Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fullarton Out!

111 posts in this topic

Just now, AFC Halifax said:

Comparing the team after the last pre season last year to this year, I would say last years team looked better, let's not forget a lot of that team had played the previous season together and were buoyed by a promotion season. I have put £25 e/w on us this season, more out of blind loyalty than ex9ectation. I would expect this team to fine in somewhere between 10th and 17th? 

Interesting. 

My gut has us around 14th, which is pretty much what you have. 

Going on the odds given from the bookies they seem to think 17th is our expected spot, but I feel we can get better than that.

You must admit though, it is concerning that cohesion and player number wise we don't seem to have improved since the Stockport game. I get that with switching to a FT set up its massive changed and finances are stretched that bit more, but at the same time, there doesn't seem to be a "pay off" where the players we have look sharper, fitter or stronger than their counterparts that play lower down the football pyramid. 

I'm also interested to know if we do have some aces up our sleeves regarding players that are not yet public, as it was pointed out that the team had to have 16 players registered last week. We have either failed that and paid a fine (something I think Bossomworth would go to all possible ends to avoid), listed a couple of kids/youth players to get the numbers  up (as of which I assume they will have squad numbers now), or we have a few players who are now officially Town players that haven't been made public. 

Just a vibe which I have not had for many years but sure your bezzy friend Mr B will fill you in if you ask him.

I have only seen 3 pre season games and one of those was Brighouse Town which was a little one sided once Brighouse changed it round at half time. The Port Vale game which I thought we actually did ok in the second half, and today which I agree wasn't very good and probably the only positives were another goal for Southwell and 90 minutes for Brown.  I am not convinced about the 16 player registration 2 weeks before the season either. 

Edited by AFC Halifax

16 minutes ago, dj funky said:

Just a vibe which I have not had for many years but sure your bezzy friend Mr B will fill you in if you ask him.

What will be interesting is to see if come late Nov/Dec we find ourselves at the foot of the table, will Mr B invest personal money to try right the wrong, or will he be happy to try ride it out.

At the same time, if come the end of December and we are actually pushing for the title, or a strong spot in the playoffs, again, would he see it prudent to give the manager a bit extra to play with to bring in an extra body or two that could help.

We all should be wanting this club to be self sufficient, but if we are facing a situation where for whatever reason we are lacking, will the owners simply do nothing and say "Thats your lot", or would they invest personally to improve it? I fear it would be the first rather than the latter. 

1 minute ago, Flea said:

What will be interesting is to see if come late Nov/Dec we find ourselves at the foot of the table, will Mr B invest personal money to try right the wrong, or will he be happy to try ride it out.

At the same time, if come the end of December and we are actually pushing for the title, or a strong spot in the playoffs, again, would he see it prudent to give the manager a bit extra to play with to bring in an extra body or two that could help.

We all should be wanting this club to be self sufficient, but if we are facing a situation where for whatever reason we are lacking, will the owners simply do nothing and say "Thats your lot", or would they invest personally to improve it? I fear it would be the first rather than the latter. 

I think they proved last season if a decision is to be made they will make it. Sacking Heath and bringing in new players will have cost money and I wouldn't be surpised if some of it came from directors pockets 

I haven't got the figgiest about this years squad but last years was never good enough for this league and punched above its weight to even stay within a chance of surviving

1 hour ago, awaydays said:

I’m not sure which game you listen to today on your wireless but Boston dominated the game up until the point of making about 6 subs and being 2 goals up (midway through the 2nd half).

We only got one back because they gave 25 minutes to their under 11’s goalkeeper. 

We had a good five minutes after getting a goal back but, 3-1 was a more likely result than 2-2 even against their weaker team.

It’s not about patience, it’s an ability to recognise when something is clearly not right. 

You should try and come and watch a game, you may have a different point of view  watching a game for real.

I came down for the Boreham Wood game last season and will be down again this season at some point.

If your answer at this stage i.e. before a ball is kicked in anger , is to sack the manager then there is clearly no reasoning with you

I can only go by the commentary I listen to which was online through the website ....but to suggest that Fullarton should lose his job , in my opinion is embarrassing but hey, you're entitled to your opinion  ;)

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Wilder Bollox said:

I haven't got the figgiest about this years squad but last years was never good enough for this league and punched above its weight to even stay within a chance of surviving

Fact. 

Did punch above its weight but did have some team spirit because that's why Town Reserves have followed their mentor to Alfreton.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Scot said:

I came down for the Boreham Wood game last season and will be down again this season at some point.

If your answer at this stage i.e. before a ball is kicked in anger , is to sack the manager then there is clearly no reasoning with you

I can only go by the commentary I listen to which was online through the website ....but to suggest that Fullarton should lose his job , in my opinion is embarrassing but hey, you're entitled to your opinion  ;)

Don't worry, the usual suspects will be hovering around the dugout at the first home game

1 minute ago, dj funky said:

Did punch above its weight but did have some team spirit because that's why Town Reserves have followed their mentor to Alfreton.

