Chester FC - our next opponents

234 posts in this topic

Given we play Chester away, I've set out a little potted set of figures on Chester:

The recent history

2017 has been  a bad year for Chester.

From 1 January 2017 to April 2017 Chester won 4 games and drew 1 out of 22 games and were outscored 43-21 in that time. It should be  unsurprising in that light to note that they dod not score more than 2 goals in a game in that time and gave up 3 or more goals 9 times.

Surprisingly at home Chester drew 1 game and lost 10 while away they won 4 and lost 7. 

So home cooking isn't as delightful fare as take away but each meal was equally distasteful.

The reaction

Given the woeful backend of the 2016 season, Chester went through their side like a bad curry through someone with a less practised stomach.

They brought in, from June of this year:

C Mitchell Burnley

K James Macclesfield

L Rowe Turner Torquay

H White Solihull ( there's an article equating him to be the next "Alan Shearer")

N Bell Gateshead

R Hannah Barrow

A Halls Macclesfield

P Turnbull Barrow

J McCombe Macclesfield

They lost form June of this year:

W Marsh Telford

E Horword Bala

E Durrell Macclesfield

J Alabi Tranmere

J Hunt Mansfield

B Hudson TNS

K Richards Dover

L George Hartlepool

S Hughes Coventry

So it's been like the ending of Macbeth at Chester.

So it's questionable how much of the 2017 season you can import into your thinking.

Friendlies

Chester had 3 friendlies

Altrincham  3- Chester 2

Chester 1 - Walsall 2

Chester 1 - Port Vale 1

To the extent you can take anything out of friendlies, Chester do not appear to have won the possession stats in those friendlies.

Bottom line is though they have not kept a clean sheet since 1 April  2017.

The results this siseason

They drew with Fylde 1-1 ( their goal was scored by a midfielder Lucas Dawson) and their first game against Solihull was postponed for ground ticketing reasons.

Interestingly of the 16 players that played in the Fylde game only Ryan Astles, Craig Mahon, Dawson and James Akintude were with Chester last year of the first 11 and of the 5 subs Jordan Chapell, Alexander Lynch ( spare goal keeper) and Liam Davies were with Chester last year. Of those 3 only Jordan Chappell got on the field.

So one question is how well have the Chester side knitted together.

As for height only John McCombe (192cm)Defender, Astles 195cm defender, Lynch 187cm gk, Bell (191cm) striker, Jones 193 cm ( reserve defender) and Crawford 186cm ( reserve  midfielder)  are over 185cm. Jones, Lynch and Crawford did not feature in the Fylde  game.

So Town may have an advantage with Denton etc.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, eddies mate said:

That's probably more prep than Heath's done !

:lol:

3-4 coaches are going over I think, good backing from our fans and I think we can get a win.

The players were great with the fans the other night, triple that number of fans and hopefully it'll be like a rocket up them with the heart and desire to try even harder.

Can't wait to see how we react with Kinglsey James!!! Although backing our own lads is first and foremost, I reckon James' head would go given stick! Ha.

9 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

3-4 coaches are going over I think, good backing from our fans and I think we can get a win.

The players were great with the fans the other night, triple that number of fans and hopefully it'll be like a rocket up them with the heart and desire to try even harder.

Can't wait to see how we react with Kinglsey James!!! Although backing our own lads is first and foremost, I reckon James' head would go given stick! Ha.

Is that 3-4 official coaches I L?

13 minutes ago, Glenners said:

so 0-0 then !!!

Will the goalscorer be unleashed?

Well the good thing is surely we're due to score a goal. Just try not let 4 in at the other end. 

Halifax Town is rarely a well oiled machine working at both ends.

2-2.

So......

Jester have had a terrible 2017, and moved out 9 players whilst bringing in another 9.

As Mr Heaths avid supporters on here were forever telling us that it takes time and many games for the players to get to know one another and to `gel` (at least when it applied to us, anyway) we can expect a dominant performance on Saturday and a comfortable 3 points.

