Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Long Throw competition 1970

33 posts in this topic

The only the bbc could do it that way 

1 hour ago, Shaymen Stats said:

The great Phil McCarthy. My Town hero of all time. I will never forget his long throw in to Les Massey who nodded in against the then England, World Cup winning goalkeeper, Gordon Banks at Stoke City in the FA Cup in January 1969. The greatest Halifax Town team of all time.

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Dennis the Menace said:

The great Phil McCarthy. My Town hero of all time. I will never forget his long throw in to Les Massey who nodded in against the then England, World Cup winning goalkeeper, Gordon Banks at Stoke City in the FA Cup in January 1969. The greatest Halifax Town team of all time.

What an atmosphere that day was....Happy days.

8 minutes ago, Dennis the Menace said:

Thought Phil was great but my hero around then was Dave Chadwick and of course Les Massey. Pity Phil had his tracksuit top on or we could have got a full view of the magnificent tangerine and blue kit instead of just the shorts and socks

1 minute ago, Scouse Shayman said:

Thought Phil was great but my hero around then was Dave Chadwick and of course Les Massey. Pity Phil had his tracksuit top on or we could have got a full view of the magnificent tangerine and blue kit instead of just the shorts and socks

Boy could we do with the 3 of them now.

1 minute ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Boy could we do with the 3 of them now.

Leonard, Burgin,Flower and Pickering would come in handy as well to name a few from the past, but we could qoute past players for ever but can we really compare players from different eras?

5 minutes ago, Scouse Shayman said:

Leonard, Burgin,Flower and Pickering would come in handy as well to name a few from the past, but we could qoute past players for ever but can we really compare players from different eras?

Only one I would question there and not on a footballing ability is Flower as I always used to say I have never seen a player look so fit but is always ill.

16 minutes ago, Scouse Shayman said:

Les MASSIE 

2 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Only one I would question there and not on a footballing ability is Flower as I always used to say I have never seen a player look so fit but is always ill.

As you say Lanzo he always seemed to be "ill" and not "injured"

1 minute ago, Shaymus said:

Les MASSIE 

Thank you Shaymus I knew it didn't look right when I typed it

35 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

I invented man flu you know....

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

What an atmosphere that day was....Happy days.

Good old days Lanzo, Billy's sycophants are probably all too young to remember the great days of Halifax Town. This is why us older end are so critical of the shite Heath's teams turn out. We've seen quality Halifax Town teams. You never know what's round the corner, good times in the league may happen again Lanzo just hope we are alive to see it again.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, born to moan said:

Good old days Lanzo, Billy's sycophants are probably all too young to remember the great days of Halifax Town. This is why us older end are so critical of the shite Heath's teams turn out. We've seen quality Halifax Town teams. You never know what's round the corner, good times in the league may happen again Lanzo just hope we are alive to see it again.

Just keep taking the meds.

Could have won the game as well. One down on 83 minutes I think and after the equaliser Massie was through on goal. He believed he had been caught offside and stopped allowing Shilts to smother the ball. I spoke to Massie a few years back in the Weavers. He said that before the replay Ball had the players running for hours. Les said they were knackered before the game even started. Lost it 0-3.

5 hours ago, Tony Flower said:

Could have won the game as well. One down on 83 minutes I think and after the equaliser Massie was through on goal. He believed he had been caught offside and stopped allowing Shilts to smother the ball. I spoke to Massie a few years back in the Weavers. He said that before the replay Ball had the players running for hours. Les said they were knackered before the game even started. Lost it 0-3.

I think your memory is a bit skewed here. The incident you refer to was Ian Lawther heading over the bar (of an empty goal) where Massie chipped it to him. Shilts is an odd nickname for Gordon Banks as well.....

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, born to moan said:

Having watched town since the early 50s as a young lad I am wondering if I actually watched town at all. All the glory days must have passed me by. We had brief moments of glory, promotion to the old 3rd division, promotion back into the league, a few decent cup runs and even up to date the Trophy win and promotion back into the conference national. Alas that is amongst many years of struggle against relegation, the continual fight to stay in the league when you had to rely on re-election (mostly achieved by John Crowther's efforts at persuading clubs to vote for us) and of course the crisis meetings  that came around nearly every year. I do wish we could go back to all those days again.:doh:

Edited by townmad

Promotion to the old 3rd division, aye in front of 17,000 at The Shay, promotion back to the league, aye with a great manager, Sir George, a few decent cup runs, aye 23,000 at The Shay v Stoke, defeat of Manchester City and who could forget George Best and Bobby Charlton trudging off the pitch after being whupped in The Watney Cup? 19,000 official crowd but many more as Utd fans had bust a gate open and many got in for nowt. Now pub fans are satisfied with Bacup, Rossendale and Guiseley.  

5 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Promotion to the old 3rd division, aye in front of 17,000 at The Shay, promotion back to the league, aye with a great manager, Sir George, a few decent cup runs, aye 23,000 at The Shay v Stoke, defeat of Manchester City and who could forget George Best and Bobby Charlton trudging off the pitch after being whupped in The Watney Cup? 19,000 official crowd but many more as Utd fans had bust a gate open and many got in for nowt. Now pub fans are satisfied with Bacup, Rossendale and Guiseley.  

Yes a handful of good days in my 60 odd years of watching town.

5 hours ago, kit said:

I think your memory is a bit skewed here. The incident you refer to was Ian Lawther heading over the bar (of an empty goal) where Massie chipped it to him. Shilts is an odd nickname for Gordon Banks as well.....

Oopsa, yes. Banks it was! I remember the Lawler miss but Massie did pull up when he thought he was off and wasn’t, pretty sure I remember that.

Who cares about about Banks playing against The Shaymen so long ago when we have recent memories of a cold day in Rossendale and a bad day in Bacup?

16 hours ago, Tony Flower said:

Oopsa, yes. Banks it was! I remember the Lawler miss but Massie did pull up when he thought he was off and wasn’t, pretty sure I remember that.

Well, the important thing is we both remember that we ought to have won. Shame about the replay, of course. Courier headline (exact wording, I think) was "Goodbye to Glory as Conroy rushes in"

15 hours ago, Nick said:

Let be honest three decent good season 

promotion from the fourth Div stabilisatinh year in the third then 3rd in third three good years and lot or survival in between 

some individual good events man city etc 

but the best day of my 50 years as a town fan was one day and Wembley and seeing us win 

don’t care what cup it was never thought in my life I would go to Wembley and see town play and win 

we will have more promotions and relegations before I leave this earth 

but maybe never another day at Wembley 

nick 

While not disagreeing, some of my favourite memories were during the first George Mulhall era, particularly the unbelievable escape from relegation in 1973 - Walsall away and all that. The next season, we came a creditable ninth in the league, with a team including four former under 21 internationals. Go on then - who's gonna name them?