Barrow Thread

199 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Forever a Shayman said:

Just looked at Barrow forum it says we agree with them that they were the better team I cannot see that anywhere on here and certainly wasn't the case. We got what we deserved tonight which was 3 points, On a negative side I wasn't too impressed with someone sat behind me giving Jordan Preston a fair bit of abuse it certainly wasn't warranted, The Part TIMER didn't do too badly when he came on running rings around those full-time defenders.

Can label them the Arsenal of non league. Nice little triangles but they won bugger all :lol:

Phew did that happen and are little old HT top,can understand why Kossi does not start who looked jaded but after some F/T training he will be ok and what a joy for Brown to get that goal  and the Abba Megamix all the way back to the coast. 

McCloud looked unhappy to not have got any game time, just needs a bit of patience, his time will come

2 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

McCloud looked unhappy to not have got any game time, just needs a bit of patience, his time will come

Can't understand why he's not been given a chance in either game,I did notice at half-time Mekhi & Odelusi warming up near dugouts while the other 3 subs warmed up in front of the Skircoat,we'll need them all this season so I hope it's a happy camp..........Ben Tomlinson has been superb in both games-long may it continue 

6 hours ago, Flea said:

I think maybe some people are having unrealistic memories about how good the standard in this league is. For the majority of teams, its very low quality. Even last year, a lot of the teams we played were pretty horrific to watch and games were won or lost with very little quality on show.

I say the same every time the debate crops up about how much harder it is to win promotion these days compared to 97/98. It's all relative, if quality genuinely has improved, it's improved across the board. Stands to reason. Same happens in the Premier League, if the top clubs sign the world's best players, the players they would have otherwise used become available for the so-called lesser teams. You still get Burnley beating Man City, etc.

Even if last nights performance wasn’t the best at times then it’s even more positive that they won 2-0 , got 3 points and kept another clean sheet 

new team , early days .. 4 scored , 0 conceded .. what’s not to like? :D

7 hours ago, Scot said:

Just waiting on awaydays now to rethink his ‘maximum of 4 points from 5 games’ prediction

come on big fella... give us a smile ! :)

I’m sure you picked up from ‘commentary’ Barrow had a good first half.

Oversll a good win and a big improvement on the last game at the Shay.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, awaydays said:

I’m sure you picked up from ‘commentary’ Barrow had a good first half.

Oversll a good win and a big improvement on the last game at the Shay.

To be fair , I just watched JF's interview and whilst he's obviously pleased, I think his body language suggests that he knows there is a lot of room for improvement

Yeah , first half seemed from the commentary to be about 400 throw ins !

Listen , its a clean sheet and confidence building, lets hope they take it into Saturday and kick on from here ..early days so lets hope they keep improving

Agree JF seems a smart enough guy to always look to improve the play the team and more importantly the individuals 

he has brought in young players who are not the finished articles, he will work on coaching them developing them 

many of our players who some of you are already niggling at will get better with game time and full time coaching and OUR support 

really believe if we can keep injury free this team will just get better 

roll on Saturday 

3 people like this

8 hours ago, Pliny Harris said:

Special credit to the Barra player who went down outside the playing area and rolled around a bit, then walked casually onto the pitch and tumbled over again just so he could hold up play. Matty Brown retaliated by foisting him up, which made him wriggle like an eel but got our captain booked. I think that sort of thing showed our assertiveness on the game though.

Get the **** booked. If they announced they were going to do this at the start of the season and adhered to it, this kind of tripe would stop soon enough.

Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct

Cautionable Offenses. A player is cautioned if guilty of: [amongst others...]

– Entering, re-entering or deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission”

2 people like this

Barrow fans sounding abit like footballing snobs which is strange consisdering they escpaed relegation by the skin of their teeth last season.

They did try play out on the back even with the Gk and try exploit the fact our attacking wing players are abit higher, but the fact is they simply were not good enough at it, anytime their defence or their No. 4  got put under any pressure the ball soon ended up out of play for our throw in, had a few shots off target but didnt really threaten until a 10-15 min spell in the 2nd half when they was trying to equalise.

