Aldershot thread

329 posts in this topic

Never felt the need to post but after watching the game today couldn't understand the team selection, tactics, subs and what Heath was playing at.  

Teams in this league are faster, stronger and try to play the football on the deck. 

We simply didn't compete at times, letting them carry the ball over half the pitch without even challenging.   Denton still can't jump, flick ons go everywhere but to a town player and is simply not good enough to start at this level.  

I am not saying is all doom and gloom but don't see this team scoring the way it is set up and with the players who heaths loyalty to is becoming embarrassing  

i stand to be corrected and will stand by Heath but after today he has a lot to prove if he isn't just a conference north manager   

3 people like this

We are all quick to take swipes at individuals and Denton again, is in for a lot of stick. He was poor today but his strength aside from flicking the ball on, is his aerial ability in the box. To play to this guys strengths we need to provide him with service from out wide. Do we ever get the ball out wide in the right areas? I don't believe we do, so we now have a situation where Macdonald and Kosylo are not getting the ball in the right areas to showcase their strengths. We are not a fluid footballing team and plenty of work needs doing in training working on this. We look way too disorganised and lacking in ideas. It all points to lack of work on the training ground and it needs addressing. 

Marcus bignot was in the crowd again today I am not saying it to suggest he is going to replace Heath but does anyone know what he is up to these days does he scout for anyone just interested to know what he is up to these days as I used to watch him a lot as a player

Edited by fchtnico1

Some people actually seem pleased we got beat today, they can all being their knives out of the cupboard that they had to put away last season and sharpen them for their attack on Billy. We have lost a game to one of the favourites for the play offs FFS. 

2 people like this

So Guys we are FCHT we have just got promoted to the premier league , so for today think Huddersfield v Tottenham or Liverpool, we were up against a better team, IF we would have had a lot of luck we COULD have got away with a draw but hey ho we didn't.

BH picked the team, perhaps it was the ones who'd shown the most desire in training ?

Personally thought Hotte was out of his depth , difficult for our new right back making his debut, presumably only just having met his new team mates ?

Give the guy ( BH) a break judge him after 6 plus games, but not after 90 minutes.

Edited by PRS
1 person likes this

It is not the fact that we lost to one of the favourites for the play offs it is the manner of that defeat and the build up to it (team set up and selection). We were the home side on a high from play off success last season yet we set up like we wanted to avoid being beaten. I accept we are in a stronger league but it reeks of last seasons hoof it to Denton and pray something comes off.

9 minutes ago, AFC Halifax said:

Some people actually seem pleased we got beat today, they can all being their knives out of the cupboard that they had to put away last season and sharpen them for their attack on Billy. We have lost a game to one of the favourites for the play offs FFS. 

Can you pick any faults from today from the players or management? Do you think the team selection was correct? Do you think Morgan should have been on the bench? The result could have been the same no matter what the team selection but for me the starting line up and bench was totally wrong. To be losing at home and have to bring Clarke on to hopefully change it just shows how wrong It was 

4 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Can you pick any faults from today from the players or management? Do you think the team selection was correct? Do you think Morgan should have been on the bench? The result could have been the same no matter what the team selection but for me the starting line up and bench was totally wrong. To be losing at home and have to bring Clarke on to hopefully change it just shows how wrong It was 

Yes Morgan should have been on the bench, do we know why he wasn't? Thought the manager was brave playing both wingers. New fullback looks a replica of Kev Roberts. With no Morgan, for whatever reason, then Clarke was the obvious player to bring on and play off Denton and move Charles out wide. Hotte & Lynch is a toss up really both offer different things. 

To put this game into perspective. Aldershot are full time. They got to the play-off semi final last season. 14 of the players from last year are still at the club. Yes they've lost Kanu, and Mensah was injured but they're still a strong side. The lad that scored the first goal is an under 21 international with Republic of Ireland.

In terms of FCHT. We matched them well in the first half, and could have gone in a goal up with a bit more luck.

Second half we were outfoxed, out smarted and looked naive.

Oliver was getting the ball way too deep to be effective, he needs to push up and be a real Number 10. For me Dixon offers more than Hotte, and I'd have Lynch over MacDonald. Morgan needs to be in the match day squad at the minimum to offer an option on the bench.

Big job for BH to pick the team up for Barrow on Tuesday, as he won't see the lads again until match day- the perils of part time I'm afraid. I'd anticipate 3 at the back with Riley coming in on Tuesday too.

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, AFC Halifax said:

Give him the benefit of the doubt today, see where Aldershot end up.

But my gut feeling is that the tactics, team selection and overall performance was all too similar to the mind numbing dross served up for much of last season. 

Yes, thanks for the promotion Billy, but I've never been convinced and you need to learn fast and stop boring us to death. 

I think he'll be found out this season, I hope he proves us wrong.

