Best Game you ever saw !!

121 posts in this topic

For me, Aston Villa away in 1970's. Can still see Dave Chadwick's goal in my dreams

Said to all my mates that we would have a party at my house paid for by me of course and then the team go and let you down which shows what a funny team we support. Cost me a bomb and would you believe it said the same thing with Manchester City and happened again.

3 people like this

1993 West Brom at home in the FA cup when we won 2-1. Skircoat went nuts!!

2 people like this

3-1 win at Burnley 1985/6

1 person likes this

Yeah probably West Brom in Cup.

But 3-3 at home to Macclesfield in 96/97 comes pretty close adrenaline wise.

We were dead and buried and pretty much relegated at 3-1 down.

Absolute scenes when Hulmey made it 3-3. Could have won it too. Spoilt Macc’s promotion party.

That was the springboard to beat Stevenage in the last game to stay up, in an otherwise horrendous season. 4-5 at home to Bath being a particular low.

Oh and Garforth away, where to begin? 

Garforth away

Nearly as many at that as there were at Whitby (or at least that have since said they were there)

2 people like this

31 minutes ago, Shaymen Stats said:

Southport at home 98. Tears when Hanson slipped it for 4-3. Champions of champions 

If only for the atmosphere, this one for me too, with Morecambe away a close second. Most away games that season were special.

2 people like this

Chesterfield at home, 2018/19 I think it was.

3 people like this

Scunthorpe away. Marc Lloyd Williams looked like Ronaldo that day

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, monk said:

Grays away in play off semi final , being in the away end with 500 other Shaymen and the feeling when the game ended , unforgettable.

It wasn't a great game just dramatic.

Awesome night

1 person likes this

I’ll go with a 5-2 home win v Walsall. Think it was 1990. We were 2-0 down in no time and Jonny Gould got injured. Tommy Graham went in goal and we were awesome. Graham made a decent save in the 2nd half too. 

Stevenage away 2007ish. Losing 2-0 at half time, down to 10 men to go on to win 3-2, heslop and stamp amongst the goals, a great rare away win.

Fa trophy final.

Grays and grimsby away.

All brilliant nights

2 people like this

Agree with all those and would add Wimbledon away in ‘82 and Swindon away around the same time. Derby away in the League Cup was a night I will never forget either. 

1 hour ago, vinnyweknuts said:

4. Lancaster home 3-0 - coming into the stadium realising this would be a perfect day with an awesome turnout

Finished 4-0, but yeah, there was something quite electrifying about that game. The fans were on form, there were hardly any Lancaster fans in the ground and they got blown out of the water from the first kick of the game. The Lancaster players were bricking it in the tunnel and it was clear as day once we scored it was a matter of how many. Think there was a bad accident on the way to the ground that a few of their players witnessed (or saw the aftermath of) which apparently put them off a bit too.

The week after that was pretty sweet too, as we smashed 3rd place Curzon 5-0 a few days later then Lancaster dropped points at Trafford thanks to one of the Mcdonald brothers we had had earlier in the season scoring. 

Garforth away, as I've never, and don't think I'll ever see a finale like it.

Atmosphere wise, Grimsby  1-0 away when Maynard scored in front of the town fans.

For atmosphere this one has to be up there too. I think no one was expecting such a big crowd that day. The game was low on quality, but had pretty much all the ingredients from such a game.

Two Men's blog of it is simply amazing too.

2 people like this

35 minutes ago, Flea said:

Finished 4-0, but yeah, there was something quite electrifying about that game. The fans were on form, there were hardly any Lancaster fans in the ground and they got blown out of the water from the first kick of the game. The Lancaster players were bricking it in the tunnel and it was clear as day once we scored it was a matter of how many. Think there was a bad accident on the way to the ground that a few of their players witnessed (or saw the aftermath of) which apparently put them off a bit too.

The week after that was pretty sweet too, as we smashed 3rd place Curzon 5-0 a few days later then Lancaster dropped points at Trafford thanks to one of the Mcdonald brothers we had had earlier in the season scoring. 

Indeed you are correct, think I was getting too carried away ensuring I didn't get the faves in wong order

In seriousness, it might be the playoff win at Guiseley from me. When Matty Pearson smashed it in it turned our status in my head from this widely mocked, regional league side who had never set the Conference North alight to more-than-capable Conference newcomers. Everything leading up to that made me bitterly resistant to the idea that we'd progress up the leagues. We'd had a season that started with so much promise and got more uniquely frustrating as time went on, had a home leg against them in front of a disappointing crowd having only scored from a penalty. I felt we were being put through the churner once again, being tortured with another playoff crash. Then I found myself giving a double hi-five to him as he ran by and we were somehow bringing the place down from this cold and exposed hard standing outside Leeds.

Gregory scored that thunderbastard shortly after, the quality of goal he would then be known for. Walshaw missed an open net seconds later and Toulson did a little skip and jump. A few of us got on the pitch. I was being teetotal for a few weeks but remember I had a barley wine back in the city, then remained confident all the way to Brackley away, without once letting on. It wasn't an easy game to watch in Northamptonshire, the weather was poor and the atmosphere couldn't get going with what we had.

But it was that Guiseley game that flicked the switch. We hadn't beaten a team in the top seven for the entire season and suddenly turned it on. We ultimately rode that wave until September the next year. In the final games of the season Danny Lowe tweeted at some point, "Body = completely dead", so it's remarkable they went from bad form, demoralisation, and a paucity of convincing results, to those final performances. I think we played 12 games over that April.

I remember being sat outside late that summer when the Matty Pearson goal flashed through my mind and I got up and punched the air without thinking. Luckily no-one noticed, but that's the effect it had. I'd crawl through broken glass to get Gregory and Pearson re-signed.

1 person likes this