Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

George Mulhall.

109 posts in this topic

One of the few managers in our lifetime that actually managed to connect with Halifax

RIP

3 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

One of the few managers in our lifetime that actually managed to connect with Halifax

RIP

He did say at one point, "Halifax Town is not for me!" (September 1974). 

24 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

He did say at one point, "Halifax Town is not for me!" (September 1974). 

I have said the same thing repeatedly while leaving The Shay since the 60's.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Shaymus said:

Some of us were only discussing George the other week on another forum. Yes, great manager, and someone who played a massive part at the club twice over. When Town escaped relegation in 1972-73 by winning up their last four matches ( and never to be forgotten last day victory at Walsall) he said at the time that that was his greatest achievement in football. At that from a man who had won a League championship medal in Scotland with Aberdeen, won three Scotland caps (lining up with the likes of Dave Mackay, Ian St John and Denis Law, and promotion to the First Division with Sunderland. That achievement may have been surpassed by what the 1997-98 Conference team did, cantering to the title having just about avoided the drop the previous term. I had the pleasure of being in his company several times, most memorably when I played in Tommy Gildert's testimonial and George was our manager. I listened intently to his team talk; he spoke about the wing-backs getting down the flanks, about Geoff Horsfield holding things up, and we Jamie Paterson having a free role! We were only playing TV stars! I got my twenty minutes, scored my goal (have you heard) then sat behind George throughout the second half. He even tried to get me back on, but I'd got dressed by then. When I wrote the Complete Record book, Jack Haymer put me onto George to write the forward; I nervously rang George, who was happy to to put his name to whatever I wrote! I promised to get a copy to him, and duly drove up to his house with said tome and expected nothing more than to hand it over on the doorstep. Nothing of the sort; his wife Elizabeth invited me in and we sat chatting over tea and biscuits for over an hour. All the time I kept looking at George, whose memory was fading, thinking this bloke sat feet from me is a true legend, but doesn't realise it. It's truly a sad day, and though George hadn't been well for some time (and I used to see him wandering around Rastrick aimlessly occasionally) his passing is no less hard to bear for that.

George's association with Halifax Town began in October 1971, invited as coach by Ray Henderson (a much lamented manager but who, at least, did leave a legacy in George), and here he is on his first day, 18 October 1971.      

1971-72 Mulhall arrives as coach 18 Oct 1971.jpg

George probably wondering where the hell this is!

1 hour ago, dj funky said:

Really sad news from a lovely man and a great manager who in the 97/98 season would always find time to have a chat with you.wanted to sing Strangers In The Night at the awards night but did manage a few lines.Time for The George Mulhall Stand I reckon.RIP and thanks for that wonderful season.

DJ what a great idea, although for my money it should the Sir George   Mullhall Stand

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

the best response would be the first home game next season with as many of the conference winning squad invited to attend and a minutes applause would be a good sendoff. Always loved his quote of the fat lady clearing her throat in response to pottentialy winning the league, rather than lame take it one game at a time, focus only on the next match sterile quote you get these days . RIP with the many shaymen up there. You brought me a season to remember that won't be forgotten.

Edited by choppiebinkie
3 people like this

Commiserations to all Shaymen and Shaywomen on the sad news of George's death. There aren't many like him still around. 

They don’t make them like George anymore. So glad I was able to experience his brilliance as a manager. Such a professional , such a magician.

The winds that blew in 97/98 were unique a great manager, a blend of players with great skills and ability that just knitted together so well. The success of FC Halifax has been good, but nothing will compare to that team led by an outstanding manager.

RIP George and thanks for the memories.

2 people like this

Sad sad news. R I P George  & thanks for the  memories you have leftus shaymen from  1997-8 what a season that just seams like yesterday.

R.I.P George

The greatest manager to ever manager the shaymen

R.I.P. George, probably gave us the best season ever at the Shay, the man is a Town legend. The club should give him a tangible remembrance.

1 person likes this

The least bloody rubbish of them all. What a hero. Happy that it all happened in the first place and look forward to that magic dust falling upon this town once again someday. Thanks George.

2 people like this

A game at Walsall exactly 45 years ago tomorrow gave George his proudest moment up to that point.

1 person likes this

Sad news. R I P George.  1997-8 was a wonderful time, thank you for memories from a family who appreciated your personal touch.

Ta for the memories George - 97-98  was so good. RIP 

Condolences to family and friends. R.I.P. George a true legend.

Mulhall scuppered the chances of George Best, Bobby Charlton and co. with that beauty of a header?
There's a lovely pattern in there somewhere.