Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Michael Collins

26 posts in this topic

A question, Is he the best midfielder we have seen in a Town shirt since the old club went tits up? 

2 people like this

Certainly one of them mate. He was all over the pitch tonigh, bundle of pace, energy, passion and skill. He’s got the lot he’s also a leader too. 

A credit to watch he really is! Maynard on his day was good but I think he tops it

Was immense tonight but Gardner shades it , just 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, TJAshton said:

Certainly one of them mate. He was all over the pitch tonigh, bundle of pace, energy, passion and skill. He’s got the lot he’s also a leader too. 

A credit to watch he really is! Maynard on his day was good but I think he tops it

In my opinion Collins is by far the best we have had. 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, AFC Halifax said:

In my opinion Collins is by far the best we have had. 

That’s what I meant to say by tops it, collins has everything just wish he would score one day as he deserves a goal! 

6 minutes ago, AFC Halifax said:

A question, Is he the best midfielder we have seen in a Town shirt since the old club went tits up? 

I think so too. Followed by Gardner. But they are two entirely different players. 

Excellent second half from him, really grabbed the mantle and took the game to them

mention for Macca having his best game for a long time

Mikes a class act, always has been. Superb attitude to boot too

Just now, Ash said:

Mikes a class act, always has been. Superb attitude to boot too

He commented on Twitter about Michael Carrick retiring, very similar on playing style and we are lucky to have him. 

Not seen him misplace a pass or fine the ball away yet and is always in the right place at the right time ! The perfect town midfield. , collins Gardner Hume and ORegan 

39 minutes ago, AFC Halifax said:

Not after the first half today he was shocking. Made up for it 2nd half.

5 minutes ago, shaymenRup said:

5 minutes ago, shaymenRup said:

Are you for real fella? Shocking in what way.....

6 minutes ago, shaymenRup said:

Shocking ?? Oh my 

He's much better than National League amazed no league clubs are chasing him. Quality player.

15 minutes ago, shaymenRup said:

He wasn’t shocking he was our best player even in the 1st half 

2 people like this

I genuinely think he's that good that we'd have been relegated without him. He protects our defence so well and even tends to start counter attacks. Superb player

Nobody notice Hanley? 

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Shaytrev said:

Nobody notice Hanley? 

Covered in my half time analysis

8 hours ago, Shergar4 said:

Are you for real fella? Shocking in what way.....

Midfield spent too much time in defence. Left a big hole which Dagenham continually exploited in the first half. For their goal he was on the back defensive line with Hotte.

Throughout the first half midfield was too deep meaning long balls launched forward didnt go anywhere.

2nd half midfield pushed further forward and Collins was a lot better as was Hotte. Also gave Kossy extra support by playing a hgher line. I dont think anyone could say we played in anyway well in the first half.

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, shaymenRup said:

Midfield spent too much time in defence. Left a big hole which Dagenham continually exploited in the first half. For their goal he was on the back defensive line with Hotte.

Throughout the first half midfield was too deep meaning long balls launched forward didnt go anywhere.

2nd half midfield pushed further forward and Collins was a lot better as was Hotte. Also gave Kossy extra support by playing a hgher line. I dont think anyone could say we played in anyway well in the first half.

How do you know that Fullarton didn’t tell him to play deep as a defensive 2 protecting the back 4 so the 3-1 in front have the licence to attack rather than defend too deep as they did under Heath, for example wingers under Heath played too deep but didn’t last night. 

Collins a top signing good eye for a pass and reads the game well plus a good organiser on the field. All the team put in a decent shift last night Duckworth and  Hanley the pick for me.

2 minutes ago, chadders said:

Collins a top signing good eye for a pass and reads the game well plus a good organiser on the field. All the team put in a decent shift last night Duckworth and  Hanley the pick for me.

Hanley was impressive if looking a little raw at times. My point is players like Collins playing in a disciplined defensive role allows players like Hanley to focus on the offensive side of the game and not worry as much defensively. 

Mcdonald under Heath did a lot of defensive work probably to the detriment of himself but to help the team by following the managers instructions. 

It's a tough question, because I have very little idea of how much of midfield play is down to technical, physical skill- what you can do with the ball at your feet, dribbling, passing, shooting, crossing- or mental intelligence, positioning, awareness, concentration and coordination with the rest of the team. The best centre-midfielders work in pairs. In 2006 we had Martin Foster and Tyrone Thompson most of the time, with Thompson allocated the defensive role- the fabled Claude Makelele role- whilst Martin Foster played more attacking. Steve Bushell meanwhile waited in the wings to do either role when needed. They worked brilliantly together.

Dan Gardner was a risk taker and a showman, a true delight to watch. The reason why he did the incredible things was because he wanted to, not because he was considering whether it was the right or thoughtful thing to do. At least he had enough ability for it to work out enough of the time. Then we had Pearson and Maynard who were an unconventional pairing designed to work like a direct battering ram rather than unpicking the opposition with intricate 360 degree passing play. 

It's something that I've been wondering about Jake Hibbs, because we can see how he's a mean tackler, a voracious worker off the ball, and can take good free kicks and other set pieces, yet he's not quite making the right decisions on the ball, getting caught in possession and playing wayward passes. He's capable enough to take the risks and try the unexpected, but his assessment of when to do it needs some tuning. i reckon some day it will click with him and he'll be an exceptional midfielder too.