Can`t we?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Agree with the players been great with the fans, it wasn't a great following but they were very grateful and each player clapped us at the end for a while. It's probably the most appreciative ve seen them of our fans. I though garner was going to shake our hand he came so close!

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Angus said:

So......

Jester have had a terrible 2017, and moved out 9 players whilst bringing in another 9.

As Mr Heaths avid supporters on here were forever telling us that it takes time and many games for the players to get to know one another and to `gel` (at least when it applied to us, anyway) we can expect a dominant performance on Saturday and a comfortable 3 points.

Can`t we?

No game is ever easy. Any team is one bad penalty ( as we have seen) or a sending off from a bad or good result depending on who receives what.

That said our defence seems to have settled well into the year, the midfield and offence a work in progress. 

So a 0 -0 or 1-0 or 0-1 at half time could happen again.

After half time I expect our height may cause some problems for them.

Chester's manager is upbeat ( as you'd expect ):

From the Chester Chronicle, John McCarthy said this:

“He’s different to (James) Alabi and some didn’t really take to him but his goals were important, but I knew you’d get him (White).

“He (White) was great. But we’re stronger there, we’re stronger in the midfield area and we’re stronger defensively even if we haven’t got the numbers there. We’re stronger in terms of the keepers now and that’s important.”

The "he" is referring to is Harry White.

But a note of caution, there has been some hooligan news arising from the Chester Tranmere game with 4 people being arrested in liverpool arising a game in March. Could be a spot of  madness or too.

As for Kingley James, he said this about the game:

“It’s just another game of football for me,” 

“I enjoyed my time there as a player and things didn’t quite go to plan but that is in the past and I just want to get three points for the club that I am playing for now.

“I expect them to work hard, that is a given. Billy’s (Heath) teams work really hard and the work rate and endeavour will be there. They have got some big players. They’ve got Tom Denton who can be very effective but we know what to expect and we have just got to work on us and how we are going to deal with that.

“We have just got to work hard and come with that intensity that we did on Tuesday night.”.

"As for height only John McCombe (192cm)Defender, Astles 195cm defender, Lynch 187cm gk, Bell (191cm) striker, Jones 193 cm ( reserve defender) and Crawford 186cm ( reserve  midfielder)  are over 185cm. Jones, Lynch and Crawford did not feature in the Fylde  game. "

What is that in feet and inches ?

1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:

Is that 3-4 official coaches I L?

Only one official going but I've heard there's a few buses that have been organised by pubs and fans in general. Hopefully we'll have a few hundred there.

Its going to be lovely weather too.

11 minutes ago, rdj said:

"As for height only John McCombe (192cm)Defender, Astles 195cm defender, Lynch 187cm gk, Bell (191cm) striker, Jones 193 cm ( reserve defender) and Crawford 186cm ( reserve  midfielder)  are over 185cm. Jones, Lynch and Crawford did not feature in the Fylde  game. "

Tall!

Good to see you guys back in this league and best of luck for the season.

Hope it's a cracking game on Saturday and not marred by the usual idiots. I will forecast a draw, because unbelievably we haven't won at home since before Christmas, so if you can't win here, you won't win anywhere :-)

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, rdj said:

6 feet is 1.83cm.

Apart from the players named, the Chester side are basically around 6 feet at the highest. A few of them are 175cm and below ( about 5  feet 8 or 9).

The Fylde - Chester highlights are on you tube and the size difference is apparent there.

Edited by royals1922

2 hours ago, royals1922 said:

Given we play Chester away, I've set out a little potted set of figures on Chester:

The recent history

2017 has been  a bad year for Chester.

From 1 January 2017 to April 2017 Chester won 4 games and drew 1 out of 22 games and were outscored 43-21 in that time. It should be  unsurprising in that light to note that they dod not score more than 2 goals in a game in that time and gave up 3 or more goals 9 times.

Surprisingly at home Chester drew 1 game and lost 10 while away they won 4 and lost 7. 

So home cooking isn't as delightful fare as take away but each meal was equally distasteful.

The reaction

Given the woeful backend of the 2016 season, Chester went through their side like a bad curry through someone with a less practised stomach.

