Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bromley - match thread

154 posts in this topic

We've only lost 2 games in September and only had 1 disappointing result against Maidenhead. Yeh, I would've liked us to get a few more points on the board but I do think people are being overly negative. Octobers fixtures are easier on paper and I'm confident the wins will come

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, sumbody said:

We've only lost 2 games in September and only had 1 disappointing result against Maidenhead. Yeh, I would've liked us to get a few more points on the board but I do think people are being overly negative. Octobers fixtures are easier on paper and I'm confident the wins will come

These lot would be negative even if we were ten points clear at the top. 

17 minutes ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

These lot would be negative even if we were ten points clear at the top. 

Regardless of current position you must be even slightly disappointed to have not won a single game in September? Especially following the really good start we had to the season. Clearly capable of performing but haven’t done in while. No way we should be feeling pleased to get a draw with a Bromley side with plenty of players missing, including a last minute keeper change.

Must be a big shock and upset for yourself as well as you were so confident that we would win today. 

3 people like this

3 minutes ago, ewalsh said:

Regardless of current position you must be even slightly disappointed to have not won a single game in September? Especially following the really good start we had to the season. Clearly capable of performing but haven’t done in while. No way we should be feeling pleased to get a draw with a Bromley side with plenty of players missing, including a last minute keeper change.

Must be a big shock and upset for yourself as well as you were so confident that we would win today. 

Fantastic start to the season. Poor October admittedly. However we are probably where we should be currently. I think try and win all your home games and get as many points away from home as possible 

Whichever way you look at it, we need a win soon just to remain competitive and give us some motivation

4 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Whichever way you look at it, we need a win soon just to remain competitive and give us some motivation

Look at it realistically or positively. Don’t go over to the dark side. You won’t come back 

1 hour ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Nothing dramatic about it my love. Was just sick of the negativity. 

Face facts. We are where we should be. All the **** that gets spouted on here is by and large unhelpful. One of the culprits liked your comment. 

Fair enough. Bit like the “I may be some time” line then rapping on the tent door cos it’s cold out here. But if you left because of the negativity and we are still being negative, why come back?

Just now, Tony Flower said:

Fair enough. Bit like the “I may be some time” line then rapping on the tent door cos it’s cold out here. But if you left because of the negativity and we are still being negative, why come back?

Because I knew you would miss me....

Well it’s true, we all did. That twenty seconds between you leaving us forever and coming back felt like an eternity...

Edited by Tony Flower
1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, Trackingback said:

‘Radio interview with JF tonight:’

“I couldn’t have asked more from the group – the unquenchable desire and passion to come back twice is the steel reinforcement to the concrete unit we are building.

“I never single out individuals from within the group because I don’t want to unwittingly undermine their burgeoning cohesiveness they are building from within but I feel we saw performances which typifies the spirit of leadership which we will soon be commemorating on the 100th anniversary of the First World War armistice.

“I’ve touched on this before, but  I am the sat nav that they follow but towards the end there the power cable came out and the boys were  working on instinct but these boys know these streets.

“It must be my Scottishness, but I’m never happy when we don’t win but I think the Zygomaticus muscles in my face might be trying to force a wee smile tonight."

Well, that’s what he would have said . . . .

If his interviews are a window into him as a person i'm starting to believe he's over complicating things. No relevence at all to most of that interview. If he's coming up with similar analogies to the players it's possible they have absolutely no idea what he's waffling on about

1 person likes this

At least his interviews (even the one made up in this case, bravo!) are better than this. 

Billy Heath. Welcome to Shaymen TV

*wipes full face down from top to bottom with one hand. Looks in both directions then sort of nearly at camera. Sticks finger in ear and wiggles it about a bit. Pouts and folds arms. Answers sort of, look left to right again*

3 people like this

Bromley had one of the worst back lines I’ve seen and we just didn’t get at them.

Playing Southwell as a number 10 makes no sense and we have nothing in the middle of the park.

Sellars and Hanson excellent, Preston had a good game.

