Absolutely Choked

129 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Shaymen Stats said:

Wrexham (in the 2014/15 QF) but the point stands ;)

The start unfortunately of the end of Lord Aspin's reign when he fielded at team of players like David Mellor. Where even is he these days!? 

Probably still wearing a Chelsea shirt and trying to s*ag actresses

2 people like this

I thought first half we created a lot of opportunities, yes they were not executed but on another day one of them would be then we go in at half time with a two goal cushion. I think it is harsh to say our players aren't good enough, this side will get better with time. In Southgate we have manager who recognizes talent that exists outside the top five clubs and isn't afraid to use that talent. We have a nucleus for a squad that is capable of matching or bettering this position in future competitions.

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, Greggs said:

And you believe that is going to happen again? 

Any thing's possible! 

If population differences make all the context of a win or loss, then maybe we could simply arrange friendlies against China, India and Indonesia each year and screech our handbrakes around Bull Green holding our horns down after each tonking we dole out.

3 people like this

Dress it up how you want. Simple fact is England ain’t good enough. Played not to win against Belgium for the easier side of the draw and still didn’t make the final

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Dress it up how you want. Simple fact is England ain’t good enough. Played not to win against Belgium for the easier side of the draw and still didn’t make the final

Exactly, second half was like watching a National North team who had just had a half time team team talk from Billy Heath.

8 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

Happy losing to a country with a population 14 times smaller than ours, not me. Blew it big time.

I don't get this argument. Where were Brazil and China with their huge populations?

1 person likes this

Again, plastic patriots slagging off England I'm afraid.

11 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

Saying they ain’t good enough isn’t really slagging them off is it? We didn’t get to the final thus we ain’t good enough 

1 person likes this

We had an inexperienced team but we also had an inexperienced manager. The second half was crying out for a tactical change to negate their wing play but it never came until it was too late.

Loved watching England in this world cup.  No negatives for me.  Didn't expect us to get to the semi final. Atmosphere in pubs all around Halifax was amazing and the country has been together as 1 for the first time in a long time. 

2 people like this

15 minutes ago, never_shay_die said:

I agree to a point but we did have more chances after the goal. Kane x2, Lingard, Stones. 

I can only repeat what I put on social media last night. 

This is not a team of superstars or 'world class' egos that we've had in years gone by who let us down at every single tournament. The Gerrards, Lampards, Rooneys who got hyped every year and blew it in every conceivable way.

It's a young team in transition made up of players who were playing L1, L2 or non league football a few years ago.  It's not their fault that they are the best players this country has to offer at the minute. Nobody gave them a hope yet, easy route or not, they got to a semi final on hard work, organisation, belief, trying to play football the right way, a good team spirit and a likeable manager who allowed the players to try to express themselves. 

All the negative people should gain some perspective. 

Perspective is this team of no hopers showing character with a last minute winner vs Tunisia.

Perspective is this team of no hopers smashing 6 goals past a team which previous England teams would have laboured to an unconvincing win over.

Perspective is this team of no hopers ending the penalty hoodoo vs Columbia and giving the country an amazing night.

Perspective is this team of no hopers comfortably winning the biggest game of their life (at the time) vs Sweden.

Perspective is seeing this team of no hopers battle their way to a narrow extra time defeat to a good team (not a great team admittedly) that boasts 2 or 3 genuine world class players and smashed Argentina.

But for Kane's poor finishing, they could be in a final. 

Perspective is acknowledging that this young, inexperienced England team have done everything which could have been expected of them and more, given this country a hell of a ride and can come home with their heads held high.

This team of no hopers ensured the country genuinely enjoyed watching England in a tournament for the first time  in 14 years and can come back home knowing that they have grown as players for the experience.

If a Centre Half and Centre Midfielder of genuine quality come through the ranks in the next couple of years then this young team could be something special in a few years. But as it is, they did us proud. 

well said, the people knocking the teams achievement really need to shake their heads, weve done brilliantly and got to the WORLD cup semi final! It is coming home, but its just playing out a bit more! just til the street lights come on! Please. 

1 person likes this

It showed what we lacked which is a big game player 

Kane, Ali, Henderson etc go missing when the game get tough 

we got as far as we did because we did not play Germany Spain france brasil Portugal 

we played two decent sides Croatia and Belgium and list them both 

we go to the semis by beating Colombia just and Sweden 

this hardly makes us a good side 

not being negative just honest we don’t possess a world class player 

nick 

Thought we`d get over-run in midfield and so it proved. No-one to put their foot on the ball, look up and pick a pass.

Can`t knock anyone for lack of effort, but Lingard isn`t international class, neither is Henderson, and if you`re going to play Kane as a No.10 you may as well have Vardy instead of Sterling as he`s as quick but has a vague idea of where the net is. It was probably the only game that Vardy could have justified a shirt in, as our build up in other games was so slow he was a waste of time. 

The basis of a better than average side is there, but without someone to pull the strings in midfield better sides will suss us out as Croatia did.

12 hours ago, johngrantsnumber1 said:

Neither did Belgium for that matter. I honestly don't think we would of done any better against France than Belgium did in the semis. Be interesting to see what happens Saturday when both countries but out their best teams rather than the dead game in the group stages.

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, Shaymen2008 said:

Neither did Belgium for that matter. I honestly don't think we would of done any better against France than Belgium did in the semis. Be interesting to see what happens Saturday when both countries but out their best teams rather than the dead game in the group stages.

I doubt either country will play their best team as it will be seen as another chance for the squad players, its madness that this game is even taking place as neither team will care about it and needs removing from future competitions.

Edited by greygoose
3 people like this

I am obviously gutted that we lost. 

There are some definite signs of optimism for the future with this squad and the youth teams coming through. I will stick my neck out and say that England will win the World Cup in 8 years time.

On the current squad, I think Alli needs a rest. Sterling had a great first half but we need another goal scorer up front with Kane to take a bit of pressure off him. Apart from that I'm more than happy with this team, especially the centre halves. I do hope that a new holding midfielder comes through to put pressure on Henderson but we are getting closer.

A definite improvement from the diabolical Hodgson reign and finally the back of the so called golden generation who achieved absolutely nothing 

The system works to an extent, but you need 'quality' players that are used to the system and know their roles . I'm not sure that the English leagues provide that environment, Croatia were able to unlock our system far too easily

must admit i was surprised Southgate did nothing to counter their wingers in the second half. that lost us the match in my opinion. 

9 hours ago, Pliny Harris said:

You can crawl back into your hole now England are out of the World Cup with the rest of the plastic patriots. Go back to your main pastime of slagging off anyone who shows an ounce of patriotism, Jeremy could be in number 10 soon, you'll love that.

10 hours ago, Bubba said:

I don't get this argument. Where were Brazil and China with their huge populations?

Quite simple really, I can understand the pipsqueak mocking this as a factor (one of many) but I thought you had more sense, what price Faroe Islands or San Marino next time around. 

Might not get such an easy route through like that again but might not need it in 4/8 years time when the Foden's and Sancho's come good. Future looks good anyway with recent success, Southgate helped start it hopefully he'll be there when we win it.