Good win, but as said we need to get better but think we will.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Scot said:

Even if last nights performance wasn’t the best at times then it’s even more positive that they won 2-0 , got 3 points and kept another clean sheet 

new team , early days .. 4 scored , 0 conceded .. what’s not to like? :D

Good to see 'you' getting animated at times :D

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Good to see 'you' getting animated at times :D

I’m sure the manager appreciated the goals as much as the crowd did ;)

i was in my car when the first goal went in so I didn’t go too mental ! 

Barrow tried playing football but only a few passes between centre backs and the keeper then a stray pass away to give us back possession. 1st half they had some speculative efforts all from outside the box.  Comfortable enough victory really

1 hour ago, Shayman Matt said:

Get the **** booked. If they announced they were going to do this at the start of the season and adhered to it, this kind of tripe would stop soon enough.

Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct

Cautionable Offenses. A player is cautioned if guilty of: [amongst others...]

– Entering, re-entering or deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission”

You can see why Matty Brown reacted

He will hate cheats, like the rest of us fans

1 person likes this

A contrast of styles, Barrow passing the ball around whilst we took the more direct approach which ultimately won the night. Thought we were poor in the 1st half and fortunate to be in the lead, i'm not one for passing the ball for the sake of it but we just couldn't keep the ball. Fair play to Barrow and their approach but i don't think they have the players to play like that as in the final 3rd they didnt have a killer pass.

Probably should have finished them off earlier than we did 2nd half, lost count of the amount of times we won possession high up the field yet the final ball or finish wasn't there. Promising signs for us as we should get better the more this group play together but we will have to improve if were serious about a top half finish, especially with the ball.

Will we see 1/2 new players coming in this week? think we need them despite the good start as Staunton didnt look good and then Sellars later on.

I find it interesting that everyone is saying that Barrow were better than us and we were slightly fortunate to be winning at HT, as the Barrow commentary team said at half time that we had a well deserved lead.

Apparently their manager was a 'Blackpool legend' in the words of a neutral friend of mine who came down last night. I was disappointed to hear his summary of our performance saying  we were awful and needed a decent midfielder. 

12 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

Sellars solid? First half he was woeful.

Who?....hint,hint;)

Thought both teams tried to overplay in the wrong areas at times, we certainly looked better being a little more direct - but there's nothing wrong with direct football. If we did ever go long it was a long pass mainly, rather than just an aimless smash up the field.

Barrow definitely tried to play neat football but even when it came off they rarely created a clear chance, their only shots coming from 20 yard plus. When it didn't come off they left themselves open to our attacks and a more clinical side would probably have put 4 or 5 past them.

12 hours ago, Che Bentos said:

Barrow looked sharper than us first half but seemed to run out of steam in the second. We looked bigger and fitter than them.

Anyone video the first goal? Not for the first time, I missed it as I was queueing for what seemed like an eternity at the burger bar. The poor lass behind the counter was serving by herself. Must bring a flask in future. 

Great win!

....Flea might help you with that one since you were at the game.....;)

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Scot said:

I’m sure the manager appreciated the goals as much as the crowd did ;)

i was in my car when the first goal went in so I didn’t go too mental ! 

It was actually at other times when he gave players roastings for poor positional discipline

17 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

It was actually at other times when he gave players roastings for poor positional discipline

Well let’s hope that continues if it means clean sheets ;)

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Greggs said:

Can label them the Arsenal of non league. Nice little triangles but they won bugger all :lol:

All I saw was tippy tappy footy with nice little flicks and triangles all over the pitch from them.

But the object of the game is to score chuffin goals and they never looked like doing that apart from when one of their players swung his foot at the ball and hit the bar.

Wish we could play them every week....

Highlights are here http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/match-info/match-centre/1-3613743

Edited by woody
added txt
1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Sam McCloud?.....passed away several years ago......