They brought in, from June of this year:

C Mitchell Burnley

K James Macclesfield

L Rowe Turner Torquay

H White Solihull ( there's an article equating him to be the next "Alan Shearer")

N Bell Gateshead

R Hannah Barrow

A Halls Macclesfield

P Turnbull Barrow

J McCombe Macclesfield

They lost form June of this year:

W Marsh Telford

E Horword Bala

E Durrell Macclesfield

J Alabi Tranmere

J Hunt Mansfield

B Hudson TNS

K Richards Dover

L George Hartlepool

S Hughes Coventry

So it's been like the ending of Macbeth at Chester.

So it's questionable how much of the 2017 season you can import into your thinking.

Friendlies

Chester had 3 friendlies

Altrincham  3- Chester 2

Chester 1 - Walsall 2

Chester 1 - Port Vale 1

To the extent you can take anything out of friendlies, Chester do not appear to have won the possession stats in those friendlies.

Bottom line is though they have not kept a clean sheet since 1 April  2017.

The results this siseason

They drew with Fylde 1-1 ( their goal was scored by a midfielder Lucas Dawson) and their first game against Solihull was postponed for ground ticketing reasons.

Interestingly of the 16 players that played in the Fylde game only Ryan Astles, Craig Mahon, Dawson and James Akintude were with Chester last year of the first 11 and of the 5 subs Jordan Chapell, Alexander Lynch ( spare goal keeper) and Liam Davies were with Chester last year. Of those 3 only Jordan Chappell got on the field.

So one question is how well have the Chester side knitted together.

As for height only John McCombe (192cm)Defender, Astles 195cm defender, Lynch 187cm gk, Bell (191cm) striker, Jones 193 cm ( reserve defender) and Crawford 186cm ( reserve  midfielder)  are over 185cm. Jones, Lynch and Crawford did not feature in the Fylde  game.

So Town may have an advantage with Denton etc.

Means absolutely nothing all that.It's on the day is what matters. Chester is a team we should be looking to take points off.If we go into this game ultra cautious.Then we really are in for a hard season.

Grow a pair Billy & go for it...

1 hour ago, royals1922 said:

No game is ever easy. Any team is one bad penalty ( as we have seen) or a sending off from a bad or good result depending on who receives what.

That said our defence seems to have settled well into the year, the midfield and offence a work in progress. 

So a 0 -0 or 1-0 or 0-1 at half time could happen again.

After half time I expect our height may cause some problems for them.

Why after half time?

Just now, ashy1966 said:

Means absolutely nothing all that.It's on the day is what matters. Chester is a team we should be looking to take points off.If we go into this game ultra cautious.Then we really are in for a hard season.

Grow a pair Billy & go for it...

As I  said, because of the wholesale change in players one can't just look at the back end of last year for Chester as a lot of those players have gone. The highlights of the Fylde v Chester game is on Youtube to view.

1 minute ago, ashy1966 said:

Why after half time?

Chester appear to go hard early so it's as important not to give them a goal or two lead at half time. 

1 person likes this

Just now, royals1922 said:

As I  said, because of the wholesale change in players one can't just look at the back end of last year for Chester as a lot of those players have gone. The highlights of the Fylde v Chester game is on Youtube to view.

Not interested. Only bothered how my own team does.Let's have a right go at them.You never know?We might just win.

2 minutes ago, royals1922 said:

Chester appear to go hard early so it's as important not to give them a goal or two lead at half time. 

It works both ways.As for Denton.It,s  like Kingsley says.We know what to expect.

Just now, ashy1966 said:

Not interested. Only bothered how my own team does.Let's have a right go at them.You never know?We might just win.

Agreed you should have confidence in your own team, just as one should know something about the opposition.

Funnily enough, I think this may be the type of game that suits Morgan, assuming he's fit and there are no disciplinary issues in play.

5 minutes ago, royals1922 said:

Agreed you should have confidence in your own team, just as one should know something about the opposition.

Funnily enough, I think this may be the type of game that suits Morgan, assuming he's fit and there are no disciplinary issues in play.

Hope so He deserves a chance.

1 person likes this