You'll be getting Trevor moist

4 hours ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

I would be happy with a point at Braintree followed by two wins at home. Can’t wait for this promotion season. Stop with all this doom and gloom!

I will build a statue of Jamie Fullarton higher than Wainhouse Tower if we win the league. Absolutely no chance. Let's see where we are next season. Probably back part time again.

Seven games in 23 days which I would settle for 12 points because a bad start would be  hard to catch up when your back to 4/5 games a month.

4 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I will build a statue of Jamie Fullarton higher than Wainhouse Tower if we win the league. Absolutely no chance. Let's see where we are next season. Probably back part time again.

Fed up of these empty promises. Can't we just see your arse on Beacon Hill?

1 person likes this

Just now, Shaymen1984 said:

Fed up of these empty promises. Can't we just see your arse on Beacon Hill?

No that was Trevs broken promise. 

1 hour ago, dj funky said:

Sorry Scot but the fans who went have a right to voice there reaction to the game.Something wrong at the club and hard to know what's going because our fans so far have believed that JF was the man but I for one feel that the signings and players being played out of position will lead to a bad start.Before anybody calls me a clown I just hope I am wrong and Jf comes up with the goods quick.

Absolutely they do but to say they want the manager sacked before the season starts? I think that's absolutely mental ...and surely I'm entitled to voice my reaction to that too

Listen , maybe JF will chuck it this week and some folk will be delighted?  ....anything can happen in football

Personally , I'd say I'm amazed at the overreaction? But actually I'm not

There was a curry night and a breakfast coming up...If folk think there is 'something wrong' as you say then get down there and ask JF and the club..or at least share your views ;)

I for one did not say I wanted the manager sacked and your right it would be mental but its been dismal so far and don't think a egg and bacon butty and a chicken tikka will sort it out.

1 person likes this

There’s not been enough shown collectively for me by the team to be confident going into the season. Based on what I’m looking at on the pitch, our recruitment has been dreadful and considering we are now full time, I’m seeing no sign of value from the extra investment. 

Due to this debacle of a close season/pre-season, it feels like JF will be kicking off next week as the equivalent of  a manager who’s already lost five league games in the bounce.

Really hope we’re in for a pleasant surprise this season, but if things go wrong, I’ve got a feeling it will go disastrously wrong very quickly. The silver lining being we can rescue the season. Unbelievable that I’m thinking like this before I’ve even picked up my season ticket.

This is the thing that has puzzled me since it was announced that the club has gone full time.

Most teams in this league are full time apparently so by staying part time we get the chance to sign the players that don't want/can't commit to full time football on wages that are appealing to them and within the budget set by the board that doesn't rock the stability of the club.

By going full time we have to compete with more teams locally and nationally for a players signature, clubs that are bankrolled ie Salford, clubs that have a larger fanbase than us ie Chesterfield that can offer far more than we can afford. The board presumably have released some funds for the manager to go after targets and the rest of the added costs are to be met by the supporters.

IMO, this has meant the calibre of players we have been able to sign is overall below the standard needed. Yes we may have found a couple of good players but the overall quality of the squad seems to be poorer. We may be able to train more often and the players may be able to recouperate after injuries better but no matter how hard and long you train, players have a ceiling on how much they can improve at this level.

Whilst I would love to see us return to the football league I wonder whether we have done the right thing by going full time following a season where we narrowly avoided relegation and with a manager who has had a third of a season at best with us or whether it may have been more prudent to give JF a season to assemble a part time squad with a view to keeping the promising players and intergrating them into a full time squad a season later?

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Shaymen2008 said:

This is the thing that has puzzled me since it was announced that the club has gone full time.

Most teams in this league are full time apparently so by staying part time we get the chance to sign the players that don't want/can't commit to full time football on wages that are appealing to them and within the budget set by the board that doesn't rock the stability of the club.

By going full time we have to compete with more teams locally and nationally for a players signature, clubs that are bankrolled ie Salford, clubs that have a larger fanbase than us ie Chesterfield that can offer far more than we can afford. The board presumably have released some funds for the manager to go after targets and the rest of the added costs are to be met by the supporters.

IMO, this has meant the calibre of players we have been able to sign is overall below the standard needed. Yes we may have found a couple of good players but the overall quality of the squad seems to be poorer. We may be able to train more often and the players may be able to recouperate after injuries better but no matter how hard and long you train, players have a ceiling on how much they can improve at this level.

Whilst I would love to see us return to the football league I wonder whether we have done the right thing by going full time following a season where we narrowly avoided relegation and with a manager who has had a third of a season at best with us or whether it may have been more prudent to give JF a season to assemble a part time squad with a view to keeping the promising players and intergrating them into a full time squad a season later?

A very good post and it's a real quandary.

It's bound to be a slow start with all the trialists playing. It's been left too late to assemble a team. It seems the club is still part-time with most aspects of running a club. He's unsackable though, in his first season. So let's hope for the best. He comfortably got us out of the mire. With Billy Heaths players, and loan players admitedly. Pre-season is all about getting to assemble a team. So we shall see. My personal prediction is hope for survival.