Boreham Wood Thread

229 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Have felt we are short on players for the last half dozen matches but BH & the team keep pulling off minor miracles, if they pull it off without Denton & Kosylo it will b akin to walking on water.

Do not worry as Adam Morgan walks on water already, Morgan/Tomlinson the new dynamic duo.

7 hours ago, royals1922 said:

Indeed  Chester have a problem as do any of the bottom 5 sides who have since departed with their managers and spent for the most part mega bucks on signings.

And we too made some signings but sadly one was unsuited for this division and was dispensed with and 2 possibly very good signings have been smashed by injuries and 2 have been good signings (Tomlinson and big Sam). I'm still  unsold on Charles though as he has been underwhelming.

So I can see the need for one or two signings given the injuries.

But equally I do not know what efforts have been made to sign players behind the scene nor do I know the conditions of any players offered to us on loan.

Thus I cannot blame the club nor any individual at the club for any signing or indeed non signings.

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't call Tomlinson a good signing.....

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, TheNorwegianViking said:

Wait until next week after we have seen the new dynamic duo.

Be interesting to see what they have to offer as a partnership, Tomlinson works hard but has always been stuck out wide left, we know Morgan can put them away given half a chance, hopefully will work if they are on same wavelength.

4 hours ago, TheNorwegianViking said:

Depends upon your view of his role in the side.

I regard him as a squad player designed to supplement the skills of Morgan and Denton. In that role he's been reasonable when called upon as a sub. Better than the 3 main strikers. Probably not on exposed form this year but he's earned his keep.

On 10/7/2017, 8:47:43, royals1922 said:

Given that we have lost Kosylo and Denton, we will have a small forward line this weekend for the FA Cup tie.

So looking at things from really out in left field, would it be possible for Town to do an Ainge at least temporarily. Brown, Garner and Hotte are all 187cm and above and in their time have scored goals ( albeit in small amounts). So could any of them deputise upfront temporarily and at least neutralise one of the taller Tranmere defenders?

Hotte who is 190cm scored 5 from 35 for BPA. Brown is 194cm and has scored twice this year and Garner is 187cm  ( Garner scored 14 goals in 2 seasons for Boston  in 2013/14 and 2014/5 as a designated defender) .

The player could then go back and help out in defence when required.

It's certainly not ideal but if it didn't work in the Tranmere game, the only thing we might have lost is the chance to progress in the FA Cup ( which I'm not fussed about to be frank) and no league points. If it did work out, even patchily, we might be able to cover the loss of one of  the forwards better.

Otherwise we will have a forward line of Morgan ( 180cm), Tomlinson (180cm) and Charles (178cm).

Or are we robbing Peter to pay Paul?

Just a thought given that we have height already in the side.

Bear in mind that Ainge is only 185cm and had played 10 years of football in defence ( and scored 20 goals in total in that time) before it was suggested that he should try playing up for Harrogate  and we know how successful that change has been.

This is something I floated prior to the Tranmere game.

Yes it is left field but it worked for Harrogate with Ainge.

7 minutes ago, royals1922 said:

This is something I floated prior to the Tranmere game.

Yes it is left field but it worked for Harrogate with Ainge.

Problem is, if we had moved one of them up front, who would have covered at the back as we were down to the very bare bones there to the point that I'd argue the need for bodies there was greater than up front.

Just because it worked for one player it won’t work for many more. If out and out strikers aren’t getting many at this level then defenders won’t grt any more. Let them stick to what they’re good at. 

Problem is, IMO, I don't think a small line up will work up front in games for real points, any more than in did in the FA Cup. And 2 .points or 3 points lost of league points is worth significantly more than a FA Cup qualifying tie.

In theory it can but we have Charles and Tomlinson as our other strikers.

Late edit:

Last year when we played without Denton, we often had Peniket up front who is 191cm  so even last year when Denton didn't play, there was always another tall up front.

Edited by royals1922

It's not all about size and if Denton tries going 1 v 1 with McFatty, Denton will lose, it's about knowing the weak areas of the opposition and exploiting them . That's exactly what Tranmere did yesterday and that's why they looked average and we looked shocking, they exploited Oliver and Hotte making them look like rabbits in the headlights, they isolated Tomlinson and Morgan, they gave our wingers little room and service, they dragged our defenders out of position and they emphasised that Big Sam does need to work on some areas of his game

1 hour ago, Wilder Bollox said:

It's not all about size and if Denton tries going 1 v 1 with McFatty, Denton will lose, it's about knowing the weak areas of the opposition and exploiting them . That's exactly what Tranmere did yesterday and that's why they looked average and we looked shocking, they exploited Oliver and Hotte making them look like rabbits in the headlights, they isolated Tomlinson and Morgan, they gave our wingers little room and service, they dragged our defenders out of position and they emphasised that Big Sam does need to work on some areas of his game

Obviously you have to know a player's weaknesses but if you don't have a tall option up forward, it limits your options.

