Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Marco Basic

15 posts in this topic

Good to see Mr Heath is looking at our young blokes. Khan and him already.

Nice to see progression I'm all for it but from what I saw of him in the cup games last season I'm not convinced he'll be good enough. That was only 3-4 games I saw so I suppose I'm being very harsh on the lad and the powers that be have seen a lot more of him in action than I have.

I hope I'm wrong and he might thrive with a chance at proper grown up football.

Cue replies calling me negative and cruel. haha.

Just now, Icke's Lizard said:

Nice to see progression I'm all for it but from what I saw of him in the cup games last season I'm not convinced he'll be good enough. That was only 3-4 games I saw so I suppose I'm being very harsh on the lad and the powers that be have seen a lot more of him in action than I have.

I hope I'm wrong and he might thrive with a chance at proper grown up football.

Cue replies calling me negative and cruel. haha.

I've seen him 3 or 4 times and he's played very well each time. Definitely good enough,  maybe with one season out on loan in my opinion

Probably due to his age we have to either offer a contract or release

6 hours ago, Hxmitch said:

Offered contract. Well done another under 19 coming through the ranks.

Big difference between getting offered. Contract and actually coming through the ranks. I fail to see any point in the upcoming season where we will be able to give the under19s gametime bar the West riding cup 

8 hours ago, Greggs said:

Big difference between getting offered. Contract and actually coming through the ranks. I fail to see any point in the upcoming season where we will be able to give the under19s gametime bar the West riding cup 

Isn't that how it is at every club?

If your good enough your old enough, you'll never win anything with kids, when the chance comes you have to take it.

Those are things said in football at all levels for the last 50 years at least. Kids come through but it's not a golden path.

If you're good enough you're old enough.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, Greggs said:

Yes, but also a club at our level isn't going to be just handing out contracts to youth players as standard because we can't afford it. If he's been offered a contract then the management must see something in him, even if he doesn't make an immediate progression to the 1st team

our main chance with young players is likely to be to  find 'slow developers' because any young kid showing outstanding talent will most likely get lured to a bigger club at an early age.

Unlikely he'll start this year but he'll be in the system and who knows he may have a great performance on loan and be given a chance. Same as Khan. I'd rather that we look at judiciously, not willy nilly, handing at contracts to our young blokes. They are free, they have Shaymen background and this year they are winners.

On 17/06/2017, 08:11:38, Riders of Rohan said:

Isn't that how it is at every club?

If your good enough your old enough, you'll never win anything with kids, when the chance comes you have to take it.

Those are things said in football at all levels for the last 50 years at least. Kids come through but it's not a golden path.

Never win anything with kids? Hmm class of 92?

On 17/06/2017, 09:34:04, royals1922 said:

Unlikely he'll start this year but he'll be in the system and who knows he may have a great performance on loan and be given a chance. Same as Khan. I'd rather that we look at judiciously, not willy nilly, handing at contracts to our young blokes. They are free, they have Shaymen background and this year they are winners.

Totally agree Ross Barrows went out on loan did Really well scoring 4 goals 1 assist in 7 games, rewarded with a new contract 

If you haven't already, read the big Interview in this weeks NLP with Jon McCarthy, Chester manager, who says 'there's almost got to be a space in our team for one of our academy players'. They are concentrating on developing their own as a long term strategy. Interesting read.

1 hour ago, andrich said:

If you haven't already, read the big Interview in this weeks NLP with Jon McCarthy, Chester manager, who says 'there's almost got to be a space in our team for one of our academy players'. They are concentrating on developing their own as a long term strategy. Interesting read.

It's the way forward. Playing kids may cost us a point here or there or miss a tackle or miss a goal, but then so will a signing. The difference is they are Town home grown.

I could understand why Mr Heath didn't play them last year given it was a horrible league and he was new to the club.

But I believe passionately that if our winning kids have the talent, we have to play them. If I ever have any doubt, I look at a mid to late 80s programme and see the young faces of our glittering youth teams.

1 person likes this