Aldershot thread

329 posts in this topic

2-0 though pen was dubious. Looks like it could be a tough season based on this performance. I can't see us breaking out of the bottom 8.

Aldershot penalty... scored

Chesh and King in disbelief that it was given and we didn't have one about 30 secs earlier. Sounds like we've been a little unlucky in that we could have scored just before both their goals - shot from Oliver deflected just wide on the first and denied a penalty on the second.

Buckle in. Long long season ahead on this evidence. Said all summer this team would struggle to score goals at this level. Very different kettle of fish from Conf North. 

2 people like this

All the northern teams are struggling.

That salary war in the Conference North is showing up in the first round of results.

3 5 2 in the next game please Billy and a sub's bench that can change the system if needed.

Losing at home with no striker on the bench to bring on 

1 person likes this

We are in a relegation battle already,exciting season ahead. Come on Shaymen, it's only one game.

First things first that was a poor performance but let's not over react it's only the first game! For me not the correct team and it showed as we had no midfield whatsoever

Morgan, Dixon and Lynch not even in the squad, very strange......

also that was never ever a penalty but we didn't deserve to get anything from that game so we move on 

Can't slate heath after 1 game but I'm baffled by the options on the bench. Think pointless putting Riley on the bench when we have 3 centre backs in the pitch in garner hotte and brown. Macca a defender and Clarke is defensive. For me Morgan unless he is injured should be on the bench instead of Riley for attacking options 

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, waaslebner said:

Macca and Dion need to play next game.

Wilde did well 

3 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Outplayed (today)

No shock really 

1st half I thought was ok but 2nd was poor the Aldershot defenders marked Denton out of the game and with him being the only striker on the pitch it was never going to create anything. Aldershot got stronger Halifax got weaker. Morgan and Dixon would both have added to that team from the bench.

the referee was poor but I thought he was spot on with the Halifax penalty not being given as I think it was hotte who went down quite easy. The Aldershot penalty a minute later was a joke ref waved play on then five seconds later after the player stayed down he gave a penalty 

1 person likes this

Aldershot defending was very good the amount of times they blocked shots and headers was a credit to them and there support  today was fantastic.We started off very well and slowly faded in the second half Aldershots penalty shouldn't have been given and the one we appealed for didn't look like one .Going forward there was no pace or cutting edge we need to bring in a striker with some pace .

Started well today but Aldershot grew into the game as the first half went on.

Duckworth looked decent but made the one big error in the game, rest of the defence were solid enough. Oliver seemed to be being asked to play a lot further forward than in pre season games, Hotte didn't look that comfortable. Macdonald and Kosylo didn't really provide much more than the occasional glimpse of their attacking threat and Denton won most headers but Tomlinson failed to link up with him or offer any real alternative up top.

Seemed a very defensive line up when it was announced and looked like our game plan was to be hard to beat. Worked to an extent, but once we went a goal down there was no option to change things. When you're throwing Clarke on to hope something happens up top it's not a good sign. 

1 person likes this

Strange game. Thought we matched them first half, but their experience, and game management was the factor.

Long ball to Denton got a bit predictable at times, strange about Morgan. We lacked a real cutting edge today.

Midfield looked, id have been a bit narrower and put Bohan in there.

Lots to.learn but need to be positive.

A very disappointing outcome to end the game without a shout, but it didn't have to be that way. The first goal only came about because Duckworth wasn't facing the ball as it came his way, a seriously elementary mistake that must have been down to him being completely new to the squad. The second goal looked like a dodgy decision from our perch at the back of the South Stand, a million miles away, and that shut us up. Was a shame to see floods to the exit at that point too. But in the first half we looked up to scratch and were the better rehearsed team. There were occasional moments from our attack where we looked able to surprise them, but even that didn't last the whole game and the only concern, to me, is that we need to figure out how to breach defences and to do it with urgency.

Fortunately we have several different formations to choose from with this current squad for Barrow, which could hopefully spell a chance for the likes of Morgan as Tomlinson played a very minor role today, or an opportunity to bulk up our choice for midfield with another CM. Duckworth can put the game behind him, as I'm sure the rest of the squad won't find it too hard to do. 

Aldershot of course were pretty good and will be better resourced than us, but their gamesmanship helped them a little. Since we never went ahead there wasn't an opportunity for them to witness our ultra-defensive play with Denton tracking back and our own playing for time. It was embarrassing though when they were caught offside between their two goals, but their striker carried on in front of the Shaymen, who had all heard the whistle, put it into the net, ran behind the goals in celebration, ignored the referee some more, then celebrated with his teammates in front of the away crowd, as if that would somehow make a "goal" count that came yonks after the whistle was blown. Why?

I'd hope that as we consolidate throughout the season, we won't muck up two decisions a game in that fashion. We can win the mental battles once again, and have enough bright sparks up front to cause problems.

Decent first 20 mins then got ragged , duckworth decent game bar one error, poor second half ref was a horror show , Denton ineffective , macdionald anonymous as per , defensive wise look ok but if we don't sort attack out will be long season. 1-0 down at home and Danny Clarke comes on worries me . 

lm afraid on today's showing we are in fir a lond hard season ... pkenty if endeavour but just not good enough. Aldershot ran us ragged in midfield with their blond lad (27) the best player on the pitch. Apart from the odd half chance we never really looked like scoring. As for the penalty  ... absolute joke. Spoke to a Shots fan outside who agreed, said they were as surprised as we were!