Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Retained List

293 posts in this topic

Surprised nobody has started this thread yet so I'll get the ball rolling. Personally, there isn't too many I'd keep and there is a few I'm still on the fence with even now!

I'd retain:

Johnson
Duckworth
Brown
Maher
Macca (Although it sounds like he's leaving anyway)
Wilde
Collins (He won't stay though if we go full time)
Kossy (Might get snapped up elsewhere)
MacDonald (Same as Kossy)

I'd release:

Nicholson
Moyo (Improved but still not sure he's at the level we want to be)
Garner (Awesome last season, poor this season)
Oliver
Thomson
Clarke (Same as Moyo)
Denton (Clearly not in Fullartons plans so no point keeping him)

The ones I'm on the fence with are:

Riley (I'd invite him back to pre-season to prove his fitness)
Hotte (If we stay part time, I'd keep him because of his versatility. If we go full time, possibly look elsewhere)
Hibbs (Clearly got potential but hasn't had a good run of games in a long time)
Tomlinson (Under Heath, I would have definitely said get rid. Under Fullarton, I'm 50/50. Possibly the same for him as Hotte)

Regarding the loanees:

Graham (Would love him back but think he's destined for bigger things next season)
Hanson (Doubt we'll see him anytime soon)
Hanley (Showed glimpses but again, I doubt we'll see him again)
Tuton (Same as Hanson)
MFT (Make it permanent. Although, I've already been told it has been)

Johnson 

Wilde 

Brown 

Collins 

Kosylo 

Mahier 

Garner (contracted) 

Hibbs (cntracted?) 

Josh Mac 

Already contracted

Brown

Hibbs

Garner

Maher

Johnson

Kosylo (Option)

Definates

MacDonald

Wilde

Collins

Possibles

Tomlinson

Release

Moyo

Denton

Hotte

Duckworth

Riley

Macca

Clarke

Nicholson

Oliver

Sneaky Bids

MFT

Sam Graham - 12 month loan

7 minutes ago, shaymenRup said:

Already contracted

Brown

Hibbs

Garner

Maher

Johnson

Kosylo (Option)

Definates

MacDonald

Wilde

Collins

Possibles

Tomlinson

Release

Moyo

Denton

Hotte

Duckworth

Riley

Macca

Clarke

Nicholson

Oliver

Sneaky Bids

MFT

Sam Graham - 12 month loan

Hotte. Duckworth I'd hope to keep. Especially Duckworth. Riley might even be worth an invite back to prove his fitness. 

sadly they should all go, simply not good enough for a promotion pushing side. 

From what I have seen of this division the difference in the quality of players barring one or two is not that great, one of our problems is our squad is physically on the small side & to be fair to Fullerton he has dealt with this & injuries quite well. It will be an interesting retained list if nothing else.

Keep -

Johnson, Brown, Wilde, Collins, MacDonald, Maher, Kosylo

Invite back -

Hibbs, Tomlinson

Release -

Nicholson, Garner, Moyo, Oliver, Riley, Duckworth, Hotte, Clarke, Denton 

Macca looks to be gone through his own choice, but would have been a keep for me had he been able to stay. I've excluded all the loan players from my picks as they aren't our players so not considering them. If I was the only one (Other than Graham who is way too good) that I'd invite back would be Hanley, but it would be an invite to earn a contract in Pre-season, not a straight deal. 

I'm a fan of Hibbs, but feel he is at "make or break" time with us now. He either kicks on and nails a regular starting place for us or needs to move on. Tomlinson has had, for me a very poor season, up to Heath going, but since then looks to be a completely different player. Had he played like that all season then he would be in the keep pile. If under Fullerton he could remain as consistent as he has since he came in then he would play himself into a contract for me. 

Of the release list, pretty much every single one of them have been of use at times for us in the past few years, apart from Riley, but are probably not what we need going forward. We need new players in so some need to make way and those are the players I'd release to help make that happen. Garner was superb the season before last and I don't feel he has had an awful season this year, however seems to be out of favour so it feels logical he has to move on for both parties now. Duckworth, again without being dreadful, hasn't been great either - an average player whom I would hope we could improve on. The only "bad" lot from that lot to me is Riley. A complete and utter waste of money this season, doesn't look interested and not someone who is committed enough for us or to the game. Our worst player of the season by a country mile. What I will say for the likes of  Moyo, Clarke and Oliver is that I can not knock their effort, the way they made themselves available and their professionalism, even if at times it felt they were slightly not at the grade needed. They have given their all and been there when we needed them so I respect that a lot. 

I thought Garner was injured rather than out of favour (and extended his contract)  ? I do feel that the Brown / Garner pairing is problematic as both are similar style of players and both have the mobility of 'table footballers' (hence teams finding they could ghost straight between them)

9 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

On what basis are Duckworth and Riley not good enough????? Riley we'e barely seen and Duckworth has looked as good as anyone else if not better when he's played

9 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

That's a cheery post to wake up to on a Monday morning!

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

I think we do have some that are worth keeping. They’ve show, in patches, that they have what it takes to compete in this league. This team was 1st in the league for a very brief period this season. As others have said, there are 6 or 7 who I’d have back next season but there are a lot of players who need to move on. With the right additions we could have a successful season, the effect good players can have on those around them can be great, pulling them up to their own level.

this is just my opinion, however id be interested to know what makes you all think players that could barely get past relegation are good enough for a promotion push! 

oh and for what its worth I think Duckworth is crap, couldnt find a pass if his life depended on it! 

25 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

this is just my opinion, however id be interested to know what makes you all think players that could barely get past relegation are good enough for a promotion push! 

Look at the 96/97 and 97/98 squads. Some stayed on and were integral parts of a promotion winning team. Shows it can be done

11 minutes ago, SteveM said:

Look at the 96/97 and 97/98 squads. Some stayed on and were integral parts of a promotion winning team. Shows it can be done

Some even pushed for a promotion place the following season in the 3rd division too, we were reyt up there until albeit we did fade badly, but the likes of Jon Brown spring to mind. 

1 hour ago, chrisbo61 said:

How long have you been watching Town or even interested in past records?

1 hour ago, chrisbo61 said:

oh and for what its worth I think Duckworth is crap, couldnt find a pass if his life depended on it! 

also very injury prone........

Problem with Jack and Mavis is their sicklist record, can we afford a squad of injured players ?

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Nononsense said:

How long have you been watching Town or even interested in past records?

whats the past got to do with it? 

Macca's goodbye is little muted, would have thought he deserved a little more of a send off. Possibly his choice, made my Wembley trip memorable, good luck for the future wherever you land.

12 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

Could make a case either way for the majority out of contract,no-one stands out as must keep.Can't keep Fondant Tallop and Tomlinson as a pair and if it's supplemented with Connor Thompson god help us.

Not a cheap or easy option but we need to find a Phenix or Rowe type CF to hold the ball & bring other players into stacks.

Only Keep Jonhson, Brown, Collins. Kosy and Josh for me.

Others will stay because they are contracted for next year, and we're stuck with them. 

IMO that means then bringing in men to cover most positions.

We need consistency and for me the above were the only ones that showed it the most last season.

I know he's not our player anymore but I find it an interesting take from this Wrexham fan. A team who were hoping for a real crack at promotion this year. 

image.jpg

3 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

Half the team of 1996-97 were!

1 person likes this