Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Video panel

37 posts in this topic

Just watching Portugal v Mexico and I really don't like this video panel idea. I'd rather live with mistakes I think! But would I? Maradona hand ball? England goal 3 ft over the line (Chelsea player name completely gone! It's the heat! Lampard?) 

its a difficult one! 

2 people like this

I'm not a fan at all.

Football is a game based on human skill, judgement, error. A Referee or Linesman making a total balls up of a decision is as healthy as a David Lynch mistimed tackle or not passing to a player in acres of space. Its human nature.

I'm a big believer in Karma or swings and roundabouts. Take 1966 for example, did the ball cross the line? I don't think it did and karma got its own back with Frank Lampard's goal not being given!

The Liverpool ghost goal v Chelsea in the European Cup semi-final was never a goal but its talked about even now and it was all part of an amazing story in which they went on to win the actual cup in amazing circumstances. Then Karma hit them 6 months later in the World Club cup with 3 goals chalked off!!!

I feel that if we go down the road of technology then where will it end? We'll be reviewing offsides, fouls, etc. The Referees will also take the easy way out everytime too, just like in Rugby.

1 person likes this

Give it a chance, only at the experimental stage.

To be fair in rugby you can have 10 lads on top of each other with the ball at the bottom and the ref sometimes simply has no clue

In the interest of fairness, and with so many cameras around capturing everything from so many angles, and with other sports already using technology, this has to be the way the game has to go.  

I do think the fans should be made aware why the ref has gone to the video. During the Portugal v Mexico game with Cedrics goal nobody had any idea why he had gone to the video ref. 

Posted (edited)

Should we get a say whether it's brought into the prem or not, with us being in it in 4 years and all

Edited by Shaymen101

Guess I'm just old fashioned in declaring the second Chile goal still offside in my book

Interesting in the Under 20 WC final, the ref gave the penalty and then went to the video ref. It stopped all the arguments as the ref told players it was under review. No arguments when the video confirmed the decision. I think it's a good thing.

I can understand it being useful in making this sort of decision but when the ball hits the back of the net the decision has to be immidiate otherwise the joy of a goal celebrations will be gone! 

problem is, we still get the worst refs and no video technology........

Kavanagh will be Premier League next season, so maybe we are getting rid of some of our worst refs :lol:

I'm a fan of the video tech and think there is a way to integrate it almost seamlessly into the game. It is still in it's developmental stages at the moment and there are kinks to work out. There's no need to review every single decision, just the potentially game-changing ones, like if a player puts the ball in the net but the linesman has his flag raised for offside, on conversely, if the linesman doesn't flag but it was offside. 

Like in cricket, the technology isn't there to make every decision, just for the howlers that are obviously wrong, and I think the game at the top level is better for it. As for the argument about celebrations, the teams still celebrate just as much when the decision comes back and the batsman is out.  If we have the technology available to use in football then we'd be stupid not to use it. If we try and it we can't make it work then it doesn't work and we move on, but at least the possibility was explored instead of just talked about.

There was a game recently (think it might have been Russia v New Zealand on Saturday?) where the video ref got it wrong as well, can you imagine the amount of scrutiny they'd come under if that happened in this country? Just not needed.

Just have to accept it, we're going down the route of big teams getting big screens in the stadium and more and more will do the same and it will sort out the offside goals, ball over the line etc. There's still a problem with the decisions the officials make though and they still need to get tougher on diving, they will still award soft penalties even if it goes to VAR because they follow the same rules. Bring tackling back.

15 hours ago, PeterPan said:

But it's just going to make the officials NOT make a decision on the spot.... which will mean goals won't be celebrated anymore! Because we will have to wait for a decision... can you imagine getting rid of Ronnie Radcliffe's FA cup goal celebration as he wheels away arms stretched to the sky fans spewing on to the pitch.. replace it with standing in the center circle waiting for the video panel... nah! It's all wrong.. I need to know within a second if the goal stands or not so I can celebrate or swear at the officials. It's wrong 

referees still consult with linesmen on decisions in doubt anyhow

6 hours ago, Lewis said:

There was a game recently (think it might have been Russia v New Zealand on Saturday?) where the video ref got it wrong as well, can you imagine the amount of scrutiny they'd come under if that happened in this country? Just not needed.

Think your talking about a goal in chile vs cameroon

20 hours ago, Shaymus said:

In the interest of fairness, and with so many cameras around capturing everything from so many angles, and with other sports already using technology, this has to be the way the game has to go.  

If they can guarantee a timescale that it will be applied at all FL and non league levels then yes. Otherwise leave the sport alone. 

Posted (edited)

I think there are three issues:

1 - some refs will defer to the video ref even if they're 99.9999% sure of their decision. The powers that be need to give them the support and encouragement they need to be confident in their decision making

2 - as has already been said there needs to be clear information as to what exactly the review is checking. Learn from rugby union in this respect

3 - situations will arise where what is being checked will be ok, but some other problem will become apparent during the checking process - they need to decide how to deal with this. (I think this may have been what happened with Chile's second goal yesterday, it seemed they were checking the offside immediately prior to the goal and unwittingly showed Sanchez was offside earlier in the move)

But for a system in its infancy it seems more good than bad, and the bad can be improved on easily

Edited by SteveM

On 6/19/2017, 9:52:59, riccardo259 said:

There's no need to review every single decision, just the potentially game-changing ones

Herein lies the problem; every decision in football is a potentially game changing decision. Something as simple as a wrong throw-in decision can quickly be a game changing decision. Thats why any introduction of technology should be left minimal.