3 people like this

Disappointed with the result. First game of the season against a good side of full timers is no disgrace.

I think Billy is man enough to hold his hands up and change things if they're not working like he did last season. He does need to do it quickly this year though. 

Let's see where we are after 15 games. Still optimistic and I feel we will do well this season when we find our feet. Also, its not easy when you're playing against twelve men.

Up The Shaymen.

I thought  first 45 mins we looked comfortable, and thought we 'll be ok  this season.  But it is def a step up in terms of football ability, tactics etc.   Thought Tomlinson looked good and was dismayed by substitution for Clarke , who clearly looks out of his depth.  Thought kosy made lots of effort and tried to change things otherwise could be a difficult season.  Hey ho   nice to see some football played, rather than 90 mins of  hoof.       

Can't believe some of the comments on here. Have we all been at the same game? First, we need to remember that Aldershot are probably one of the best teams in this league. We won't play many teams that good. Second, some of the comments about some of our players are absolute rubbish, in my view. As I haven't managed to get to any pre-season games, this was my first look at the new guys, so here are my thoughts.

Sam and the defence all had decent games, including the new lad, Vera Duckworth. Ok so he made a mistake for the first goal and needs to build an understanding with Josh, or whoever occupies the right wing, but remember he probably only met them at lunchtime!

Oliver looked good and was my Town MOM. Hotte was poor. Both wingers tried hard. Josh took on more defenders and stayed upright more than he would have last season. Kossy needs to rein in his temper, or he'll see red from some refs. Charles looked good when he came on as did Danny Clarke.

Up front, I was not impressed with Tomlinson. I think he was also in danger of seeing red, and that was perhaps why he was taken off.  He does seem like a liability with his lunging tackles and doesn't seem to offer much of a threat. Perhaps he would if the ball ever landed at his feet! Denton is Denton. Don't expect him to be fast. But what he did do was win most of his headers and directed them correctly towards a Town player. It is hardly his fault that the Aldershot defenders nipped in and beat our man to the ball nearly every time.

What I do agree with from above comments is the lack of pace up front. Also there were many occasions when players did not seem to anticipate what others were going to do. They need a better understanding of one another, but hopefully that will come with more games.

Lets not despair. It's the first game, and as I said we will not meet teams that good every week.

4 people like this

They progressed to a midfield triangle that worked extremely well, we persevered with a midfield two that didn't & was overrun , we introduced Clarke & he offered nothing. Referee OK until the long decision over the Aldershot offside goal he then fell apart, how the hell did he dig up the penalty, nothing from linesman but he saw an offence from 30yds behind play.

20 minutes ago, andrich said:

Can't believe some of the comments on here. Have we all been at the same game? First, we need to remember that Aldershot are probably one of the best teams in this league. We won't play many teams that good. Second, some of the comments about some of our players are absolute rubbish, in my view. As I haven't managed to get to any pre-season games, this was my first look at the new guys, so here are my thoughts.

Sam and the defence all had decent games, including the new lad, Vera Duckworth. Ok so he made a mistake for the first goal and needs to build an understanding with Josh, or whoever occupies the right wing, but remember he probably only met them at lunchtime!

Oliver looked good and was my Town MOM. Hotte was poor. Both wingers tried hard. Josh took on more defenders and stayed upright more than he would have last season. Kossy needs to rein in his temper, or he'll see red from some refs. Charles looked good when he came on as did Danny Clarke.

Up front, I was not impressed with Tomlinson. I think he was also in danger of seeing red, and that was perhaps why he was taken off.  He does seem like a liability with his lunging tackles and doesn't seem to offer much of a threat. Perhaps he would if the ball ever landed at his feet! Denton is Denton. Don't expect him to be fast. But what he did do was win most of his headers and directed them correctly towards a Town player. It is hardly his fault that the Aldershot defenders nipped in and beat our man to the ball nearly every time.

What I do agree with from above comments is the lack of pace up front. Also there were many occasions when players did not seem to anticipate what others were going to do. They need a better understanding of one another, but hopefully that will come with more games.

Lets not despair. It's the first game, and as I said we will not meet teams that good every week.

Very well put, exactly my thoughts! Oliver played a blinder, I love the way his kicks seem to linger in the air to give everyone a chance to get in position! Don't think the result mirrored the effort put in by the Town players. On the whole pleased.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, mjc12345 said:

Thought Tomlinson was putting a good shift in today! Can't believe people are saying we are in a relegation battle already! What if Man Utd lose on opening day, does that mean there in a relegation battle? Jeez! Wish some people on here would get a grip with them self. We was out done by a decent well organised Aldershot side and a ref that was clueless. It wasn't for need of trying today! The effort was there just didn't have the finishing touch which will come game by game. Calm down!!!

Can someone tell me what position was Tomlinson playing?If he was supposed to be playing up front with Denton. He was no where near him all game.

