Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Player of the season

52 posts in this topic

I see the SC will be tallying up the votes at Saturday's game before the awards do after, do we may as well get the debate (or whatever approximates debate on here) going. Who are you thinking of choosing?

Won't do a poll as it'd be interesting to see how open it gets. Nevertheless, any mention of Morgan gets a wedgie.

To me I'm caught between five options. Brown has been the consistent face at the back and has often made up for others, showing huge desire despite jumping back onto the physio's table last week. Wilde has been there constantly, doing good work on maximum effort with a talent for reading the game. Collins has only been here for the second half of the season, and though his arrival didn't coincide with any improvement in results he's been the consummate professional and a Haligonian to boot. Kosylo has got such bottle and unique offerings at this level that many were convinced he was joining a Championship side, and without nearly as many games this season as we'd all like he's contributed with goals all the way. Then Johnson, despite letting in a fair few this season, has also plenty of clean sheets to his name considering our position in the league, which have come from some of the best saves we've witnessed since reforming.

27 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

I see the SC will be tallying up the votes at Saturday's game before the awards do after, do we may as well get the debate (or whatever approximates debate on here) going. Who are you thinking of choosing?

Won't do a poll as it'd be interesting to see how open it gets. Nevertheless, any mention of Morgan gets a wedgie.

To me I'm caught between five options. Brown has been the consistent face at the back and has often made up for others, showing huge desire despite jumping back onto the physio's table last week. Wilde has been there constantly, doing good work on maximum effort with a talent for reading the game. Collins has only been here for the second half of the season, and though his arrival didn't coincide with any improvement in results he's been the consummate professional and a Haligonian to boot. Kosylo has got such bottle and unique offerings at this level that many were convinced he was joining a Championship side, and without nearly as many games this season as we'd all like he's contributed with goals all the way. Then Johnson, despite letting in a fair few this season, has also plenty of clean sheets to his name considering our position in the league, which have come from some of the best saves we've witnessed since reforming.

Cant argue with any of the above. Brown been immense this season, along with most of our back line inc Big Sam. Collins has shown how well he reads the game but probably not been here long enough to come into player of the season. 

Close one between Brown and Collins for me. Brown has been our best defender this season and has been very consistent. Proper leader and the sort of player we needed to drag us through this season.

However, without Collins I’m in no doubt we’d still be in a relegation battle. Far far too good for this league and really saved us in heath’s bad run. I’ve genuinely never seen him make a mistake and he always seems to pick the right option. Also a great leader as well as being our best passer in the team. The non league Carrick. 

Brown just gets my vote due to his contribution towards the club throughout the last 3 years and his outstanding performances this season. A great leader and listening to interviews, the players seem to really respect him and are in no doubt he’s the one and only captain. Long may his service to the club continue 

3 people like this

Matty Brown for me he’s been very consistent in defence and played probably more games than the likes of Matty Kosylo who spent a fare chunk of the season out injured.Collins has been really good but it should go to a player who has played all season not half a season.

I'm probably voting Sam Johnson but do think Josh MacDonald deserves a mention. Played nearly as many games as Kosylo and his unselfish play as arguably contributed just as much. Been consistent like Brown & Wilde and has had his most prolific season yet ;) 

1 minute ago, sumbody said:

I'm probably voting Sam Johnson but do think Josh MacDonald deserves a mention. Played nearly as many games as Kosylo and his unselfish play as arguably contributed just as much. Been consistent like Brown & Wilde and has had his most prolific season yet ;) 

Certainly most improved player

Sam johnson. Kept us in the game so many times. Odd mistake like every keeper makes but brilliang 95% of the season 

I’d say Johnson, but it’s a tough call between him and Brown. He’s made a few mistakes, but so does every player. It’s just that keepers’ mistakes tend to be more obvious and punished more. The amount of times he’s kept us in games and won us points, without him we might well have been relegated.

I’m struggling to see why people would vote Johnson. This season he hasn’t been that good. Done a few good saves and kept us in games but had made so many terrible mistakes. Not just the odd one. Kicking is appalling and very slow. 

Collins, Brown or Wilde for me most consistent, never really a mistake and that’s why they should get it but I’d have to go with Captain, Leader and the most desirable player That’s Matty Brown!!! Class act

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, Shaymen2008 said:

suprised no one has mentioned Denton yet

hopefully that wasn't designed as incendiary but for a player with limitations he has been 100% effort

33 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

I’m struggling to see why people would vote Johnson. This season he hasn’t been that good. Done a few good saves and kept us in games but had made so many terrible mistakes. Not just the odd one. Kicking is appalling and very slow. 

He has on several occasions this season won us points with some superb saves. As he still has years on his side I do feel he is one for the future for us. With that said, I agree that overall this season the consistancy hasn’t been there and he has had a few shockers. Got beat a few too many times at his near post and as you say his kicking and speed need to improve. 

He’d probably be in my top 3 (Collins in at 2), but for me Brown has been the kind of leader we have needed, consistantly delivered and worn the shirt with the pride and passion I would expect.

Kossy and Mcdonald have also had good seasons but have missed too much of it through injury and non selection to be considered for me. 

If only we had some sort of Viking Index to help us decide! 

I think Matty Brown and Sam johnson have both had great seasons overall with two or three poor performances thrown in. Hard to pick between the two of them, but I'd give it to Sam Johnson.

1 person likes this

Just now, eddies mate said:

Truth is no-one has done enough to deserve it.

Not seen many games this season so hard to say, but tempted to agree with this! Feels like Collins has been brilliant however perhaps hasn't been around long enough to warrant it. Johnson makes too many errors in my book to get it, Kosylo is a bit hit and miss though has to be a candidate. Other candidate would be Brown as others have suggested which is probably fair enough. Can't think of anyone else that should be in the running if I'm honest. What about Hobbs?

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, greg45 said:

Not seen many games this season so hard to say, but tempted to agree with this! Feels like Collins has been brilliant however perhaps hasn't been around long enough to warrant it. Johnson makes too many errors in my book to get it, Kosylo is a bit hit and miss though has to be a candidate. Other candidate would be Brown as others have suggested which is probably fair enough. Can't think of anyone else that should be in the running if I'm honest. What about Hobbs?

I've seen every game and your assessment above is spot on.As for Hibbs, frozen out too long and despite an excellent start lacked consistency.Expect big things from him next year under Fullarton's tutilidge.

2 people like this

It's got to be Brown for me. A rock in defence and a good captain.

2nd place Kosylo, Collins in 3rd.

Browny for me had his best season for the club been injury free all season untill recently great leader. If Collins would of been here from start he'd of got my vote as he's been class since arriving 

The top 5 are Brown Collins Johnson Kosylo Wilde. I think I'm right in saying that most of those are contracted for next season,  the major doubt being Kosylo. If we can tie Kossy down to a new deal and any of the others that aren't contracted then that's nearly half your starting line up sorted.

Bodes well for next season.

1 hour ago, eddies mate said:

Truth is no-one has done enough to deserve it.

I'd agree and i think it says it all when Collins is being touted for it, he didn't even sign until mid December. Brown has done well overall but he himself has had a few shockers in the bad run when he and Garner were making a few howlers between them.

Even thought he's been in and out through injury i still think Kosylo would get my vote just because he's had a few match winning performances despite his troubles.

14 hours ago, vinnyweknuts said:

hopefully that wasn't designed as incendiary but for a player with limitations he has been 100% effort

No it wasn't intended to reopen old wounds but quite simply as leading goalscorer he has contributed towards our points haul and safety. He is not a favorite player of mine but there is no denying his contribution this season.