Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Harrogate Town

23 posts in this topic

How do we think it's going to pan out for them this year?  One of the two pretend clubs in the North and one where the dad owns it and the son manages it, which always feels like the father is just indulging his lad.  Still not built a decent following and of course one of those clubs who have opted for the cursed, game ruining plastic pitch.

I never expected them to be leading the pack at any stage this year.  How do we think it will pan out?  My instinct says they will fall away quite early, but that could be more my hope possibly because of not wanting another hobbyist club to succeed.

Top of the pile and top goalscorers by far, some good attendances. Very, very impressive.

They will not fade away this season, will be in the mix at the end.

Shows how average the league is and how tight it might be . We have as much chance of falling down the order . Some clever investment over a number of years has put Harrogate where they are and with continued investment they can be more successful than Guiseley, their plastic pitch is core to their community links so promotion to the Football League would be a dilemma

1 hour ago, Shaytrev said:

Top of the pile and top goalscorers by far, some good attendances. Very, very impressive.

They will not fade away this season, will be in the mix at the end.

Attendances are decent for them but feel a long way off what could sustain a competitive team at this level or the next one up.  That said, they do fill a gap in the football market to exploit. 

Would the ground be up to league standard? Obviously the pitch would have to go. 

I think they’ll do similar to what we did in 2013/14 - I don’t think they’ll win it, but I think they’ll be in no danger of relegation and will be flirting with the play offs a lot of the season. Of course they may do what we did last season, we were 2nd at this stage, then fell away drastically. I’d give them a top 10 finish tbh.

When they lose one they’ll lose a few, the bubble is at bursting point.

They’ve done well, top 10 finish, possibly play-offs, but we’ll still finish above the Tarquin’s.

I would argue they’re a lot more of an organic club than Class of 92 Man Utd MK3 FC.

Harrogate have had a lot of botox and plastic surgery, Salford are the Stepford Wives.

3 people like this

Less of a hobby club than Flyde as well, and possibly Morning Wood, who are a Bostik North outfit living on a high of Arsenal's women. Quite a few hobby types in our league, and although Harrogant's attendances are now the same as ours I doubt they'll bring much more to the Shay than the 72 they took that last bank holiday we played them. Football is a quaint curiosity to them really, that's why their main chant is a cub scouts number and why they wear yellow fedoras. Usually their manager loses the confidence of his overinflated squad after a few months. It never happened last season, but generally explains their trajectory from top team to midtable over the course of the season.

If not... then they will have difficulty getting the ground up to scratch. We haven't had a team denied promotion into the league for ground grading since was it Stevenage in the '90s?

A £750k pitch replacement (plus likely extra funds to properly level it out) is the sort of expenditure that would destroy us but artificial clubs like Harrogant can spend without so much more than a "But, DAA-AAD" from Weaver Jr. However they also have a tiny site on Wetherby Road, likely also flanked by NIMBYs who wouldn't want to see the backs of football league stands from their drawing rooms. I doubt there's space to build a 2,000 seater stand and big terracing in thag area, and that's before other facilities. They'd need to up sticks and rebuild. Perhaps they'll move out a few miles to somewhere like Kirkby Overblow. It worked for Flyde and their drooling, guffawing fans don't let things like geographical belonging faze them in their gold digging pursuits.

1 person likes this

Are Harrogate definitely not allowed promotion with that pitch?

The Rugby Union site has lots of potential as do numerous other sites bordering Harrogate, so upping sticks shouldn't be too much hassle if their fan buys into it

2 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

Less of a hobby club than Flyde as well, and possibly Morning Wood, who are a Bostik North outfit living on a high of Arsenal's women. Quite a few hobby types in our league, and although Harrogant's attendances are now the same as ours I doubt they'll bring much more to the Shay than the 72 they took that last bank holiday we played them. Football is a quaint curiosity to them really, that's why their main chant is a cub scouts number and why they wear yellow fedoras. Usually their manager loses the confidence of his overinflated squad after a few months. It never happened last season, but generally explains their trajectory from top team to midtable over the course of the season.