Odelusi is atrocious, looked like a park player.

1 person likes this

Got to say looks like Fullarton has found a gem in Preston. Never fails to impress me.

4 people like this

Still 10th in the table.

Would still be delighted with 10th at the end of the season. 

3 people like this

On to the game - very little quality on show from either side tbf and a game I feel that with our entire team available and playing on form its the sort of game we could comfortably win.

In the circumstance, an away point is good, even more so when we snatched the point in the end, so whilst I feel we could have had more, Im not too downbeat.

Soft pen for them, albeit I think its the right call. Chances in the first half pretty much nill for both sides after that apart from a breakaway with Edwards and Hanson, which broke down before a shot could be fired when Hanson tried to pass back instead of possibly taking a shot himself.

Bromley the masters of their own downfall by needlessly giving away a corner from which we eventually scored from. We played it short, managed to get the recycled ball which Staunton scored from. Bromley’s equalliser is the best goal of the day and it was the rare time either side managed to ping the ball about for a bit before a crisp finish into the corner of the net. Credit to them for that play, the goal was good. 

We did however show great character and never gave up throughout the game and that paid off with a deserved equaliser into injury time. Felt even better as Bromley were the typical kind of side you would expect from a Southern side, going down like someone had axed them through the head at the slightest touch and time wasting pretty much throughout. 

Negatives for me was the lack of presence in midfield for the most part. We seemed to fail to get a period of pressure and possession together and just seemed to be starved of the right outlet to get the ball upfront. Edwards ran a good game but again the end product looked and was lacking and again when he looked dead on his feet he was kept on. Southwell being subbed instead of him was poor in my opinion, however not going to get into my view on the subs yet again as nothing today changed from the last time out. Again for me JF weakened us with changes, or lack of them.

Positives was the determination to grind something out. We could easily have folded and accepted defeat there. Staunton’s got through a lot of that game and after a period of time out that was good to see. Whilst also not the best, we wont be talking about the ref ruining it for us for a change either, which when coming back from a Southern game is a rarety. He was decent enough.

Edited by Flea
2 people like this

34 minutes ago, wornomad123 said:

Blimey, I think some fans have been spoiled by promotions and Wembley. For those of us who followed the club through the lean 80s and early 90s, we couldn't even imagine equivalent of play offs or top 10. FGS stop knocking the club, the players, the results and the ambition. When we lost 4-1 at Marine in the FA Cup, we thought we'd fold, never play again and were mega skint, it is a joy that we have a club, a team, a board who won't gamble on the financial precipice, and a ground to enjoy and be proud of. Get a chuffin grip!!

exactly 

44 minutes ago, wornomad123 said:

Blimey, I think some fans have been spoiled by promotions and Wembley. For those of us who followed the club through the lean 80s and early 90s, we couldn't even imagine equivalent of play offs or top 10. FGS stop knocking the club, the players, the results and the ambition. When we lost 4-1 at Marine in the FA Cup, we thought we'd fold, never play again and were mega skint, it is a joy that we have a club, a team, a board who won't gamble on the financial precipice, and a ground to enjoy and be proud of. Get a chuffin grip!!

Definitely lots of positives. Different kettle of fish to the old club. Back then it was will we survive and will we stay up. Now it's a case of let's get past 50 points and see where we are because there will definitely be a club next season. 

1 person likes this

50 minutes ago, wornomad123 said:

Hardly anyone has been overly critical, you are overeacting.

Because we are historically crap, we should all relax and enjoy the reality that we'll always be crap (with a light scattering of high points) ? Fleas report talks about 'very little quality on show', how many times does that need repeating before we realise how bang average this league is . Some seasons our current form may be acceptable but this season we'll soon be running out of excuses . The league is embarrassingly average, we are average to the point of underachieving . Stop looking over our shoulders, stop showing our opponents respect that they haven't earned, look beyond plan A And start making some statements ! Because draws and 'very little quality on show' won't attract fans down to The Shay .

4 people like this