think we're still having the better time of it.

In hindsight we took on the challenge of both the Evo Stik Prem and Conference North really well compared to Chester, even though they won the league. As we built a side with genuine quality that would see many players later go into the Football League, Chester really only had Antoni Sarcevic that went on to better things. We also peaked at the right time and used a squad to its strengths, whilst Chester went and spunked money on the likes of Lee Trundle when the title was already won.

For a long time Chester would have crowed that they had the better of the two Phoenix clubs, however considering where they are now with the mess they have, plus the fact that they only survived their first season at National Level due to Hereford going bust, it looks like history now shines more favourably on us. They had the two league titles, however it looks to have cost them a hell of a lot more money than we spent and 10 years into both clubs reforming we certainly have had the better decade. Even our worst season at National level saw probably our best moment in that day at Wembley. 

Edited by Flea

They would all happily change our last ten seasons with their (still to be complete) ten I'd imagine. Not just Lee Trundle either, Ben Mills who scored against us at the Deva when we brought on Rainford in contrast. It's been abject for them since, both in entertainment and goings on. They're in the playoffs now and are doing surprisingly well to all, but even this season they've suffered the worst result of any Chester side (1–8 at Blyth Spartans) and have been flooded out of their home for a few weeks.

We shouldn't be complacent though, not this year or next.

So many ..

Kidderminster wasn’t bad if I recall ! Super Geoff and Jamie.

Ice station Gateshead in FA Trophy year...last minute goals.. ET...then Brownies Pen. 

Brackley play off final.

Lincoln away.. Middleton’s last minute goal.  stayed up

Man U Watney Cup

Town 1 City 0 FA Cup. Probably the most underated giant killing that seems to gets overlooked by the media.

But following Town thru the decades of darkness has to be the win at Wembley. brought tears to grown men. Not the greatest of games but for emotion can’t and probably won’t be beat 

1 person likes this

Wembley was great but a mate who I trusted ruined the day for when I was doing some air guitar to  the Que he was filming it but did not press the start button,feel like a bit of name and shame would not go amiss.

Man City FA Cup 1980 also beating Huddersfield Town Boxing Day 1979 in front of 10,000 ,Best away day experience Bolton Wanders away in FA Cup 1980 they said 7,000 Shaymen travelled over the Hill it was more like 10,000 we had behind both goals.Coming out of Bolton railway station was crazy and unreal that day.

2 people like this

8 hours ago, Juryeff said:

I’ll go with a 5-2 home win v Walsall. Think it was 1990. We were 2-0 down in no time and Jonny Gould got injured. Tommy Graham went in goal and we were awesome. Graham made a decent save in the 2nd half too. 

Got the full match on YouTube to unlock soon :)

In fact I'll do it today! 

Edited by Shaymen Stats
2 people like this

5 hours ago, Pliny Harris said:

In seriousness, it might be the playoff win at Guiseley from me. When Matty Pearson smashed it in it turned our status in my head from this widely mocked, regional league side who had never set the Conference North alight to more-than-capable Conference newcomers. 

It was Alex Johnson who scored Towns first goal at Guiseley but I'm sure Matty Pearson was in and around the celebrations! 

Edited by Shaymen Stats
1 person likes this

stoke city 4th round of the cup

we actually DID take 10,000 to stoke and nearly won the tie ,when we hit the bar in the last few seconds,with Gordon banks left stranded

the replay saw us well beaten 3-0 but the crowd was the largest I ever saw at the shay,just short of 26,000

4 hours ago, Shaymen Stats said:

It was Alex Johnson who scored Towns first goal at Guiseley but I'm sure Matty Pearson was in and around the celebrations! 

I think it was Pearson who put the center in for Johnson. I was right in line behind the net when he smashed it in.

1 person likes this

Town V Darlington, 1982 ish.  2-0 down. Brilliant Bobby Davison hat-trick in front of a raucous Skircoat to make it 3-2, only for Darlington to get a last minute equalizer.  Game didn't mean much in itself but really stuck in the memory.  Other than that, the City FA Cup match in 1980 would have to be the top memory. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Shaymen Stats said:

ASSIST! It's surprising that a few of us on this thread have discarded with vital parts of our favourite Town games :D

1 person likes this

Swindon Town at home in (I think) 1961.

Town 3  -  0 Down with 20 minutes to go then Barry Tait scored a hat trick before Neil Redfearn scored with the last kick of the match to complete an unforgettable comeback win.

Sadly Town were relegated that season and Swindon were promoted

Also Rochdale at home when Les Massie scored to win the game and get us our first ever promotion

2 people like this

For the occasion and memorys its created i find it hard to see past the Wembley win but it wasnt a very good game in reality.

