Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Grimsby February 2016

20 posts in this topic

and your point is? 

2 people like this

Back when we had a proper manager who played attacking football on the deck. And took us to a trophy win at wembley. 

10 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Back when we had a proper manager who played attacking football on the deck. And took us to a trophy win at wembley. 

And relegation some time before............

27 minutes ago, Greggs said:

And played a dead ball midfielder who could find the net as opposed to endangering runners at Spring Hall.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, chrisbo61 said:

and your point is? 

Just thought I'd post an impressive win from the not too distant past. Nothing beyond that. No other motive, good to see Jake Hibbs hit the back of the net with his free kick I suppose? And since his reintroduction into the side this year he hasn't been unimpressive.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, royals1922 said:

And relegation some time before............

We were practically relegated before he became manager. I'm absolutely postive we'd have stayed up if he'd have got the job when Kelly did. Don't get the Harvey hate, he did incredible with the limited resources we had. Not saying he should be our current manager but i think he deserves more respect than some people give him

Just now, AJS said:

We were practically relegated before he became manager. I'm absolutely postive we'd have stayed up if he'd have got the job when Kelly did. Don't get the Harvey hate, he did incredible with the limited resources we had. Not saying he should be our current manager but i think he deserves more respect than some people give him

Disagree think we would have stayed up if he'd strengthened the squad when he had chance when Hamzah and Browny were long term injured.

1 person likes this

Just now, AJS said:

I hardly hate the bloke. Managers are judged by results sadly and history does not put an asterisk near their Wikipedia entry saying "screwed by Darren Kelly".

As for Mr Heath he too will eventually be judged by results. It's not fair but very little in life is.

4 minutes ago, chadders said:

Disagree think we would have stayed up if he'd strengthened the squad when he had chance when Hamzah and Browny were long term injured.

That's the one mistake i do think he made. However, do we know for definite that he didn't try and get anyone in. Maybe, he thought what we had at the club already was better than signing young loanees? It was a miracle we nearly stayed up as it was in my opinion. You could also argue, if we managed to keep Tuton we could have stayed up so that's another way of thinking about it

Edited by AJS

4 minutes ago, royals1922 said:

I hardly hate the bloke. Managers are judged by results sadly and history does not put an asterisk near their Wikipedia entry saying "screwed by Darren Kelly".

As for Mr Heath he too will eventually be judged by results. It's not fair but very little in life is.

I agree with you on Heath but i feel like you are contradicting yourself with the 'managers are judged by results'. The results under Harvey were extremely good on the whole. Surely if he was in charge the whole season or just from when Kelly became in charge we'd have easily stayed up?

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

That's the one mistake i do think he made. However, do we know for definite that he didn't try and get anyone in. Maybe, he thought what we had at the club already was better than signing young loanees? It was a miracle we nearly stayed up as it was in my opinion. You could also argue, if we managed to keep Tuton we could have stayed up so that's another way of thinking about it

Darren Kelly was a big factor, in my opinion. The amount of goal difference we got hit with ( leave aside the results per se) meant that we had t win because it if ever got even on points we were screwed on goal difference.

At least if Mr Heath leaves us now , our goal difference is, even after a run of bad results, still quite good.

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

I agree with you on Heath but i feel like you are contradicting yourself with the 'managers are judged by results'. The results under Harvey were extremely good on the whole. Surely if he was in charge the whole season or just from when Kelly became in charge we'd have easily stayed up?

No we were relegated. Sadly that's a killer on any manager's CV just as promotion on a manager's CV at any level is a big plus.It's perception that counts. Personally I would have kept Aspin on a little longer but that is recreating history and ultimately futile.

1 minute ago, royals1922 said:

No we were relegated. Sadly that's a killer on any manager's CV just as promotion on a manager's CV at any level is a big plus.It's perception that counts. Personally I would have kept Aspin on a little longer but that is recreating history and ultimately futile.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I personally think Harvey did as well as he could. I don't think anyone else could have gotten that close to staying up in that situation. As for Aspin, i disagree. He left on a sour note but it was the right time for him to go. We were stagnating under him. He'd have done slightly better than Kelly admiteddly. If the board had chosen the right manager to replace him we wouldn't even be discussing this in my opinion

Harvey achieved what no other town manager did that season ! Got us out of the bottom 4 in Feb , and still managed to relegate us 

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. I personally think Harvey did as well as he could. I don't think anyone else could have gotten that close to staying up in that situation. As for Aspin, i disagree. He left on a sour note but it was the right time for him to go. We were stagnating under him. He'd have done slightly better than Kelly admiteddly. If the board had chosen the right manager to replace him we wouldn't even be discussing this in my opinion

What I meant about Mr Aspin, was that I'd have kept on for a few more weeks so we could get everything in order for a seamless departure and if we did improve great, if not, when the change happened it would be orderly.

As I said I don't hate Mr Harvey at all. It's  just  fact of life that relegated managers do have a negative against them.

2 minutes ago, royals1922 said:

What I meant about Mr Aspin, was that I'd have kept on for a few more weeks so we could get everything in order for a seamless departure and if we did improve great, if not, when the change happened it would be orderly.

As I said I don't hate Mr Harvey at all. It's  just  fact of life that relegated managers do have a negative against them.

I don't massively disagree with you on Aspin, it's more Harvey. I do think there were slight mistakes made but he was the best manager we had that season based on results. That can't be denied

1 minute ago, AJS said:

I don't massively disagree with you on Aspin, it's more Harvey. I do think there were slight mistakes made but he was the best manager we had that season based on results. That can't be denied

He probably was the best but the bar was not that high.

Reason I don't worry about it now too much is that it has past long ago and Mr Harvey will always be the Trophy winning manager in my eyes. Just as Mr Heath will always be the promotion winning  manager  if he leaves (  as Mr Aspin is).

Kelly was just a maggot.

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Problem with that is, we had it in our own hands and messed up. 

I find it slightly concerning that our current captain and centre back was a key component in that relegation.

Just saying...... !