Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Old match videos

13 posts in this topic

Love looking at the video clips of old matches 

but it does hurt as it shows how dismal our  existence has been compared to  those clubs

Rotherham 

used to be a regular game but not much chance of being in the same league again in my life time 

always wonder why we failed but other similar sized clubs had better years 

nick 

Edited by Nick
1 person likes this

I'm sure there won't be any strong opinions for this one!

Wouldn't call Rotherham a similar sized club 

We just don't have the backing of the people in the town to be any more than we are now, the support is there when the big game or the crunch time comes up. These people slide away for the nitty gritty stuff. 

We can always aspire to be more and I still live in hope that we can have another sample of football league life. 

We have had a fabulous 10 years though as a club. 4 promotions. 1 trip to Wembley. It certainly hasn't been dull. 

25 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Wouldn't call Rotherham a similar sized club 

We just don't have the backing of the people in the town to be any more than we are now, the support is there when the big game or the crunch time comes up. These people slide away for the nitty gritty stuff. 

We can always aspire to be more and I still live in hope that we can have another sample of football league life. 

We have had a fabulous 10 years though as a club. 4 promotions. 1 trip to Wembley. It certainly hasn't been dull. 

trips to Braintree have been

2 people like this

29 minutes ago, Nick said:

Love looking at the video clips of old matches 

but it does hurt as it shows how dismal our  existence has been compared to  those clubs

Rotherham 

used to be a regular game but not much chance of being in the same league again in my life time 

always wonder why we failed but other similar sized clubs had better years 

nick 

South Yorkshire clubs have always been relatively well supported, in turn bringing more chance of success.

Probably something to do with not having Rugby League to compete with, and the mining/steel industries bringing in the crowds en masse when there was feck all else to do after a shift.

Football is a bigger part of the community down there.

Rotherham FC are the only real sporting club in the town. Whereas we have had a successful rugby team in the past as well. They have the two Sheffield club's nearby but we have lots of bigger club's nearby to take away our following.

Rotherham have been successful and have won promotion on numerous occasions but we just couldn't string together a good enough season to do just that and we were always on a downward spiral with no new fanbase of any numerical note attaching itself to the club. At the same time we didn't have a real money man who could sign great players to compliment the few we had and we always had to sell any talent we had to survive. Rotherham always seemed to keep a steady crowd of triple ours plus more when they were playing well and they've had some decent chairmen who have put their money where their mouth is and pushed their club forward.

Our golden era was probably late 60s to early 70s. Before my time so not sure what brought it to an end. If we'd had some extra investment back then it could have been Div 2.

I think Rochdale are more of a comparison for us.  i think, were we in their position we would actually be getting a bigger following.  Our two big chances were our last return to the league and the Wilder era. Both were scuppered by incompetence off the field.

4 people like this

4 hours ago, francisfirth said:

I think Rochdale are more of a comparison for us.  i think, were we in their position we would actually be getting a bigger following.  Our two big chances were our last return to the league and the Wilder era. Both were scuppered by incompetence off the field.

The thing is whatever league we find ourselves in, if we're not doing well the home support wont be there for us. Infact if we are doing well the home support still might not be there.

You look at last weekend after our own good start against one of the biggest clubs in this league who sat top of the table and we get 1,600 home fans, not even Leeds, Bradford or Huddersfield to compete with. I know there's issues over fans now picking and choosing games due to pricing but that was really poor.

We all know there's things that can be improved on within the club relating to pricing, marketing, information, ect but is this really going to draw in a significant number of fans even if its perfectly thought out?

In my 30 years of going down the shay other than a couple of dire season in our first spell in non league and the 'bounce' back in the FL for 2 years our core support has always been at 1200-1500. This doesn't even change much if were 2nd or 22nd in the league, so the question is does Halifax really have an appetite for a successful football club? History is begining to tell us not.

there are quite a few of our 'old perennial struggling mates' now doing amazingly well - how about AFC Bournemouth who use to be our annual companions in the old division four re-election scramble - it's unbelievable where they are now and signing players for tens of millions!

Watford (remember Elton John turning up that Tuesday night? - one of my funniest times watching Town!!) Swansea Burnley Hudders and several others now in the land of milk and honey also used to be regular opponents down t'Shay and look at them now - if only we could stumble across a major money man/fan like they have, but sadly I feel not in my (old git's) lifetime :-( 

Ah well we can dream of such things -  io Shaymen…..

Watford was slightly before my time but I remember watching a Parkinson interview with Elton. He weren't best pleased with the Halifax welcome he received as I remember.

1 hour ago, percy shaw said:

Watford was slightly before my time but I remember watching a Parkinson interview with Elton. He weren't best pleased with the Halifax welcome he received as I remember.

Elton said it was the most embarrassing moment in his life but had a laugh about it. If it happened today there would be mass arrests and a huge fine for the club,