If not... then they will have difficulty getting the ground up to scratch. We haven't had a team denied promotion into the league for ground grading since was it Stevenage in the '90s?

A £750k pitch replacement (plus likely extra funds to properly level it out) is the sort of expenditure that would destroy us but artificial clubs like Harrogant can spend without so much more than a "But, DAA-AAD" from Weaver Jr. However they also have a tiny site on Wetherby Road, likely also flanked by NIMBYs who wouldn't want to see the backs of football league stands from their drawing rooms. I doubt there's space to build a 2,000 seater stand and big terracing in thag area, and that's before other facilities. They'd need to up sticks and rebuild. Perhaps they'll move out a few miles to somewhere like Kirkby Overblow. It worked for Flyde and their drooling, guffawing fans don't let things like geographical belonging faze them in their gold digging pursuits.

I thought their main chant to us was 'we all pay your benefits', from our tweed clad betters to us idle plebs from industrial W Yorks?

13 minutes ago, Shayite 432 said:

I thought their main chant to us was 'we all pay your benefits', from our tweed clad betters to us idle plebs from industrial W Yorks?

Little kids were chanting that at us! Where could they have learnt it from?

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, LeedsShaymen said:

Are Harrogate definitely not allowed promotion with that pitch?

As the rules stand currently no.

6 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

The Rugby Union site has lots of potential as do numerous other sites bordering Harrogate, so upping sticks shouldn't be too much hassle if their fan buys into it

Lots of green space around the town centre lying idle. Ripe for a Sports Village and a Tesco.

Money talks in general ... look at the current top 7 and there is one glaring odd one out and it’s the shaymen..

I doubt Harrogate spend that much for this level in reality despite having a reputation for it, their squad is more or less as it was last season.

3 hours ago, Scot said:

Money talks in general ... look at the current top 7 and there is one glaring odd one out and it’s the shaymen..

I would also add Harrogate to that list Scot. They are not short of a bob or two behind the scenes but they aren't another Fylde and definitely no where near a Salford.

I was just looking at our goals scored average which is 1.4 goals a game. If we can raise that to 1.6 we won't be far off come the end of the season, especially with our defence.

1 person likes this

Theres just something not right with Harrogate Town for me.

Not sure what it is, however I've never felt like its felt like a proper football club/game every time we play them. By that I mean its always a sterile atmosphere and there seems to be a very big disconnect between their fans and the team. 

When we were doing the tour of Evo Stik clubs there were often very few home fans however there was often a sense of community and history/pride with the teams. With Harrogate it always feels like those fans don't really care as much. Its just odd. 

1 person likes this

It does have the feel that most home fans have just donned their coat and gone down for a quiet Saturday afternoon out hence the lack of diehard support 

They're still top, and having looked at their highlights they are scoring goals with style. I'm tipping Orient for the title, but it could be that Harrogate Town are there on merit although with many big challenges to come.  Next up for them are Orient, Wrexham and Boreham Wood.

Harrogate are a good side, people need to stop judging footballing ability on the fact they aren't a 'big' club.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Ash said:

Harrogate are a good side, people need to stop judging footballing ability on the fact they aren't a 'big' club.

They've got a manager that has true passion for the club and that counts for a lot in a league packed with prima donnas and journeymen

8 hours ago, olitheshayman said:

They're still top, and having looked at their highlights they are scoring goals with style. I'm tipping Orient for the title, but it could be that Harrogate Town are there on merit although with many big challenges to come.  Next up for them are Orient, Wrexham and Boreham Wood.

It will be interesting to see what their points haul is from these matches. We played one at home and two away and collected two points, They have Orient and Wrexham at home and Boreham Wood away so I suppose three points would be on par with our tally.