Doncaster Rovers away in the early 90s for me, i can't remember if we were 3-0 at HT but we were 3-0 down and came back to win 4-3. Pretty sure Brain Butler scored but other than that i really cant remember.

Edited by greygoose
1 person likes this

Just now, greygoose said:

For the occasion and memorys its created i find it hard to see past the Wembley win but it wasnt a very good game in reality.

Doncaster Rovers away in the early 90s for me, i can't remember if we were 3-0 at HT but we were 3-0 down and came back to win 4-3. Pretty sure Brain Butler scored but other than that i really cant remember.

Probably my fave league game too.0-3 at half time then Cook,Barr,Richardson and Butler won it for us.

Still people going today carrying the scars of being dragged off the fence by the dibble....:D

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, eddies mate said:

Probably my fave league game too.0-3 at half time then Cook,Barr,Richardson and Butler won it for us.

Still people going today carrying the scars of being dragged off the fence by the dibble....:D

I ripped my shell suit bottoms on that bloody fence.

11 hours ago, Forever a Shayman said:

Man City FA Cup 1980 also beating Huddersfield Town Boxing Day 1979 in front of 10,000 ,Best away day experience Bolton Wanders away in FA Cup 1980 they said 7,000 Shaymen travelled over the Hill it was more like 10,000 we had behind both goals.Coming out of Bolton railway station was crazy and unreal that day.

Nope we had just the terrace behind the goal believe me 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Jmc said:

Nope we had just the terrace behind the goal believe me 

Was working at Horton St at time and if memory serves the people buying seating tickets were put behind the opposite end.

1 hour ago, eddies mate said:

Ha trying to restart the game and I was dancing round the centre circle lol 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, MR. D said:

Swindon Town at home in (I think) 1961.

Town 3  -  0 Down with 20 minutes to go then Barry Tait scored a hat trick before Neil Redfearn scored with the last kick of the match to complete an unforgettable comeback win.

Sadly Town were relegated that season and Swindon were promoted

Also Rochdale at home when Les Massie scored to win the game and get us our first ever promotion

Not a great game and the majority of the crowd had left with 15 minutes to go.

But that Redfern winner from the corner of the left hand edge of the penalty area into the far right top corner was as unbelievable as it was unexpected and is ingrained in my brain.

2 people like this

14 hours ago, Pliny Harris said:

They would all happily change our last ten seasons with their (still to be complete) ten I'd imagine. Not just Lee Trundle either, Ben Mills who scored against us at the Deva when we brought on Rainford in contrast. It's been abject for them since, both in entertainment and goings on. They're in the playoffs now and are doing surprisingly well to all, but even this season they've suffered the worst result of any Chester side (1–8 at Blyth Spartans) and have been flooded out of their home for a few weeks.

We shouldn't be complacent though, not this year or next.

Only one point off top now are Chester. Chorley have gone on a losing streak. Fancy Chester to win the league. 

7 minutes ago, mj85 said:

Only one point off top now are Chester. Chorley have gone on a losing streak. Fancy Chester to win the league. 

I noticed that, fans still moaning they played sh!te the other night though! 

Some turnaround from the embarrassment at Blyth. 

Their management duo are not everyone’s cup of tea but they certainly get the job done.

Wouldn't bet against them, but the Bradford clubs could be 1 league apart next season, bonkers - as Dizzee Rascal once sang.

It’s wide open now.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, eddies mate said:

Was working at Horton St at time and if memory serves the people buying seating tickets were put behind the opposite end.

We did have fans in seating at opposite end because I know a few people that were sat in there with loads of other Shaymen.

Edited by Forever a Shayman

19 hours ago, Jmc said:

Walsall at home fa cup Xmas eve was awesome ,obviously  City In cup, terriers when we won in front of 10,000

That trio of games was something special - Walsall, aet, Huddersfield Town two days later, then Man City. And let's not forget the nil-niller with Peterborough before the Man City game - what an exciting encounter that was! In nearly forty years following Town, there's been some special games and some exciting games. The Walsall cup replay on Christmas Eve was perhaps the most magical - it set us all up for presents, turkey and Morecambe & Wise (ITV) the following day, knowing we had the visit of Man City to come. I can recall a 3-3 draw with Darlington on a windswept evening in March 1982, came back from 2-0 down to lead 3-2 only to be undone by David Speedie with the last kick of the match. Most exciting finish has to be with the new club at Garforth, 3-1 down in injury time, etc. I'd have loved to have been at The Shay when Town came back from 3-1 down v Swindon in September 1962, with Brian Redfearn netting the winner. He was apparently a neighbour of ours then, living on Slead Grove, Brighouse, and didn't have a car. Worst singular experience ever? Marine away in the FA Cup, November 1992, and anything from the 2001-02 season. Just awful.