Absolutely Choked

129 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Guido said:

our best chance would have been Erikson talking Shearer out of retiring. Who would you rather had up front Heskey & Owen or Shearer & Owen ? 

Obviously Shearer and Owen, but it's worth remembering that Sheringham was part of that squad still and his brains would have been better than battering ram Heskey.

2 hours ago, never_shay_die said:

I've watched it many times and I don't think Beckham hopped out of the challenge to avoid getting hurt. If you watch it I think he jumped over the slide tackle as he was expecting the ball to go out of play, which it would have done, but he didn't realise the other Brazilian player was there to nick it before it went out.  

That's how it always looked to me. He didn't back out of other challenges in that world cup so don't see this one being any different. 

Well, I've just watched it again, and I'm pretty sure he jumped to avoid being clattered. He had players coming at him from two directions. I watched it at the time without knowing a goal would come from it, and I wondered immediately as to why he jumped out of the way. Was he simply trying to let the ball go out of play. Here's how it looked, what do others think?  

2018-07-14.png

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, Shaymus said:

Lost to a Brazil side who only had ten men! English mentality - can't believe we're winning, so let's make sure we don't.Nothing's changed, only the personnel. 

Pretty sure they were already winning by then. They just shut up shop last half hour and parked the bus. They were very solid at the back that world cup. Owen's goal was the only one they conceded in the knockout rounds.

We were very unlucky to get Brazil in the quarters, and doubly so to get them in the heat. 

We did lack a Plan B, sure. So did Southgate on Wed. Seems to be a common failing among England bosses. 

Edited by Jumbo1

8 hours ago, Shaymus said:

Well, I've just watched it again, and I'm pretty sure he jumped to avoid being clattered. He had players coming at him from two directions. I watched it at the time without knowing a goal would come from it, and I wondered immediately as to why he jumped out of the way. Was he simply trying to let the ball go out of play. Here's how it looked, what do others think?  

2018-07-14.png

Context mate, the screenshot is misleading. The player whose foot is on the ball in that photo...Beckham didn't see him coming. If you watch the video his attention is on the other player who comes in with the slide tackle. He avoids the tackle to let the ball go out of play and it would have done...but for the intervention which he didn't know was coming. I genuinely don't believe he jumped out of the tackle. My opinion.