Also, and I'm being nice here, while Morgan and Kosylo  have obvious forward skills and Tomlinson has shown patches of potential, Charles has not shown as much. So our smaller forward options are therefore problematic.

Others believe you can play a forward line of smaller players, I reckon it's a better to have little and large. It is however a matter of opinion.

Well I honestly dont think Tranmere were that good. Granted, we were awful, but for some of the names and the expectation for success at Tranmere, they are really failing to achieve at the moment.

I dont think squad size is our main problem, but I do think we have 3 or 4 players that simply aren’t good enough. With everyone fit we have a very good starting XI, but it quickly becomes a problem when we have someone missing.

2 hours ago, Flea said:

Well I honestly dont think Tranmere were that good. Granted, we were awful, but for some of the names and the expectation for success at Tranmere, they are really failing to achieve at the moment.

I dont think squad size is our main problem, but I do think we have 3 or 4 players that simply aren’t good enough. With everyone fit we have a very good starting XI, but it quickly becomes a problem when we have someone missing.

I thought Norwood and Cook looked good and gave Brown & Garner a tough time, as tough as they have had all season 

2 people like this

Said it last week Norwood always scores against us.

4 hours ago, Flea said:

100% agree, fair assessment.

I don't think we played that badly yesterday. Tranmere were just better.

If we perform like that next Saturday, we should beat Torquay.

1 hour ago, last_chance_saloon said:

100% agree, fair assessment.

I don't think we played that badly yesterday. Tranmere were just better.

If we perform like that next Saturday, we should beat Torquay.

The thing that heartens me is that we play Tranmere shortly and in terms of improvement, we can improve significantly while the improvement that may be made by Tranmere  may be less.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, royals1922 said:

The thing that heartens me is that we play Tranmere shortly and in terms of improvement, we can improve significantly while the improvement that may be made by Tranmere  may be less.

I fancy us to get something at Tranmere if we get at them and lose our fear of their 'big' names

58 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

I fancy us to get something at Tranmere if we get at them and lose our fear of their 'big' names

We can easily beat them. Our best 11 versus their best 11. I'd back us every day of the week.

17 minutes ago, royals1922 said:

We can easily beat them. Our best 11 versus their best 11. I'd back us every day of the week.

Even at their place?

Edited by TheNorwegianViking

Just now, TheNorwegianViking said:

Even at their place?

All the pressure 'should' be on them

Just now, Wilder Bollox said:

All the pressure 'should' be on them

.....that's something else.

4 minutes ago, TheNorwegianViking said:

Even at their place?

Yes, at their place.

We did not have our leading 2 goalscorers playing for us and aside from Morgan had the B team forwards in. We were also playing a "small" side, whereas I reckon we are a better "tall" side than a "small" side.

I am completely disregarding the FA Cup tie and haven't even yet input any of the data from yesterday's game into my records ( and don't know whether I will) as I don't think the team cared about the game nor possibly anyone else.

When a Town team and a Tranmere team both of whom are known for their scything, yellow card drawing style don't get any yellows, it tells me that both sides, especially Town, weren't invested in the game.

When the 3 points are up for grabs, what that style that was witnessed yesterday turn 180 degrees.

Again I agree. Town had 4 shots on target, all by Morgan.

We were second best. But missing two players that have contributed 10 goals between them.

12 minutes ago, royals1922 said:

Yes, at their place.

We did not have our leading 2 goalscorers playing for us and aside from Morgan had the B team forwards in. We were also playing a "small" side, whereas I reckon we are a better "tall" side than a "small" side.

I am completely disregarding the FA Cup tie and haven't even yet input any of the data from yesterday's game into my records ( and don't know whether I will) as I don't think the team cared about the game nor possibly anyone else.

When a Town team and a Tranmere team both of whom are known for their scything, yellow card drawing style don't get any yellows, it tells me that both sides, especially Town, weren't invested in the game.

When the 3 points are up for grabs, what that style that was witnessed yesterday turn 180 degrees.

If you don't mind, I'd like to do a Gentleman's agreement with you. If Tranmere Rovers beat us you put £10 into Kit's bucket next time you see him.....If we win, I put £10 into his bucket next time I see him. Deal?

I agree to quite a bit of what you wrote above, royals.

Edited by TheNorwegianViking

Ultimately, we've hit bad form due to losing our winning line-up over the last four games, and have had a bit of hard lines during that time too, as we could've beat either Wrexham or Morning Wood. Torquay is a great chance to get back to winning ways, but will take a lot of effort still to pick things up. Then we can think about Tranmere away, which will be a whole new challenge against a team that might just be getting their season on track.