No one today in midfield had the energy to keep up with Aldershot,midfield. Badly missed Dixon.Josh Wilde stand out player for me today.Duckworth played very well apart from his howler.

Hope we are not going to pay the price for not bringing in an out & out centre forward.Goals are going to be hard to come by.

1 minute ago, chrisbo61 said:

Very well put, exactly my thoughts! Oliver played a blinder, I love the way his kicks seem to linger in the air to give everyone a chance to get in position! Don't think the result mirrored the effort put in by the Town players. On the whole pleased.

Team selection wrong, Morgan not even on the bench, not one clear cut chance created, baffling substitution and still  not one clear cut chance created, Hibbs, McManus treated like Morgan, Heath clueless, pleased with a 0-1 and a sack of ****.

2 minutes ago, ashy1966 said:

Can someone tell me what position was Tomlinson playing?If he was supposed to be playing up front with Denton. He was no where near him all game

Started in a front 2 with Denton but after about 20 minutes he had to drop deep and try and stop the Aldershot No.8 (I think he was) dictating the game. Him and Rowe looked the real deal for the visitors 

9 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Thought Oliver was completely overrun in midfield today as was Hotte.Defence looked very strong apart from one mistake.The other end of the pitch is the big worry.Denton was poor with his headers today.On the plus side he showed some neat touches with his feet.

Edited by ashy1966

3 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Team selection wrong, Morgan not even on the bench, not one clear cut chance created, baffling substitution and still  not one clear cut chance created, Hibbs, McManus treated like Morgan, Heath clueless, pleased with a 0-1 and a sack of ****.

Which substitution was baffling? Tomlinson had to come off. He did nothing positive all game. He'd been booked for a dangerous tackle and still kept wading in with more of them. If he'd not been subbed there was a good chance of a second yellow. There was nobody else on the bench who could have come on for him. Charles was always going to come on for either Josh or Kossy

No Town MOM named either at the ground or in the report on website. I'd go for Oliver, followed by Wilde

4 minutes ago, andrich said:

Which substitution was baffling? Tomlinson had to come off. He did nothing positive all game. He'd been booked for a dangerous tackle and still kept wading in with more of them. If he'd not been subbed there was a good chance of a second yellow. There was nobody else on the bench who could have come on for him. Charles was always going to come on for either Josh or Kossy

We needed a goal, on comes Clarke while Morgan is nowhere to be seen. Baffling. In fact CRIMINAL.

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, andrich said:

No Town MOM named either at the ground or in the report on website. I'd go for Oliver, followed by Wilde

Matty Brown got my match point.

I personally think we have a good and versatile team who can beat the best in the division on their day, however, due to our part time status there will be obvious challenges for our players....especially midweek matches after a hard days graft and less training time together to 'sort' things out.

I do have an ominous feeling that if BH chooses to adopt this 'defensive' mindset and setup we will struggle to stay up. Yes our defence is probably our best facet, but our biggest strength is not playing defensively. We will concede if we aim to play 90 minutes without enabling the opposition to score and during that time we will have created very little and Denton left isolated and blamed for all our problems for not scoring. The second half today was pretty much 1 up front again which we certainly know now that this does not work. 

With the likes of Kosylo, Charles, Oliver, Dixon, McDonald, Denton, Morgan, even Tomlinson we have considerable goal scoring talent there that still remains untapped. We should be more bold and brave and play an attacking game with plenty of pressing high up. In terms of a race to 15 points over 15 matches, i personally believe we would be better aiming to win 5 and lose 10 rather than aim to draw all 15 matches. If we play with an attacking mentally, yes there will be times we will be caught out, outclassed and unlucky when pressing, but i personally believe we will win at least half if not more of the 15 matches. If we go a goal ahead, we really seem to get on top and it spurs the players on. On the other hand, when we go a goal down we seem to fall apart and i think this 'defensive' setup plays right into the hands of this.

We got outclassed in the middle of the park today. As mentioned, Oliver alone is not the solution. Looking at pre-season, we have not scored a goal when Oliver has been on the pitch. This is not me saying he is a bad player or he shouldn't start. I think he should because he is a class player. However, we need Dixon in there also. When Dixon entered the frame during the second half against Rochdale, we scored two. When Dixon played most of the match again North Ferriby we scored three. I personally believe he offers us so much more. He hardly got a look in during the Bradford match and we were like what we were today.

I hope we go to Barrow and really go for the win. If we really have a go playing the attacking game, get the wingers into the game more and plenty more crosses into the box for Denton to feed off, i am not bothered about the result. I will start to believe we can go on and have a 'successful' season.

1 person likes this

Can't say I was happy with the overall team selection, bench or tactics but the best team won, Aldershot had quality where it counted, on occasions you have to admit to being second best, this being one.