Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Notts County

22 posts in this topic

I see that Notts County have shown us just how many supporters you gain by reducing prices. Had over 17000 with their special offer then under 4000 for their next game and on Saturday on the brink of automatic promotion just over 5500. That is less than they had for the last home game before the offer. Only way they would have kept the extra 11000 would be to lock them in.

5 minutes ago, bolt45 said:

I see that Notts County have shown us just how many supporters you gain by reducing prices. Had over 17000 with their special offer then under 4000 for their next game and on Saturday on the brink of automatic promotion just over 5500. That is less than they had for the last home game before the offer. Only way they would have kept the extra 11000 would be to lock them in.

What's your point though? Are you saying we'd get thousands flocking down to the shay to watch a relegation battle in the conference if we knocked a few quid off the price? 

Edited by never_shay_die

Just now, never_shay_die said:

What's your point though? Are you saying we'd get thousands flocking down to the shay to watch a relegation battle in the conference if we knocked a few quid off the price? 

in his dreams! 

Just now, never_shay_die said:

No. I am saying the opposite. When this was announced a few on here thought it would be a good idea for us to try something along these lines.

2 people like this

I can think of a few armchair Town 'fans' who would need paying before they visited The Shay again!

27 minutes ago, bolt45 said:

No. I am saying the opposite. When this was announced a few on here thought it would be a good idea for us to try something along these lines.

Fair enough. It would take a few seasons of bankrolled low prices, on the pitch success and community involvement to start seeing any discernible increase in attendance. 

8 minutes ago, never_shay_die said:

Fair enough. It would take a few seasons of bankrolled low prices, on the pitch success and community involvement to start seeing any discernible increase in attendance. 

I was just pointing out that they had not retained any of the extra supporters.

The cheaper season tickets are a better option IMO. It means that new fans will go to every game and then get used to it. It worked at Bradford and Huddersfield. It would work better for us if we were back in the league though IMO. Something for the board to think about if and when we make it back.

8 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

The cheaper season tickets are a better option IMO. It means that new fans will go to every game and then get used to it. It worked at Bradford and Huddersfield. It would work better for us if we were back in the league though IMO. Something for the board to think about if and when we make it back.

It worked at Bradford because they did what Notts County did and did it again and again for over a season, not just once. It worked at Huddersfield because it was coupled with success that took them into The Premiership. Sustained success at The Shay and a drop in price  is the only real thing that will wake Halifax folk up.

Two words I dislike to see on the top of a thread....and then slightly relieved to see its about tickets!

Alan Hardy took over at Notts from the previous , eventually unpopular, Ray Trew and the club got a definite lift because it had been a basket case for a while and a poisonous one at that

Even with this years relative success in the league and cup, Notts attendances still fluctuate.

Although the attendance at Meadow Lane have been reasonably healthy this season, its ironic that the game they had their lowest gate (2290 v Mansfield) they got beat...although to be fair it was an evening game in the checkatrade trophy.

In general terms , fans will start to come back through word of mouth  and performances but mainly results ....if the teams winning then there is more chance of getting folk through the door... because even if you entice an extra 2000 fans through the door, if you get pumped 4 - 0 and dont play well then there isnt much chance of them coming back !

Price is important but they also need to enjoy the experience ...and theres nothing better than seeing your team win

2 people like this

Lincoln had a decent cup run & all of a sudden they've gained 6000 fans(all lifelong fans) altho many more 4-1 home defeats and they may just remember they're actually all Man City fans :lol:

On 2/25/2018, 12:23:05, never_shay_die said:

I'm sure you know that that discernible increase in the number of spectators paying week in week out far outlasts short lived successes and would more than pay back the original investment over time. 
It may take patience and prudence to save up the war chest of funds needed for this, but at least gains in attendance can be directly attributed to the upfront costs- unlike say, money spent on wages or fees for a particular player/manager. 

Our fanbase in terms of numbers has hardly changed in the last 30 years - see here: http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/halt.htm

It's not rocket science, as some posters have already said - increase in success equals increase in attendance. Our only real spike in attendance in the last 30 years came when we got promoted to the Football League, and lasted until we got relegated. It should of course also be noted that with promotion tends to come larger away followings - so it's hard to say for sure what proportion of the increase was made up of home fans.

I don't disagree that we should try things to better tempt locals to come down, and more importantly keep them - but you can't polish a turd, and unless they enjoy what they see when they do come through the turnstiles, the majority won't come back.

Edited by greg45
1 person likes this

What happened at the end of the 1924 season ? Our crowds dropped from 10,590 to 5,500 in 1 season !!

51 minutes ago, Jmc said:

What happened at the end of the 1924 season ? Our crowds dropped from 10,590 to 5,500 in 1 season !!

Heaths great great granddad became manager?

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, Jmc said:

Wasn't that around the time when Huddersfield started to become successful? Wasn't Major Buckley in charge of them? I think they won the league twice in 1926 and 1927.

5 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Wasn't that around the time when Huddersfield started to become successful? Wasn't Major Buckley in charge of them? I think they won the league twice in 1926 and 1927.

Maybe !  But our crowds halved in 1 season and never recovered ! Over to Shaymus 

Ah yes the great Herbert Chapman treble winning side 1923-1926 bloody poodles 

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Jmc said:

Ah yes the great Herbert Chapman treble winning side 1923-1926 bloody poodles 

That's it, Herbert Chapman. I got my managers mixed up.

On 25 February 2018 at 11:09:01, Che Bentos said:

I can think of a few armchair Town 'fans' who would need paying before they visited The Shay again!

Bit harsh on Flea

1 person likes this

That’s it! Armchair fan. He’s applied to gogglebox!

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, Tony Flower said:

That’s it! Armchair fan. He’s applied to gogglebox!

has he shacked up with June following Leon's demise?